Yeast Scientists: Why not create yeast collections before brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewdyQuah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the remedial question here, I'm new to yeast reuse.

I've read several articles on washing/storing/reusing yeast after a successful brew. That all makes sense to me.

It seems a bit unnecessarily tedious to attempt to separate the trub & collect the slurry in a sanitary fashion (a little tricky for those of us who ferment in kegs).

Would it be worth it to propagate/create the collections before brewing? ie....Mix a couple of dry yeast packets in a larger volume starter solution for 24-48 hours. Then pour into 6-8 mason jars and store/use. Effectively you've served the same purpose, but now have clean(no trub) samples. Thoughts?

That's a valid technique that many people use.

I build a larger starter than I need, pour off a pint when it is done, and keep it in the fridge for future use.

Why would you need a couple dry yeast packs? One pack in a starter should be plenty - increase the starter size if you need more.

If you’re using dry yeast, why sacrifice long-term storage by hydrating therefore turning them into wet yeast?

If you want to repitch yeast, limit trub transfer to FV, don’t bother ‘washing’ the yeast and repitch fresh to avoid the need to make a starter.

Back