Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a critique of Win10 that it's filled with Microsoft "spyware" which they won't let you get rid of or turn off. Anyone got a comment on that?

I read a critique of Win10 that it's filled with Microsoft "spyware" which they won't let you get rid of or turn off. Anyone got a comment on that?

There are plenty of articles that list how to turn off that stuff. At least as much of it as we know.

It's impossible for M$ to try and sneak extra spyware. Someone(s) is surely going to monitor their packets for evidence of any communication.

In any case, how do we know it's not already happening with Windows 7?

Yes when you install it there are a few pages to set it up, everything was turned on to give feedback/info back to Microsoft - I turned everything off. I haven't yet checked whether there is any more to do now it's installed, can anyone say for sure?

Has anyone installed Win10 on a multiboot system? I only use windows for a couple of programs that don't have alternatives on GNU/Linux. I'd like to update the Win7 partition, but am worried about MS borking GRUB (the multiboot manager) and my non-windows partitions.

Brew on :mug:

Has anyone installed Win10 on a multiboot system? I only use windows for a couple of programs that don't have alternatives on GNU/Linux. I'd like to update the Win7 partition, but am worried about MS borking GRUB (the multiboot manager) and my non-windows partitions.

I loaded it with Linux Mint. Both seemed to work fine . I can't recall which boot loader I used. Maybe have been whatever came with Mint.

Mint was surprisingly decent to work with as well, as a side note.

I loaded it with Linux Mint. Both seemed to work fine . I can't recall which boot loader I used. Maybe have been whatever came with Mint.

Was Mint on the machine prior to upgrading to Win10? Thx.

I really like Mint. Ive been running it for a few months on virtual machine and its stable and fast. I've been also using Ubuntu Mate on an old slug of a netbook and it fits the bill fine.

I've been debating upgrading my main PC to Windows 10 just because I don't want to update, I want a fresh install and it's so much work to reload everything after that.

I really like Mint. Ive been running it for a few months on virtual machine and its stable and fast. I've been also using Ubuntu Mate on an old slug of a netbook and it fits the bill fine.

I've been debating upgrading my main PC to Windows 10 just because I don't want to update, I want a fresh install and it's so much work to reload everything after that.

Why don't you just update and refresh, WOuld keep your personal files and ditch all the programs. Refreshs on Win 8 didn't take any time compared to old windows restores.

Why don't you just update and refresh, WOuld keep your personal files and ditch all the programs. Refreshs on Win 8 didn't take any time compared to old windows restores.

Wow, I had to google that. I didn't even know such an option existed. So, I'm on Windows 7 now. I just do an update, then there is an additional option after the install is done to refresh Windows 10?

I believe Windows always destroys the master boot record...... at least I've never done an install that didn't render Linux unusable. It doesn't however overwrite or erase your Linux partitions, it's just a matter of restoring the MBR. Linux installs so rapidly and easily that it's easiest to just pop your install disk in and reinstall since it never bothers your data during an install ......... Unlike Windows. Linux will install a boot loader and give you the option of setting a default, and the order.

Windows just generally sucks....... there is no other way of describing it. It's long past the time Microsoft quit trying to build operating systems and just wrote software. I have yet to see a version of windows that didn't gradually or rapidly become unstable and slow, or a way to correct that problem short of reinstalling windows and all your drivers and software........ My primary OS is Linux Suse running the MATE GUI, but I have one mission critical program running on Windows Vista........ on a system that does ONLY that one program and nothing else, not even a browser except when necessary to support that program. (rare). By restricting the use of the computer, and using only Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows for security, I've managed to keep the performance and stability at an acceptable level for quite awhile. The key is to keep away from any security software like McAfee, Samantec, Norton...... or anything else, and keeping automatic update turned off, manually running updates once a week, so Windows doesn't suddenly decide it needs to update and reboot while I have 50K in play in the stock market. It's important to retain control of your PC, and not let Microsoft do it for you. Unfortunately I believe auto update is something you cannot shut off on Windows 10.... correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never found anything to like about Windows except in comparison to DOS. Between MacOS and Linux, there have always been better, more stable and reliable OSs out there.

H.W.

Odd. I've had the same install of Windows for literally YEARS with no problems. Just reloaded this spring when I bought a new SSD.

The best practice for installing Linux and Windows together is to either install Windows first, and let Linux handle the boot loading, or if you install Linux first, you might have to redo the MBR. Not a big deal either way.

Unfortunately I believe auto update is something you cannot shut off on Windows 10.... correct me if I'm wrong.

In the Home and Professional versions it cannot be turned off but it can be set on a delay. However, over time, Windows will reset this.

In the Enterprise version it can be turned off completely.

Odd. I've had the same install of Windows for literally YEARS with no problems. Just reloaded this spring when I bought a new SSD.

The best practice for installing Linux and Windows together is to either install Windows first, and let Linux handle the boot loading, or if you install Linux first, you might have to redo the MBR. Not a big deal either way.

I've heard a few people claim to have long term windows installations with no degradation in performance or stability. I've never seen it in a windows installation that was used extensively for different tasks, and particularly when antivirus software is installed.

That's exactly what I do ..... install Windows first because Linux respects the previous installations unlike Windows.

H.W.

I bought a i7-based HP over 3 years ago that was loaded with Windows 8 from the factory. It gets used most every day, has multiple user accounts, and handles a range of tasks including basic browsing, streaming, music recording, photo editing, and some gaming. I eventually upgraded to 8.1, and then recently, to 10. Never has the machine bogged down, failed from a virus, or generally been anything other than snappy fast as I would expect.

I guess I have a magical Windows license.

Windows 10 will be the last windows release where Microsoft doesn't nickel and dime you to unlock this and that feature.

Windows 10 will be the last windows release where Microsoft doesn't nickel and dime you to unlock this and that feature.

Except for Windows Media Center. They decided that you do not want that so they got rid of it for 10. And native DVD support.

I guess they are finally going through with their initial plans for XP and make it a subscription based "Windows XP(erience)" where everything is a service pack. To the cloud! And then on to a different OS. Is React-OS usable yet?

Except for Windows Media Center. They decided that you do not want that so they got rid of it for 10. And native DVD support.

I guess they are finally going through with their initial plans for XP and make it a subscription based "Windows XP(erience)" where everything is a service pack. To the cloud! And then on to a different OS. Is React-OS usable yet?

I've not tried it yet but this is supposedly working out ok.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=9484

I think 7 at least 8 didn't have native proper dvd support. vlc player fixed that.

I think 7 at least 8 didn't have native proper dvd support. vlc player fixed that.

It's RARE that I pop a disk into my computer, ever. I think that media is going the way of the floppy. Streaming has taken the place of music for most people (or will soon). Same for video.

But yes, VLC owns the desktop for efficiency. I've got GOBS of HD content here. After I installed 10, I did a comparison between VLC and media player. No comparison, VLC used FAR less resources.

True, 8 was where they killed DVD playability but added it back if you bought the most expensive version and then paid a little extra.. My issue is I use a Win 7 desktop as a media center and have ripped all of my DVDs as ISO files to network storage. I use WMC paired with a program called MyMovies to make it so I can on demand play any of my DVDs and not have to worry about scratches or even getting off my fat butt to do so. WMC doesnt play well with the size of my music collection though.

True, 8 was where they killed DVD playability but added it back if you bought the most expensive version and then paid a little extra.. My issue is I use a Win 7 desktop as a media center and have ripped all of my DVDs as ISO files to network storage. I use WMC paired with a program called MyMovies to make it so I can on demand play any of my DVDs and not have to worry about scratches or even getting off my fat butt to do so. WMC doesnt play well with the size of my music collection though.

I do the same. I use the PlayOn MyMedia server that couples with VLC for on the fly transcription. 3Tb of video in my collection and neither have been an issue minus a short time period where I had to wait for a update from PlayOn for Win10 support.

I don't own a CD or DVD player of any kind anymore (not even a game machine). Everything is digital. I ripped all my CD and DVDs (even Bluray) to an 11 TB networked raid array. I can stream all of that to my tvs using networked streamers (WDTV Live) - no PC necessary. That's pretty nice - I can sit on my couch (or in bed) and use the WDTV remote to scan through all my content and play stuff.

My audio receiver is networked and can stream my audio collection and Pandora and stuff also.

Windows 10 has a neat feature that allows you to push audio and video to your devices on your network. You should be able to right-click any file and "cast it" to available devices. In this pic, you can see my two WDTV streamers and Yamaha receiver (not sure why my smart TV isn't on that list).

cast to.jpg

iTunes has a cool feature that lets you push your music to available devices on your network without leaving your chair. I've got whole house audio tied to my receiver, so it's cool to set up a playlist and send the audio to my receiver this way.

itunes.jpg

On the iPhone, there's a nice app called File Explorer that lets you play all of this stuff (movies, audio) right on your iphone, right from your NAS, over WiFi. It's free, but if you buy the $5 version you can moved content from your NAS to the phone right from the app, without syncing with iTunes. Pretty sweet.

fwiw...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

If you do "money math" like I do, the cost-avoidance of upgrading now would pay for a brand new SSD for a boot drive ;)

Cheers!

[edit] fwiw, I've upgraded all of our deskside and notebook systems to W10P, and for the most part it went perfectly, including (remarkably, to me) the beast of a workstation on which I do all my design work. When the upgrade finally completed and the desktop appeared (spread across 7 square feet of monitors) it looked so close to W7U I was stunned. And not a single "bang" to be found.

Unfortunately, the VPN package my biggest customer uses is not W10-compatible, so I'm still running W7U on my workstation and laptop.
And probably will for some time: like most businesses, they've only recently made the transition to Windows 7.
Windows 10 is somewhere over the horizon for them.

But the Spousal Unit has been using W10P and is fine with it...

Cheers!

my upgrade went smoothly and solved 86.7% of the issues I was having with my computer before upgrade.

**shakes fist at Skype for most of that 13.3%** hate the newer versions, so I'm staying with 6.14 until they eff me, like they did with 3.8

also, Minecraft is brokedick and none of the google search remedies have solved the problem

I still need to learn the " cast to device" function? And I'm starting to hate how HP/Win10 is so damned automatic! Darn thing wants to send everything to one drive so it fills up the measly 5GBn they give you so you gotta buy more. That line starts @ $70/year! It isn't saving to computer's pictures, documents, etc. Just that damned one drive. Online sites won't go to one drive, just the empty computer folders. I need some data input on that stuff. :mad:

I still need to learn the " cast to device" function? And I'm starting to hate how HP/Win10 is so damned automatic! Darn thing wants to send everything to one drive so it fills up the measly 5GBn they give you so you gotta buy more. That line starts @ $70/year! It isn't saving to computer's pictures, documents, etc. Just that damned one drive. Online sites won't go to one drive, just the empty computer folders. I need some data input on that stuff. :mad:

Settings, system, default locations.

You can specify what and where files by type go by default. And, IIRC you can also turn One Drive off (or maybe just auto sync) somewhere in there too.

I'd love too! I prefer being asked about some things, not having it done for me without asking first. Win7 was way easier for that. I just found that in Win10, it's: start>settings>storage> set to this PC. Done, thanks! Now we'll see if I can get this HP Pavilion working more like my old Gateway/Win7.

Tried to upgrade my Win 7 Laptop to Windows 10. Screwed up the video so I *have* to plug in an external monitor. :( FWIW, it's a Dell Latitude. D-series, I think

It's definitely starting to look to me like each brand of computer has it's own little quirks? I used Gateway for more than 20 years. This HP/Win10 is a new experience that gets frustrating with some things. Particularly this screwy Edge browser. Left click function goes in & out, not so bad or locked up intermittently?

It's definitely starting to look to me like each brand of computer has it's own little quirks? I used Gateway for more than 20 years. This HP/Win10 is a new experience that gets frustrating with some things. Particularly this screwy Edge browser. Left click function goes in & out, not so bad or locked up intermittently?

I don't use the Edge browser.

But left click functionality going in and out sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Not sure? It works fine sometimes, sometimes not. Both e-mails are sluggish as well. Most other stuff works fine & fast? Troubleshooter says mouse is functioning properly?

Not sure? It works fine sometimes, sometimes not. Both e-mails are sluggish as well. Most other stuff works fine & fast? Troubleshooter says mouse is functioning properly?

Troubleshooter wont know if you have a failing switch for the button.

Trying a different mouse might offer some clue.

To be honest, I needed an excuse to get Bluetooth mouse & keyboard. And a couple really good recliners for the man cave, along with a 34" or more HD+ TV...

Tried to upgrade my Win 7 Laptop to Windows 10. Screwed up the video so I *have* to plug in an external monitor. :( FWIW, it's a Dell Latitude. D-series, I think

Get new drivers for the Dell. You should be able to take the number off the back/bottom and punch it into Dells support website and pull up all the driver updates available. A driver update should get the display working again.

If for some reason the above doesn't produce a graphics driver, download and run an app called Speccy, use it figure out what your video hardware in that laptop is, do an appropriate google search for hardware vendor and driver, download new drivers and install.

Back