Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephro

Reaction score
Do you use yeast nutrients?

Do you use them in just your starter or in the primary?

What kind do you use?

I've been using the stuff you can buy at your LHBS that is simply labeled "Yeast Nutrient" it's mix of stuff you add 1tsp/gallon

Is this necessary?

I use Wyeast brand. I add it to both the starter and late in the boil. I had one ferment stop on me and since then I've used nutrient and plenty of aeration. All my ferments since have been pretty violent. :)

I'm curious about this too. Last brew took forever to start (I had it too cold), so I went and bought more yeast at LHBS. The girl also sold me a packet of nutrient to try to get things moving. I ended up using neither, as it started fermenting as soon as I had bought the stuff (of course...).

So now I have a packet of yeast nutrient, and have to decide whether I should use it or not from now on...

I use it in my starters and on my last brew I put some in the boil at the end. The brew still has a thick krausen after 7 days in primary although it will take a few more brews to make me start thinking it is helping.

Hey,

I've made beer with and without yeast nutrient and I honestly I have not really noticed a big difference either way. I do use it when I rack from the primary to the secondary. I always add 1 tablespoon for 23 litres of beer just so the yeast will stay alive long enough for me to bulk prime. Wether this is really necessary I'm not sure but I've never had problems bulk priming and ending up with flat beer.

Anyone else do the same? or is just me :)

Cheers,
Marc

Necessary, no. Helpful, yes. I use nutrient in ciders, meads and when I'm make a starter. It doesn't seem to make much difference for a batch that is all grain with a dried yeast.

Back