Non fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tderanleau

Reaction score
I made a lager (and no it’s not my first lager I’ve made multiple successful lagers never with an issue) and I pitched the yeast with after making a starter… 4 days later and no activity at all. So I reairated, pitched 2 more packs of liquid yeast Wlp940. 3 days later, nothing, so I pitched 2 dry yeast packs of Baja yeast which is the same yeast just in dry form, been 2 days and I still have no activity at all. What’s the deal?

I made a lager (and no it’s not my first lager I’ve made multiple successful lagers never with an issue) and I pitched the yeast with after making a starter… 4 days later and no activity at all. So I reairated, pitched 2 more packs of liquid yeast Wlp940. 3 days later, nothing, so I pitched 2 dry yeast packs of Baja yeast which is the same yeast just in dry form, been 2 days and I still have no activity at all. What’s the deal?
I understand that lagers start off slow and don’t have a very vigorous fermentation, but I’ve made many lagers and have never had this issue

Sometimes you don't get to see the activity. Do you know what your OG was and have you measured the current SG to see whether it's lower?

It's not unusual for ales to be fully fermented in 4 days or less. Though other stuff happens so it's still good to leave them in the FV for 2 or more weeks. Lager's I've never made.

I'm sure someone will ask you what temps you have had the FV at.

Measure SG, or even taste it. It’s probably done, and the CO2 found other way to escape. If by some freak it still hasn’t started by this point, there’s probably nothing you would want to do to save it.

If this is the sort of thing that drives you crazy, you could consider investing in a Tilt.

@hotbeer @day_trippr @DBhomebrew @AlexKay @Bobby_M I’ve checked the gravity twice over the past few days.. no change, and sitting at about 1.025, supposed to be down to around 1.011… tasted it and it doesn’t taste overly sweet though like it tastes like beer, and almost felt as if there was a tad bit of carbonation.. idk what to do

I’ve checked the gravity twice over the past few days.. no change, and sitting at about 1.025, supposed to be down to around 1.011…

Ok, so some fermentation has obviously taken place without you noticing.
What have you been using for fermentation temperature so far?

Cheers!

All-grain that you mashed? Mistakes made while mashing might give you a less fermentable wort. Water chemistry can contribute to that too. Extract I think is usually supposed to get to the expected FG. But I've never done extract, so that is for others to take up.

Not really clear on how many days it's been since your first pitch. Waiting at least two weeks is always a good idea. But I guess with lager's there is some temperature profile you might should be keeping and adjusting.

Back