Wyeast 1968 funky fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
Stone Pale Ale clone, 1.054, 60seconds of Oxygen with a stone and pitched with Wyeast 1968 on a stir plate for 36hours.
12 hours after pitching and it looks like this.
I've used White Labs 002 and never saw anything like this.
Anyone else get this before?

image-3428333128.jpg

I use this yeast as my house strain. I've seen much weirder. I've got a mild that looks kind of like this right now.

RDWHAHB

OP did you use Irish moss or Whirlfloc?

I've seen something similar, when I put too many croutons on my french onion soup. Had to add extra cheese after that.

Yep used some whirfloc.

About an hour after taking the picture it is now forming a Krausen.
All is good, just curious since its my first time using this yeast.

Looks normal for ESB yeast. It gets really chunky and weird and will take FOREVER to drop out of suspension.

Looks normal for ESB yeast. It gets really chunky and weird and will take FOREVER to drop out of suspension.

That seems just the opposite of what fast flocculation is about. Seems more like protein coagulation in the OP picture, although if you guys say it's normal then well I believe you.

Stone Pale Ale clone, 1.054, 60seconds of Oxygen with a stone and pitched with Wyeast 1968 on a stir plate for 36hours.
12 hours after pitching and it looks like this.
I've used White Labs 002 and never saw anything like this.
Anyone else get this before?

Protein clumps. Chill in your boil kettle longer and whirlpool it if you want to keep it out of the fermenter.

Protein clumps. Chill in your boil kettle longer and whirlpool it if you want to keep it out of the fermenter.

Perhaps as I am doing that, and straining through a big bed of leaf hops, I avoid such problems. Another technique I like is to really get rid of the scum during the initial hot break. That's the protein nastiness I skim off before I add even a leaf of hops. You lose little if you bring it to a big boil, use a slotted spoon and toss that sh*t protein scum. After the initial FWH, it's a great idea to skim off the scum protein one more time, and problems later.

Back