Low yeast count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidtraher

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here....using a pitch rate calculator for my all grain cream ale, it says my liquid yeast is only at 29% viability, so short by a lot even after using a starter. I only have the one pack of liquid yeast (WLP080). So, if I create a starter with that yeast, can I add a dry yeast pack (Safale US-05, which I have)? If so, do I re-hydrate it or out of the pack, and pitch it into the wort, or add into the liquid yeast starter?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to HBT!
In the meantime: More context please; What numbers did you calculate that with? What is your batch size and expections?
:mug:

Welcome to HBT!
In the meantime: More context please; What numbers did you calculate that with? What is your batch size and expections?
:mug:
Sorry, here are the screenshots from Brewer's Friend, I hope this helps. I don't have a stir plate, otherwise it said the liquid would have been fine
1673639290884.png

1673639334956.png

I'd pitch the dry yeast directly into the FV along with the other liquid yeast. Or do what ever else you wish to do with the liquid yeast before you pitch the liquid. But it seems you'd loose some of the benefits of dry if you try to do anything more than pitch it directly or rehydrate it briefly.

Don't worry about too much yeast. This is one of the few things that more is probably better. At least in the realm of homebrew.

There are emerging practices in the homebrew world that say yeast cell count is not as important as how healthy the yeast are that you pitch. I would make a starter with that liquid yeast and call it good. Those brewers (me among them) also do not use stir plates. Instead using a system called SNS or Shaken Not Stirred. In a nutshell you make a starter volume that is 1/4 the volume of your container... I use a gallon jug. Then just before adding the yeast you shake up the wort in the jug for a couple of minutes (its a workout!) to oxygenate it. Pitch your yeast and set it aside for 18 to 24 hours. I've used my SNS starters in as few as 12 hours.

By the way, when I open up one of my cream ale recipes in Beersmith that has an OG similar to yours and enter a pack of WLP080 yeast with the same date as yours I get a viability of 96%. That's one of the reasons I don't like Brewers Friend but that's a whole different discussion.

There are emerging practices in the homebrew world that say yeast cell count is not as important as how healthy the yeast are that you pitch. I would make a starter with that liquid yeast and call it good. Those brewers (me among them) also do not use stir plates. Instead using a system called SNS or Shaken Not Stirred. In a nutshell you make a starter volume that is 1/4 the volume of your container... I use a gallon jug. Then just before adding the yeast you shake up the wort in the jug for a couple of minutes (its a workout!) to oxygenate it. Pitch your yeast and set it aside for 18 to 24 hours. I've used my SNS starters in as few as 12 hours.

By the way, when I open up one of my cream ale recipes in Beersmith that has an OG similar to yours and enter a pack of WLP080 yeast with the same date as yours I get a viability of 96%. That's one of the reasons I don't like Brewers Friend but that's a whole different discussion.
So do I use the wort of the cream ale or just add some DME and water and put the yeast into that?

Back