Lost my foam stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I'm making a 1000ml yeast starter and lost my foam stopper for my flask. Is it safe to use my blow-off preventer? Or is there another best method until I can order a new stopper?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Loosely crimp a piece (5x5" or 6x6") of aluminum foil over the flask's neck/opening.
I've always done it that way, never used foam stoppers.

BTW, what's a blow-off preventer?
What volume is that flask? I hope it's at least 1.5 liter for a 1 liter starter.

Loosely crimp a piece (5x5" or 6x6") of aluminum foil over the flask's neck/opening.

What volume is that flask? I hope it's at least 1.5 liter for a 1 liter starter.
The aluminum foil is the answer. Remember to spray it with Starsan.
You shouldn’t need anything else unless you’re trying to do a 1 liter starter in an erlenmeyer less than 1.5-2 L

@IslandLizard - This worked perfectly. I sanitized the exterior of my flask, and aluminum foil and ended up with a very active yeast starter. Fermentation in the primary is doing very well.

Sorry - when I said blow-off preventer, I meant air-lock

IMG_0719.jpeg

Back