my beer wont clear in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
i brewed a lager two weeks ago and split it into two fermeners. one got dry cellar science german yeast. it worked perfect

the other was a repitch of a pint of cellar science baja slurry (3rd generation) . it wont clear in the fermenter. i tried cold crashing . i tried warming it up then cold crashing. when i pour off a sample and leave it a t room temp it clears and there is a thick layer of yeast on the bottom after a few hours. it doesn't taste off just very yeasty until it settles. then it tastes like flat beer.

what would you do. gelatin in the fermenter. tranfer to keg anyway. or maybe try a brightening tank type of vessel prior to kegging?

i am now a little weary of repitching.

thanks

Gelatin will most likely clear you up. Anytime I brew up my pils, I always add clarityferm the same time I pitch my yeast. I always end up with amazingly clear beer and it allows me to skip the gelatin step later on. Just something to think about on future batches.

thanks so 1 pack of flavorless clear gelatin in 1/4 cup of water heated cooled and tossed into fermenter. wait 2-3 days.

sound right ?

Gelatin will most likely clear you up. Anytime I brew up my pils, I always add clarityferm the same time I pitch my yeast. I always end up with amazingly clear beer and it allows me to skip the gelatin step later on. Just something to think about on future batches.
i used whirlfoc in the boil. i am hoping this is just suspended yeast and nothing worse. could failure to drop be a sign of infection.

Time will clear it too. Just leave it alone in the FV. Keep the temperature steady. Eventually all the suspended stuff will be on the bottom. Might be a day, might be two or more weeks from now.

fwiw, the popular opinion seems to favor applying gelatin to cold beer...

Cheers!
thanks
Time will clear it too. Just leave it alone in the FV. Keep the temperature steady. Eventually all the suspended stuff will be on the bottom. Might be a day, might be two or more weeks from now.
i dont have the patientce - pipe line running low

thanks so 1 pack of flavorless clear gelatin in 1/4 cup of water heated cooled and tossed into fermenter. wait 2-3 days.

sound right ?

i used whirlfoc in the boil. i am hoping this is just suspended yeast and nothing worse. could failure to drop be a sign of infection.
I don't think failure to drop is a sign of infection. Yes, it's possible infected beer can be cloudy, but it doesn't mean cloudy beer is infected. This thread shows how many options you have to allow beer to clear: Gelatin, Clarityferm, and good old father time, as hotbeer suggested. You'll eventually zero in on what works best for you.

You'd only use 1 teaspoon of (unflavored) gelatin powder (e.g., Knox) ... dissolved in 3/4 cup of hot water.
Let cool and add to your beer.

If it clears after sitting at room temp for a few hours you may want to let the fermenter sit at room temp for a while.

Or at times I leave my beer at 30 degrees for a while when I don’t have a keg available… after a week or so it is always quite clear

do you swirl the FV after adding the gelatin or can i just pour it in.

do you swirl the FV after adding the gelatin or can i just pour it in.
Everything I've read says 'gently stir'. I just do a broadcast pour over the surface and it seems to do the job. However, if you're using a small mouthed vessel like a carboy, it wouldn't hurt to mix it in a bit. Probably not the best time to use a wine whip though.

Back