Yeast Nutrients Floating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmforbiddendonut

Reaction score
I have a very dark porter that I've had in primary for 6 days. Fermentation appears nearly complete, the yeast are close to settling out (another day or two to completion for clarity). The problem is that there is a ton of the yeast nutrients from the dry yeast i used. I paid little attention to actually reading instructions on the Munton's Standard ale yeast I used. I didn't bother reconstituting the yeast in water prior to pitching and just dumped the packet into the fermenter with my cooled wort. Fermentation went just fine (very active at 12 hours) but now the nutrients are floating on top. Should I do something about this or just rack it off to secondary and not care?
This is my second batch I've made, and I've already decided for my next batch to just use liquid yeast.

Full recipe:
6.6# john bull dark
1# dark dme
1# black patent
.5# american chocolate
.5# crystal 120L
2 oz Northern Brewer
1 oz Tettnang
OG 1.062, FG not tested yet.

- mmm... forbidden donut

When the time comes, just rack and leave any floaty things behind.

Fwiw, I have never rehydrated my dry yeast and I just pitch it on top of my cooled wort.

Yeah everything is good, just let it ferment out then rack it into your secondary. No matter the yeast that you use you should look up some of the threads on Yeast Starters. They will help your brew out greatly. Cheers

Back