Dbl batch... Different gravities?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a double batch (10gallons)
I used a plated chiller and transfered the batch into two different fermzilla fermenters. I transfered one gallon at a time and swapped back and forth between the fermenters (only for the first 4 gallons) I let the worst settle/sit for 45mins before starting the chill/transfers. I made a 2L starter and poured the same starter into both fermenters (I eyeballed splitting the starter. Both fermented side by side at 18degrees C
FG = .0100
FG= .0230
I have measured both beers using a hydrometer (not refractor)
The only difference between these two beers is that I put a brand-new RAPT Pill into the one fermenter that finished high.

How can one gravity be so high?? The only logical answer I have is that literally all the sugar settled to the bottom of the kettle and the first gallon poured off ended in one fermenter???
Maybe My Rapt Pill had hand cream all over it and it hurt the yeast?
I don't aerate my wort before pitching yeast... Maybe I shook one fermenter unintentionally?

I am puzzled and don't know what I should do, anyone ever have an issue like this before??
Thanks!

I would think (based on my vast experience of brewing about 25 or so small batches over the last 1.5+ years [lol]) that your 1.023 beer isn't actually done fermenting. How long has it been at that gravity?

I would think (based on my vast experience of brewing about 25 or so small batches over the last 1.5+ years [lol]) that your 1.023 beer isn't actually done fermenting. How long has it been at that gravity?
Only 8 days. You could absolutely be right. I'm just shocked that one fermenter is at FG and my other is only ticking down 0.001 per day. So 3 days ago it was 0.025, the next day 0.024, and now today 0.023.

What yeast did you use?

18C/64F is on the cooler side. You could just be right on the edge of good fermentation and get very different FG with seemingly small differences. Especially with no oxygen added.

The wort could've been slightly cooler in one fermentor vs the other. Split of yeast wasn't fully even, or yeast slurry had more yeast in one part.

I agree with previous post to let it keep fermenting, maybe add some heat to the higher gravity one and it might still get there.

What yeast did you use?

18C/64F is on the cooler side. You could just be right on the edge of good fermentation and get very different FG with seemingly small differences. Especially with no oxygen added.

The wort could've been slightly cooler in one fermentor vs the other. Split of yeast wasn't fully even, or yeast slurry had more yeast in one part.

I agree with previous post to let it keep fermenting, maybe add some heat to the higher gravity one and it might still get there.
Thanks, I agree with everything you've said. It was safeale-us 05. It was an old yeast slurry that I built a starter from. The slurry I used didn't come from the greatest beer either. I had some ph issues along with temp issues with the beer I took the yeast from. So perhaps I should have tossed that yeast in the trash in the first place.
Thanks for the thoughts and opinions

today marks 14 days after brew so i poured the tincture into my dry hopper, purged with co2 and dropped it.. how long is considered to long to leaving it sitting in fermenter? Im hoping my beergas tank gets filled by my neighbor by next friday so I can keg it saturday (8 days in fermenter) but would it be bad if it wasnt ready and it had to sit for another week? I dont want to ruin it @day_trippr or anyone with knowledge of the cocoa nibs and vanilla chopped up duration eventually degrade taste??

I have come across statements over the years about cocoa alkaloids and tannins becoming an issue with protracted marinating, but if it happens it's not inside two weeks - or at least nobody that's had this stout ever commented about the resulting astringency. I doubt another week or more would make a difference.

Cheers!

I have come across statements over the years about cocoa alkaloids and tannins becoming an issue with protracted marinating, but if it happens it's not inside two weeks - or at least nobody that's had this stout ever commented about the resulting astringency. I doubt another week or more would make a difference.

Cheers!
its been marinating in the dark rum for 2 full weeks.... smells like chocolate. Ill trying to keg it after a full week or dump the nibs out the port just to play it safe. I want to taste it so bad in a week. Im not sure if it even needs the 1oz chocolate extract on kegging....

EDIT EDIT** Just noticed this was in wrong forum. I apologize

Last edited:
today marks 14 days after brew so i poured the tincture into my dry hopper, purged with co2 and dropped it.. how long is considered to long to leaving it sitting in fermenter? Im hoping my beergas tank gets filled by my neighbor by next friday so I can keg it saturday (8 days in fermenter) but would it be bad if it wasnt ready and it had to sit for another week? I dont want to ruin it @day_trippr or anyone with knowledge of the cocoa nibs and vanilla chopped up duration eventually degrade taste??
Oh that's not very long I would not be concerned. It will not degrade the taste. It will intensify the flavours a bit the longer it sits on vanilla and cocoa nibs but if it's too strong then just let the beer mellow for a few weeks after kegging and it will even out. How many days ago did you add the vanilla bean and nibs?

Oh that's not very long I would not be concerned. It will not degrade the taste. It will intensify the flavours a bit the longer it sits on vanilla and cocoa nibs but if it's too strong then just let the beer mellow for a few weeks after kegging and it will even out. How many days ago did you add the vanilla bean and nibs?
I roasted the cocoa nibs and put the 9oz and 2 vanilla beans scrapped out and chopped up in dark rum exactly 2 weeks ago. (Yesterday). I put the tincture into my unitanks yesterday via closed O2 free dry hopper.. smells chocolatey in mason jar. But today is only 24 hours into the beer.

I roasted the cocoa nibs and put the 9oz and 2 vanilla beans scrapped out and chopped up in dark rum exactly 2 weeks ago. (Yesterday). I put the tincture into my unitanks yesterday via closed O2 free dry hopper.. smells chocolatey in mason jar. But today is only 24 hours into the beer.
Awesome sounds like you know exactly what you're doing! I've left that stuff inside my fermenter for over 14 days and it was not over powering and didn't extract anything I didn't want

Awesome sounds like you know exactly what you're doing! I've left that stuff inside my fermenter for over 14 days and it was not over powering and didn't extract anything I didn't want
I guess I'll start tasting it after 1 week. Through the sampling spout.

I just picture everything, all the flavor settling at the bottom. I can see the nibs in the bottom sight glass. But. I'll test the flavor every few days until I get my tank

I guess I'll start tasting it after 1 week. Through the sampling spout.

I just picture everything, all the flavor settling at the bottom. I can see the nibs in the bottom sight glass. But. I'll test the flavor every few days until I get my tank
Good thinking. Then you won't be in the dark at the last minute! Also I find that samples can taste super strong. Make sure you take a few sips, let those taste buds adjust to the shock

Back