Home Made Victory Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
My LHBS doesn't sell Victory and I don't want to place an order online when I only need a pound, so I'm planning on toasting 0.5lb of 2-Row in oven for 15 mins @ 300° (I think I read something about this on one of Yooper's posts). My questions are will this work? and do I need to let it age for any amount of time before I can use it? I'd like to brew sometime this weekend, if I make the Victory in the oven tonight will it be ready to use by then?

I don't think it will be exactly like victory but it does make a nice toasty malt. I have done it a couple of times following these directions http://howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html He says to age it 2 weeks but I don't remember doing that I think I did like the day before brewing and it was fine from what I remember.

Victory is the Briess Trademark name for biscuit malt. Your LHBS will have some type of biscuit malt I am sure it is very common. You can roast/toast 2-row in the oven as I have done several times. Normally 1lb on a 1 inch deep sheet pan @ 350 for 45 minutes turning and stirring every 10 to 15 minutes until I get a nice golden brown. Some kernels darker, some lighter. 15 minutes @ 300 will not result in much toasting. I normally let them cool in a paper bag for 24 hours before use but I do not know that it is necessary. The flavor will be different than biscuit malt. Biscuit has a bread like flavor and the oven toasted I have done are more nutty flavors, but perhaps a light toasting will be the key. Start low and slow and taste it. Increase temp and time and keep tasting until you get the flavor you want.
Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks for the replies! I'm not too worried if its not exactly like Victory malt, as long as I get a little toasty flavor. I'm brewing an amber ale, I'll post the grain bill:

9.5 lbs 2-row
0.5 lbs Victory
1.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Crystal 80

Do you think 0.5 lbs of Victory will be enough to bring the toasty flavor through or would I be better off bumping it up to 1.0 lbs?

I hope the people in this thread are still participating in the forum! I roasted some pale malt after reading this thread. After roasting it i left it in a paper bag and the aroma seems to be getting stronger and stronger - more nutty, which is awesome and just what I wanted.

The recipe (here) requires .5 lb of vcitory malt.

I made 500 grams - what are the risks of chucking it all in?

I would think since it is pale malt with a bit of roasting it shouldn't cause a problem, it will make the final deal very nutty. Which is exactly what I am after.

Hi, it's been a while since I brewed this one but if I remember correctly it turned out pretty good. If I could do it again I think I'd increase the amount of victory to 1lb or else lower the other specialty grains to see if I could get a bit more out of it. I haven't done a side by side to see how the home victory tastes compared to the real stuff but I did get a nice flavor from it. I don't know what your recipe is but I don't think you'd have any problems if you want to use the full 500 grams.

i did the palmer technique for roasting the victory style, nice aroma and taste, but i havent brewed with it yet. i also tried what he suggested for making brown malt, the result came out quite strength in the end of the brown porter i made, but that could be to a funky recipe and fluctuating fermentation.

re : palmer technique for roasting
Can anyone provide info or a link that can guide me in comparing the descriptions in Palmer's info to the characteristics of commonly used grains?

re : palmer technique for roasting
Can anyone provide info or a link that can guide me in comparing the descriptions in Palmer's info to the characteristics of commonly used grains?

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html

i just used this method for some self toasted 'biscuit malt' in an english mild i tossed in the fermenter this morning- lets see what comes.

drumuglyknuckles ... I was hoping to get a comparison of those 7 categories of roasted grains on Palmer's page to commonly used grains from the LHBS ie Palmer's 'lightly toasted' = what grain ?? from the LHBS... Crystal?

Latest posts

Back