Yeast Starter Blew Its Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Made a 1.75 liter starter for a 10.75gal Chocolate Oatmeal Stout last night, which used 2 packs Omega-004 and 5.92oz DME. Done similar several times, but, unlike those times, I woke this morning to the foil top laying next to the my 2k ml flask, completely uncovered.

My hopeful side tells me, "That outward pressure may have kept it safe."
My logical side tells me, "Not worth ruining 26.5 lbs of grains, hops, etc, order a 5k ml erlenmeyer flask and live to brew another day."

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I‘d use a sanitized spoon to clear the neck of the flask of krausen and use it.

I think this is what I'd do too. Anything "bad" is probably on top, if present at all.

Saying not to use it is like inferring the beer from a Yorkshire square should be dumped. This happened to me once(yeah right!) I pitched and no worries.

Tend to agree but then again I dumped out 5 gallons of recently fermented Russian Imperial Stout that had soured. I had incredibly good cleaning and sanitation going on, including a new valve in the fermenter just to be sure on that one. Can't say for sure but guessing some wild yeast entered the equation, one that the other yeast didn't take over for, one that could eat up the dextrins or whatever. But I did brew in the garage, so who knows how much worse that might be than in the house.

Latest posts

Back