Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traughber

Reaction score
I'm planning an Imperial IPA brew for later this month. Beersmith says the OG is going to be 1098. I've been told anything over a 1060, it's recommended to use a starter. So I've ordered a stir plate, 2000ml flask, and stopper. My questions are.... 1. In a 5 gallon batch with a 1098 OG, how much starter should I make. 2. I plan on keeping my starter in my temp controlled fermenting room. Do I need to use an air lock, or just cover the end of the flask. 3. Do I need to cold crash and decant or just pitch the whole starter. This is my first time using a starter and unsure of these things. Any advise would be greatly helpful.

-No air lock, just tin foil.
-You can pitch the whole starter if it's still fermenting, or if it's gonna be a few days and it's done fermenting just crash it in the fridge, same difference.
-how much starter to make? I would make the full 2L. 5 gallon batch is another good idea. Either will work good. There is a proper amount. It's probably somewhere inbetween.

Mr Malty is showing two yeast packs with a 1.43 liter starter if the package date is June 1st or better. If you only have one yeast pack, u can visit yeastcalc.com and get the additions to step up ur starter to where it needs to be. this will take some extra time, probably a day or two.

DO NOT use an airlock. Use either a foam stopper that may have come with the kit or sanitize a piece of foil and wrap thta around the top. U want air to get in but nothing bad and an airlock would prohibit that.

As far as chilling and decanting its up to u. Ive never done it and just pitched everything in. Ur using base malt and with a IIPA, i doubt the extra liquid will make much of a difference in total volume or taste since ur using a ton of hops.

Thanks for all the advise. I had not heard of Mr. Malty yet, but have it now.

Back