Do your starters foam really bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I have a 3.5 liter starter going in a 4 liter flask and it’s is foaming out really bad, even with the stir plate off. Is this normal? Next time I guess I’ll need to oversized the flask to the volume or add defoamer or both. What do you do to control this?

It's normal. But it also depends on things like yeast strain, temperature, and starter method.

I tend to use even more headspace (proportionally) in a starter than in a main batch. Defoamer (Fermcap) also works.

When I'm pressed for headroom I use a couple of drops of Fermcap.

btw, if you leave the stir plate off for long during peak krausen be very careful about turning it back on.
I once had a bar get tossed and when I found out perhaps hours later and got the bar spinning again there was a volcanic reaction 😮

Cheers!

When I'm pressed for headroom I use a couple of drops of Fermcap.

btw, if you leave the stir plate off for long during peak krausen be very careful about turning it back on.
I once had a bar get tossed and when I found out perhaps hours later and got the bar spinning again there was a volcanic reaction 😮

Cheers!
When I turn it on right now you can hear all the carbonation leaving at once and the foil lifts up off the top like it’s blasting off lol

Back