Yeast won't fall and beer is fermented

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimmerbrew

Reaction score
I just brewed a Belgian Triple and it's been two weeks in primary. I checked gravity and it is 7.5%. Kit says its supposed to be 8.5 but I got a lower original gravity then what they had. I am assuming fermentation is completed.

There was a large yeast cake at the bottom, and I transferred to secondary yesterday. There is another yeast cake already and yeast still in suspension.

The carboy is in my keg fridge for cold crashing and I added gelatin. Hoping both of these things will clear the bear, though while this makes a crystal clear beer I am unsure if it will make the yeast fall.

Side note: I tasted the beer from the top where there wasn't any yeast and it is really good as well as tasting completed.

Is this all grain or extract? What was your OG? What was the kit’s expected FG? What reading did you get with a calibrated hydrometer? What was the reason to transfer to a secondary? What kind of yeast did you use and what percent of attenuation has it achieved?

you can confirm fermentation is done by taking readings a day apart and making sure they are the same. Though that won't work now that you've started to cold crash because you'll have put the yeast to sleep.

The yeast should fall from suspension if they were finished after some time cold crashing. Just give it a day or two once it's fully dropped in temp. Different yeasts fall out of suspension easier than others, but they should drop out regardless.

I just brewed a Belgian Triple and it's been two weeks in primary. I checked gravity and it is 7.5%. Kit says its supposed to be 8.5 but I got a lower original gravity then what they had. I am assuming fermentation is completed.

There was a large yeast cake at the bottom, and I transferred to secondary yesterday. There is another yeast cake already and yeast still in suspension.

The carboy is in my keg fridge for cold crashing and I added gelatin. Hoping both of these things will clear the bear, though while this makes a crystal clear beer I am unsure if it will make the yeast fall.

Side note: I tasted the beer from the top where there wasn't any yeast and it is really good as well as tasting completed.

Was this an all grain recipe or an extract recipe? Which yeast did you use?

Some yeasts will take a week or more to drop the last three gravity points. I would have left it in the primary longer, up to four or five weeks, to avoid potential problems with an unfinished fermentation. Kegging should avoid any potential problems. With bottles and if the fermentation was definitely complete no problem. A fermentation finishing in the bottles during the conditioning time could lead to bottles shattering from excessive pressure.

4-5 weeks sounds super excessive. I agree you want fermentation done, but I've never had to leave a beer in longer than 2 weeks to get there. (Brett was the exception). Standard advise is take gravity readings once the yeast starts to drop, then take one again the next day. Repeat until the two readings are the same. You'll be fine if you do this.

I am convinced the fermentation is complete. Its been sitting in primary for 2 weeks and has 7.5% abv. The original kit was said to give 8.5% abv but I started with a lower OG then kit said I would get so that would make sense.

By transferring it to secondary and cold crashing I assumed the yeast would fall. Is this what I should be doing or should I leave it out? I added gelatin to help clarify but I dont see it cleaning up.

There is another yeast layer forming at the bottom but still cloudy yeasty beer.

I used a safale Belgian yeat btw, cant remember which one though...

Also there is a brown dark ring at the top of my beer. This happens alot. after I transfer to secondary. What is it?

Back