Another "Did I ruin my Mead" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Long time brewer here, newb at mead, but so far having a lot of fun learning all of the new stuff and techniques that normally isnt encountered with beer brewing. Here is my question du jour.... I made 4 separate batches of mead over the past week with varying honeys, fruits, yeasts, etc. Just trying some test batches to see how things work out. I have been degassing twice daily and adding fermaid-o at the 24, 48 and 72 hour marks. I will be adding the 1/3 sugar break addition today for the first 2. As i was doing some reading last night I realized that what I thought I had bought on Amazon as go-ferm was actually yeast nutrient DAP+urea. Yes, its what I rehydrated my yeast with. After doing some reading i learned that this combo is toxic to yeast and should not be used in rehydrating... awesome. What exaclty happens with the "toxic" aspect of it? Does it produce off flavors (I know urea can if not used up by the yeast)? Would it have straight up killed the yeast? Or just injure them?

I have active fermentation, albeit slow fermentation, which from what I can tell is normal in mead (campred to the vigorous fermentations Im used to in ales) so I cant tell if the yeast nutrient had any negative affects. Should I mix up a new slurry with actual goferm and pitch? Add another does of fermaid-o? Just continue as normal and pray for the best?

Any thoughts/help would be appreaciated!

Thanks!

P.S. after reading about the potential carcinogenic capabilities of urea/urethane i trashed, the nutrient, so thats already been take care of.

Back