yeast washing tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
when adding in the water to wash the yeast.. don't go overboard. I just washed some nottingham last night and poured in almost 2 gallons of water ( no idea why) I got like 10 bottles of washed yeast but each one only has MAYBE 1/16th-1/8th inch of yeast in the bottom now that it has settled out. I know I can still make a starter with it but half the water or less would have given me better yeast volume in each bottle... ALSO laying the carboy on its side while the initial slurry settles out makes the second wash pretty much unnecessary. GREAT IDEA (cant remember who it was on here who posted about doing it that way).

So I've been wondering about this since I was looking up information about the benefits of conical fermenters, but what exactly is washing the yeast? Is that how you can reuse the yeast? How do you go about that? Maybe I should start my own thread?

There is actually a lot out there about washing yeast. Some good pictorials too. Basically you add about a gallon of boiled and cooled water to your yeast cake after racking beer from your primary. Shake that up and then let it sit. The protien, hops, and other crap settle to the bottom while the yeast stays in suspension, or rests on top of the crap. You pour off the water and yeast into 4 sanitized quart or 8 pint mason jars and stick them in the fridge. If you see additional crap mixed in with the cream colored yeast, you can just stir them all up and redo it. Pretty simple. I just did it for the first time and it was easier than expected. Just remember that the shelf life is about a month before the yeast really starts to die off.

OHIOSTEVE - good advice, thank you.

Only a month in the fridge before the yeast dies off? I thought others were keeping yeast for months?

OHIOSTEVE - good advice, thank you.

Only a month in the fridge before the yeast dies off? I thought others were keeping yeast for months?

I have used some 5-6 month old stuff with no problem.. I have had one jar that went bad after about 6 mos.. stunk like hell when I opened it and after several days I had nothing in the starter.

I haven't reused yeast yet but I keep thinking about trying this... Do you dump the whole quart/pint of water and yeast into the wort the next time you want to use it or do you somehow separate the yeast from some of the water? Thanks.

The DME you will need for a starter is more expensive than a fresh pack of Notty, easier and cheaper to use a fresh pack.

Agreed Notty is relatively cheap, but I don't use a starter when using harvested yeast within a month.

Not sure how much Notty is where you shop, but where I live, the electricity to heat the water is probably more than the 0.99 for a new pack.

I find yeast washing an excellent excuse to start using new yeast varieties.:rockin:

I am running an experiment right now on two US-05 re-uses.

The first one I simply dumped the new wort right on top, into the bucket, trub goop and all.

The second I washed, removed all the floating "good" yeast. and pitched.

So far, both fermentations seem to be on the same course.

I think the interesting thing will be the third iteration :)

Seems worth it to me. I'm looking at some dry yeasts at 3-7 bucks a pack and if I want to convert liquid yeast over to gluten free, I'm looking at doing some yeast washing. It's a nice stickied article, but I haven't quite as yet tried it. Practiced some with one yeast, but my other ones weren't worth attempting since it wasn't the primary. I'll likely be doing both methods next so if you keep track of that comparison, let us know.

I haven't reused yeast yet but I keep thinking about trying this... Do you dump the whole quart/pint of water and yeast into the wort the next time you want to use it or do you somehow separate the yeast from some of the water? Thanks.

Yes seperate the yeast from the water. I use a turkey baster because its what i have:D

I have used some 5-6 month old stuff with no problem.. I have had one jar that went bad after about 6 mos.. stunk like hell when I opened it and after several days I had nothing in the starter.

good to know! I think I'll be doing this the next time I use a $10 wyeast

I save my yeast in White Labs vials, and a fellow brewer does the same. I was out of WLP400 (Belgian Wit), so I asked him if he had some he could lend me.

The vial he gave me was from April, and I just made a starter tonight, since it was so old I made a 1 liter starter, opposed to the 2 liters I normally start with.

I'll step it up to a 4 liter starter, chill/decant, pitch half, make another 4 liter starter, chill/decant, and add 1/2 of the yeast to two vials with sterile water. This way, I'll have WLP400 for a future brew!

Anyhow that was an off topic tangent, but might give you an idea of how to keep yeast on hand for a bit, at least out to 5-6 generations, a $7-8 vial/smack-pack, with some planning can save you $100's, literally.

Regardless, the 8 month old vial that I cracked open today was active after leaving it out for a couple hours, when I cracked it open, ther was a hiss, and co2 bubbles, so I'm confident my starter will be fine with a couple of step-ups.

It just goes to show, that even after 8 months washed yeast can still be good.

Having said that, I did throw away a shot ton of washed yeast that I had in my fridge for well over a year, it had the gray layer of death sitting on the top of the cream colored yeast. Not to say that I couldn't make a viable starter out of it, I was concerned aboutyeast mutationand what have you, I was probably paranoid, but the yeast eas old, I didn't wanna chance it.

Agreed Notty is relatively cheap, but I don't use a starter when using harvested yeast within a month.

I dont use a starter with my washed yeast either. I usually through in 2 of them for higher grav. I dont know if this is a good idea, but it seems to be working out alright.

Yes seperate the yeast from the water. I use a turkey baster because its what i have:D
If I am reading this right, it is a whole lot easier to pour off the water until you have equal parts yeast and water, shake the shyt out of it and pitch.

+1 to this. I just keep my washed yeast in a sanatized 1 gallon container, then repitch straight slurry using Mr. Malty's pitching rate calculator.

If I am reading this right, it is a whole lot easier to pour off the water until you have equal parts yeast and water, shake the shyt out of it and pitch.

Yeah that is easier. The only reason I take out all the water I can is that if I wash yeast from a strong IPA I'm afraid Ill get some of the Hop flavors in my next brew. It only takes about 30 seconds or so to suck it out with a turkey baster and just makes me feel better:). Then i swirl the yeast up let them warm up and when my brew is done and has been cooled I take some of the wart out with my baster and add it to the yeast. Swirl and pitch. It may not make much difference in flavor but i feel it helps me be a little more consistent.

+1 to this. I just keep my washed yeast in a sanatized 1 gallon container, then repitch straight slurry using Mr. Malty's pitching rate calculator.

I have a hard time understanding how the slurry calculator works, since it is hard to determine exactly how much slurry you might have since usually there isn't any measurement.

I have a hard time understanding how the slurry calculator works, since it is hard to determine exactly how much slurry you might have since usually there isn't any measurement.

My guess is you poor the slurry into a measuring cup or something with ml listed. Notice the slurry calculator has "# ml of yeast needed". Only problem is not knowing thickness factor to use.

Small sanitized funnel.

simplest explanation is usually the correct one. ha ha ha.:cross: thanks i didnt ask that question very well but good answer. I was wondering if you wash the yeast into mason jars then transfer or if you put them in the vials at the time of wash. either way about how many vials do you end up with.

Well I have only gotten so far Wyeast in the bag and if i can not pay $7 each time the wife would be much happier :) so if you dong have white labs yeast then.. :)

My guess is you poor the slurry into a measuring cup or something with ml listed. Notice the slurry calculator has "# ml of yeast needed". Only problem is not knowing thickness factor to use.

This is exactly right. I typically leave the thickness at the default setting. Jamil has said on his show that the default is the typical thickness of a slurry after a beer has been racked off of it. So generally I wash my yeast, put it in a 1 gallon container, put it in the fridge so it all flocs out, decant then use.

I feel like I get more yeast this way and less hops and other crud. Jamil said on the same show that he doesn't even wash his yeast, he just stores it in a sanatized jar until he needs to use it again.

I have taken a ziploc baggie and dumped trub into it then tossed it in the fridge for a few days. The next time I brewed I simplt cut off the corner and squeezed the trub into my new brew. worked perfectly.

I'll step it up to a 4 liter starter, chill/decant, pitch half, make another 4 liter starter, chill/decant, and add 1/2 of the yeast to two vials with sterile water. This way, I'll have WLP400 for a future brew!

I do this now, I was fretting over washing yeast, when it dawned on me, why not just make a big starter with the liquid yeast and split it into 4 containers, save 3 of them and make another starter from the remaining yeast, by doing this I can have loads of yeast in relatively few generations, and without the work of washing a huge yeast cake.

For space saving, baby food is cheap. Just find some you might like or just go for the cheapest ones.

I save and use the 5-hour Energy drink bottles.

For space saving, baby food is cheap. Just find some you might like or just go for the cheapest ones.

im mainly curious i guess about a jar that small, do you wash the yeast cold crash it then decant and transfer to smaller jars or just wash it direct into the smaller jars

haha and to think i just recycled the last 20 or so baby food jars i have about 3 months ago.. our youngest is 2.5 years old now.. I have a neighbor though with a 3 month old.. ! Another good idea! Thanks!

im mainly curious i guess about a jar that small, do you wash the yeast cold crash it then decant and transfer to smaller jars or just wash it direct into the smaller jars
I cold crash, decant off most of the liquid, swirl it good and pour this slurry into a sanitized measuring cup. Then I add a measured amount of Glycerin, stir it well, fill the bottles, put the bottles back in the fridge for 24 hours and then freeze.

I have now used 2 strains from my stash 14 bottles of 8 different frozen samples. I just thaw them out ahead of time. The ones I used were frozen back in May and June. Fermented like gang busters. I got 76% attenuation after only 5 days on a 1.063 OG brew.

haha and to think i just recycled the last 20 or so baby food jars i have about 3 months ago.. our youngest is 2.5 years old now.. I have a neighbor though with a 3 month old.. ! Another good idea! Thanks!
The wife just shakes her head whenever we pass the Baby food isle in the store. I like the 5-Hour drink bottles better anyway. They hold just enough for a good starter and they take way less room to store. I like them better than the White Labs vials because they can STAND UP.

Latest posts

Back