Yeast dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I've got two BB porter kits that I'm going to brew tonight. My plan was to buy one tube of liquid yeast and make a starter so I could pitch both batches. Well, I bought the yeast but didn't make the starter.

I guess my options are:
1. pitch one with the liquid and the other with the Nottingham that came with the kits.
2. Pitch both with dry.
3. pour half the liquid into each fermenter and put a full package of dry in after it.

Think adding the liquid will make any difference or should I just save it for later?

Seems like a perfect opportunity to see what the differences are between the liquid (you didn't say what strain) and the Nottingham. I'd pitch one with the liquid and the other with Nottingham (which is a perfectly fine choice) and see if you can tell any real differences. Be real interesting to hear what you find.

That's what I was thinking, keep tabs on the time it takes to see activity, get to FG, etc. and of course the taste.

I did side-by-side ferments on a porter using Cal V and Nottingham. The Nottingham ended with a lower FG, but it wasn't a big enough difference to taste.

You might consider putting half of each batch of wort into each fermenter to ensure an even start.

Be interesting to here your results. Take lots of notes, start time, etc.

Back