Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Win10 installed and don't see what all the fuss is about. It looks a little different but doesn't seem significantly different than Win8......

Still poking around though.. Cortana seems to be popping up in response to the TV though, saying "I did not understand that?"

Yep. Looking forward to the day when my computer can keep track of what's still good to eat in the fridge. Cause, I gotta tell you, my WIFE isn't so good at it.

"Cortana, how old is the ground bologna?"
"Master, the Ground Bologna is 4 days past expiration."
"Close enough!"

I have Win10 installed and don't see what all the fuss is about. It looks a little different but doesn't seem significantly different than Win8......

Still poking around though.. Cortana seems to be popping up in response to the TV though, saying "I did not understand that?"

"She" will do that until she learns those who moles, I mean use her.

"She" would have been sooooo much more interesting if they used her Halo likeness.

You can also set her to focus only on your voice. IIRC, there is a small training excercise once the feature is turned on.

And Win10 isn't drastically different than Win8.1, except they moved everything, again.

I really didn't have much of a problem with Win8.x since most of my use was to log on then open Chome to surf the internet or use programs through it.

I did very little directly in Win8.x

My only real issue with Win8.0 was tile functionality. To me, it is ridiculous to require an account to make a calendar functional. What's more, had to have 2 accounts to make the mail app functional. WTF?

My only real issue with Win8.0 was tile functionality. To me, it is ridiculous to require an account to make a calendar functional. What's more, had to have 2 accounts to make the mail app functional. WTF?

I don't remember these issues. If I encountered them during setup I must have just followed the instructions. I don't think I used the calendar.

So wait, Cortina is some kind of voice response system?

Is it ANYTHING like the Samsung debacle where the system was constantly listening and then reporting back to a server?? Is ALL of cortina stored on your machine or does she have to interact with the cloud to share EVERYTHING you say to get answers?

I had not heard of this bit yet.

I don't remember these issues. If I encountered them during setup I must have just followed the instructions. I don't think I used the calendar.

I initially tried to run Win8 with just a local account. When the time came that I opened the calendar i was met with the screen for a Microsoft Account. Blew that off. I do have a calendar on the wall. then when I got to where I was ready to set-up the email app, I was again met with the need for a MS Account.

So wait, Cortina is some kind of voice response system?

Is it ANYTHING like the Samsung debacle where the system was constantly listening and then reporting back to a server?? Is ALL of cortina stored on your machine or does she have to interact with the cloud to share EVERYTHING you say to get answers?

I had not heard of this bit yet.

Yes? Akin to Siri for Apple. she can search both local and iNet, schedule appointments, run applications, take dictations, etc...

And yes, if Cortana is on, she is listening. I am uncertain how much of her AI is local or cloud based.

I have her turned on (giggity) and just stuff cotton in her ears. (unplug the mic). My children LOVE the functionality. And she can be sassy at times.

SPYNET is now activated/live...

With the N.S.A. actively monitoring things such as cell phone activity to you think for one second that they will not pounce on the opportunity this system affords them to watch your daily activity (as boring as that may or may not be)

just seems a bit too 1984`ish to me

SPYNET is now activated/live...

With the N.S.A. actively monitoring things such as cell phone activity to you think for one second that they will not pounce on the opportunity this system affords them to watch your daily activity (as boring as that may or may not be)

just seems a bit too 1984`ish to me

Not sure if the built in keylogger was removed after the tech review or not, what difference does audio make? Between Xbox Hal's ever seeing eye and Win10 keystroke logger, Cortana's ever hearing ear has the least interesting content.

I dunno, just wait until she starts blackmailing you with audio clips of your late night... research sessions paired with your web history.

Did the Win10 upgrade. All seemed to be fine and I actually liked most of what I saw.

Then I rebooted. BSOD. System could find an OS in the BCD. WTF? Tried a few command lines to repair but no good.

Had to do a clean install. FML. I know it's better to have clean install but ... that was time I want back.

started the upgrade 2 hours ago. It seemed to be going fine, with the % indicator ticking away, so I went and worked on my kids car. Now it's just 3 black screens with a mouse pointer in the middle of one of them. The pointer will move, but nothing else. I'm going to leave it till the morning. Then, reboot, and possibly OS clean install. FAAAAAACK!

Anyone tried doing the Win10 upgrade on a multi-boot system? Does it leave the other partitions alone? Does it leave the GRUB boot process alone? I suppose it would be madness not to back up all the other partitions before trying the upgrade.

Brew on :mug:

started the upgrade 2 hours ago. It seemed to be going fine, with the % indicator ticking away, so I went and worked on my kids car. Now it's just 3 black screens with a mouse pointer in the middle of one of them. The pointer will move, but nothing else. I'm going to leave it till the morning. Then, reboot, and possibly OS clean install. FAAAAAACK!

OK, it' not BSOD. It's a multiple monitor issue. I have one screen plugged into my the motherboard Intel graphics controller, and two more screens on a graphics card.

By hitting the control key, then enter a few times, I got windows to log in. I don't use a password, but if you do, then you'd need to hit that control button (which puts the cursor in the password box (which I can't see), then type your password, then hit enter.

Anway, now I can see the desktop. I'm working on getting the other monitors up. The OS things the other monitors are there, so it keeps opening stuff in them. I'm using keyboard shortcuts to move the windows to the monitor that is working.

I'm sure I can get all this working now.

OK, it' not BSOD. It's a multiple monitor issue. I have one screen plugged into my the motherboard Intel graphics controller, and two more screens on a graphics card.

By hitting the control key, then enter a few times, I got windows to log in. I don't use a password, but if you do, then you'd need to hit that control button (which puts the cursor in the password box (which I can't see), then type your password, then hit enter.

Anway, now I can see the desktop. I'm working on getting the other monitors up. The OS things the other monitors are there, so it keeps opening stuff in them. I'm using keyboard shortcuts to move the windows to the monitor that is working.

I'm sure I can get all this working now.

Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

some how I am missing the sanity part :(

So far, I have three systems up and running 10. My personal desktop, which is a fresh install after upgrading so it would be licensed. My laptop, which is the same scenario; upgrade, then fresh install. My wife's/daughter's desktop, which is an upgrade in place. So far, so good with my wife's/daughter's system. Aside from having to re-install Chrome, it has been trouble-free.

When I installed Win10 on my Dell laptop, I also installed an SSD drive. Noticed two things: Under Windows 10 with the SSD and UEFI Bios, the bootup is insanely fast. From powered down to usable desktop is around 10-12 seconds. My desktop, also powered by an SSD bootup drive and UEFI, is about the same. It's tremendously faster than windows 7 on startup. Operations on both seem quicker, too.

That's odd, the two are unrelated. You don't have Geforce Experience installed, do you? I never install it; don't see what it accomplishes that I can't do myself, and I'm not a big fan of the presets it pushes anyway.

That's odd, the two are unrelated. You don't have Geforce Experience installed, do you? I never install it; don't see what it accomplishes that I can't do myself, and I'm not a big fan of the presets it pushes anyway.

I downloaded and installed updated Intel network adapter drivers from another computer, installed, and the problem went away immediately.

Everything is working fine now. So, the problems were 1) NVidia drivers were hosed and needed to be updated, 2) Intel network driver was old and needed updating, and 3) I accidentally hit some buttons on my third monitor and changed its input to analog instead of HDMI, which caused some headscratching for a while.

I do have one engineering app that, when run, causes the four cores on my i7 to go to > 50% continuously (even after I close the app). That drives the processor temps through the roof (>60F). I've tried running in compatibility modes, no luck. Might need to update that app, but it's $$$.

I noticed the small bar at the right of the task bar, the one that would show desktop, wasn't there, but I like the Task View icon in the task bar for the same function.

So far, no real issues. I'm amazed that media player is still way less efficient than VLC when playing high-bandwidth video. They never seem to catch up with that kind of stuff.

I've got lots of odd hardware that connects to my PC. Haven't delved into that yet, but soon.

I noticed there's a way to roll back to Win7 (not likely to be painless). That's good, JIC.

That's a strange one. Did you try google searching the issue? Maybe someone else has run into it and found a fix.

Also, if you mouse down to the lower left corner and click it minimizes everything in one shot.

That's a strange one. Did you try google searching the issue? Maybe someone else has run into it and found a fix.

Also, if you mouse down to the lower left corner and click it minimizes everything in one shot.

Yea, not much out there yet. Lots of red herrings.

lower left doesn't work for me. Maybe because I run 3 monitors. Actually, the bar in the lower right is still there, just very very thin.

lower left doesn't work for me. Maybe because I run 3 monitors. Actually, the bar in the lower right is still there, just very very thin.
I was just going to say, it's still there....just thinned down.

I just use the keyboard shortcut most of the time.

Yeah, got my left and right mixed up for whatever reason. Sorry about that.

Win10 is running just fine, but I've got one super critical engineering app that is causing CPU cores to go to 80% and temps sky high. Can't seem to get to the bottom of it. I'm looking at the processes that are going wacky now. If I can't get this one app under control, I might have to roll back to Win7.

Too bad, I'm getting used to the new interface.

Anyone tried doing the Win10 upgrade on a multi-boot system? Does it leave the other partitions alone? Does it leave the GRUB boot process alone? I suppose it would be madness not to back up all the other partitions before trying the upgrade.

Brew on :mug:

It's on my list to do in the next week or so. Right now I've got Windows 10 running as a virtual machine on my Linux box...plus I'm testing it at work. As soon as I have some time <cue sardonic laughter> I'm going to try installing Windows 10 into a spare partition next to Linux.

Step 1 will be to make sure that EVERYTHING on my Linux install is safely backed up. It's not that I don't trust Microsoft. It's just that...OK...I don't trust Microsoft.

===========================
Customer: I'm running Windows
Tech: Yes.
Customer: My computer isn't working now.
Tech: Yes, you said that.
===========================

Crazy idea: Try uninstalling/reinstalling said app? Maybe something in the upgrade process didn't agree with it. Had that issue with Chrome; internet connectivity was there but it wouldn't work until I did an uninstall/reinstall.

Crazy idea: Try uninstalling/reinstalling said app? Maybe something in the upgrade process didn't agree with it. Had that issue with Chrome; internet connectivity was there but it wouldn't work until I did an uninstall/reinstall.

Yep, I did that, no diff.

I did resolve the problem. I had to dl a newer cracked version of the program that was known to work with win8.1. I have a legal (dongled) version 16.0 of the program, but apparently 16.3 was what I needed. (on a side note, I HATE running cracked software; of course there's the ethics, but it's just way too much risk).

Anyway, I'm up and running 100% now. That was easy :)

I did think about running Win7 in a virtual machine too. Lots of ugly options.

I had upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and then rolled it back to 7

I have customers asking about our program and compatibility with the upgrade. We've had no problems, but McAfee is glitchy & we're not sure about others

so, I need to be able to tell the customer rolling back is an option

wasn't until after I rolled it back that the Windows 10 Upgrade icon showed up in the system tray, so I clicked it.

apparently the laptop I had successfully upgraded to Windows 10 is not able to run Windows 10

windows10.JPG

Sanity has always been available. It's called APPLE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, I think you're being serious. OSX is just a bloated down FreeBSD build essentially. ANd you're paying through the nose to get the computer that runs it, cause Apple really loves making money on their computers. If you want sanity buy your own parts, build your own rig, and run a UNIX build that will you know, be cool

Oh boy, another 'cult of steve jobs' loony.

I'm just surprised it took so long for you guys to get here. Did you get lost when you stopped to lick every window along the way?

After using Win10 for a few days, not a big change from 7. I do seem to have faster startups from boot.

I'm still not loving the start menu, but I can get used to it, and I suspect there's lots of customization to it that will make it more usable for me. The tiles are useless, except for the weather one and the news one. I could pin my favorite apps to it, but I have already done that on the taskbar on the bottom (which autohides).

I do like the taskbars on all 3 of my screens. That's pretty neat.

I turned off the web search from the taskbar. Hated that. I just want the indexed search of my PC.

Back