Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe safer & more secure...my anti everything software stopped a few from getting in from photobucket. Easier to use? I call BS on that one! Win7 was easier...

A friend told me there is a site out there that can get your Windows 10 for free still if you are able to prove you couldn't upgrade previously or something. I mean to look into that, although I don't' have any plans to upgrade at home. My Win7 is running just fine. I will likely upgrade when I get new hardware and do a complete reload.

That's the way it had to be with me. Wife decided I needed a new computer after the hard drive on the 5-year old Gateway got the click of death. New quad core is only .2GHz faster than the dual core Gateway. But has a 1TB hard drive & 23" HD+ monitor. I can see everything easier. But Win10 can be challenging with some things. You have to search for internal functions you need to perform, & have to know the exact names. What retard thought that up, I wonder?

That's the way it had to be with me. Wife decided I needed a new computer after the hard drive on the 5-year old Gateway got the click of death. New quad core is only .2GHz faster than the dual core Gateway. But has a 1TB hard drive & 23" HD+ monitor. I can see everything easier. But Win10 can be challenging with some things. You have to search for internal functions you need to perform, & have to know the exact names. What retard thought that up, I wonder?

Just hit he windows key and type in what you want to do. It's pretty good that way. For example,

images
then "Control Panel". Windows 10 is predictive, it will guess what you're trying to do. Try it and see.

Just hit he windows key and type in what you want to do. It's pretty good that way. For example,

images
then "Control Panel". Windows 10 is predictive, it will guess what you're trying to do. Try it and see.

I have never played much with the search function to start programs, but many people claim it's possibly the best/fastest way to get something started if you don't have a handy shortcut. As long as you kind of know what it's called.

A friend of mine also bought a "start menu" to replace Windows 10 start menu. I didn't have much issues with 10, but he claims this one is still better. It's called Start10 from StarDock software. It's supposed to be similar in function to Start8, which I've purchased for my daughter and recommended to a few people. It REALLY makes Windows 8 look like Windows 7, and I'm guessing their Start10 does the same for Windows 10.

It's only $5 for lifetime and it's hella configurable IIRC.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

images

right-click on start button and you get this menu

right-click start button.jpg

I don't get it.

Sure, stuff moved around in Win10 but all it takes is 10 to 20 minutes of exploring to find where everything is. IMO, learning the lay-out is accomplished during the initial set-up.

Maybe that is just me. with every change in OS or new software, I make sure to poke at everything to see what it does and decide if it is something I will use.

right-click on start button and you get this menu

View attachment 364700

That's pretty neat.

I do a lot of searches on my work computer, so I use that windows key a lot. Since Windows indexes the contents of excel spreadsheets, PDFs, word docs, emails, filenames, etc, it works great for me.

Just hit that Windows key, type in the word(s) you're looking for, hit enter, select File Explorer.

Thanks all. been learning a few things & getting around better. Just seems too cryptic, compared to Win7...

Which was cryptic compared to XP, which was cryptic to Win98, which was completely alien to DOS (Yes, I skipped Win95 because my analogy wouldn't work as well when comparing 95 to 98... ;)

Windows 8 was an abomination and heads should have rolled for forcing that terrible interface onto desktop users. Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is a decently usable interface for most users.

What it comes down to is making an interface that inexperienced users can relate to, and one that will work on a variety of devices. And those generally run against the grain for experienced users who are used to doing it a certain way.

I don't usually practice what I preach in this regard, but it would be well worth the time it takes to google some shortcuts for the Win10 interface. There are always ways of doing things that may not be readily apparent but might save a lot of time and effort in the long run if you only spend a few minutes finding it out.

For instance I am used to getting to the Control Panel in one of two ways. Start Menu, or Right-Clicking on Computer from the Start Button and choosing Manage, then clicking on Control Panel. It might be faster and easier to pop up the search menu with the Windows Key and start typing control... And there it is.

Last edited:
For instance I am used to getting to the Control Panel in one of two ways. It might be faster and easier to pop up the search menu with the Windows Key and start typing control... And there it is.

Whereas I prefer to pin an icon to the start tray so it is there no matter where I go.

Whereas I prefer to pin an icon to the start tray so it is there no matter where I go.

Actually, I prefer this as well. I mis-typed. I'll fix it.

Actually, this is what I'm not always used to doing because I work on many computers and they usually don't have a Control Panel shortcut on the menu.

There are options to add the Control Panel and Admin panel to the start menu, on the right side. That's where mine are.

EDIT: Man I am struggling to type what my mind is thinking today. Worse than normal.

Last edited:
I liked 95, 98 & 7 myself. Was quicker to learn than remember the file name & type it in the search menu to me. I got so much on my mind, & @ my age, isn't so easy to remember anymore. Even though I think/write/talk about technical stuff all day?

ok, anniversary update is being a big fat a-hole

update downloads fine, goes to install, gets to 2% and bombs, giving error 0x80070057

research takes me to this "fix" https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/2tlzy0/9926_windows_update_0x80070057_error/

registry fix does nothing, lower down in that thread is a group policy fix, does nothing

the fun never ends

Just had a client with severe update problems. Some things to try:

Scan for malware. I use Malwarebytes. Also check for viruses. I prefer Avast for free home AV.

Bypass the normal update process and try an offline update: http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how...l-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

(Download the rollup update that corresponds to the most current month...)

Microsoft has a Fix for some update issues. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Notice at the end it says to install the most recent update client updates.

For my client the cure was several of these things. Windows update was stuck either checking for updates, or simply just not downloading them. Eventually I got all the bugs removed and all of the update components re-installed and all the updates started flowing in. (And by flowing in I mean at least they eventually got downloaded and installed by themselves. It was an older single core Celeron, so it wasn't blazing by any definition of the term...)

thanks, Homer... running through that process now

have Malwarebytes, running scan. will download Avast & scan

one thing, that HTG link is for Win7. I already have Windows 10, just trying to update it to the latest "anniversary" update

thanks, Homer... running through that process now

have Malwarebytes, running scan. will download Avast & scan

one thing, that HTG link is for Win7. I already have Windows 10, just trying to update it to the latest "anniversary" update

I see. I'm not sure there is much difference, but there may well could be. Some of the instructions for working with the update components include Windows 10.

I don't know if they provide a stand alone rollup install. Win10 looks to use CU's, so maybe it's as simple as installing the latest update and see if the fixes fixed it?

no joy

tried on 2 similar pcs. same brand/model, different configurations (1 work, 1 home) on 2 different networks, different topologies, different physical locations

same error at same point in process

and this cake (cross-posted in Epic Pictures thread) goes to Microsoft for this AND for forcing me to upgrade Skype to their latest, craptacular POS version

Homer gets the redhead

f yourself cake.jpg

ok, anniversary update is being a big fat a-hole

update downloads fine, goes to install, gets to 2% and bombs, giving error 0x80070057

research takes me to this "fix" https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/2tlzy0/9926_windows_update_0x80070057_error/

registry fix does nothing, lower down in that thread is a group policy fix, does nothing

the fun never ends

Haven't tried it yet, the fix seems simple and strange; disconnect your PC from the network

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-windo...during-anniversary-update-install-here’s-how/

Folders are supposed to be "optimized" for the different items they contain... like the My Pictures folder is set to "pictures"

I forget how to change it, but set the entire drive to "general" should speed things up a bit

its on by default and I use windows 10 my self and after turning off all the spy crap and uninstalling all the apps it turns on by default I love it, but I do hate the slow search, if I go to a network drive you wait, if I browse a large folder you wait, even after you view the folder and let it set for an hour, you go back and you wait , not cool

Well, update worked...

If you call turning my PC into a ****ing doorstop "worked"

I get the taskbar with start, cortana and task view buttons, my desktop background and the spinning wheel

If i do anything else, I get "windows is not responding"

Cripes

I'm tired of keeping track of "improvements". I tried to do a search for an old recipe yesterday morning for the 1st time on W10. Almost gave up looking for the place to enter the file name.

was able to roll back to previous version

seems all is well

learned one thing: spamming F8 on reboot doesn't work in Win10, seems there is no boot to Safe Mode

get to "troubleshoot" mode at login screen by holding down SHIFT key while left-clicking on the POWER button (right-most of 3 buttons in lower-right of screen) and choosing RESTART

I'm tired of keeping track of "improvements". I tried to do a search for an old recipe yesterday morning for the 1st time on W10. Almost gave up looking for the place to enter the file name.

In the file explorer:

2016-08-06.png

Files listed under " this PC" is literally that. Rather than one drive. I had to try & remember to save things to documents, for instance, to documents on this PC. Otherwise, it wanted to send everything to one drive. It seemed to wan to hurry up & load up one drive so I'd have to buy more memory space. I had to go to settings & tell it to save the various things to this PC instead. BS2 recipes & my book writing files as well. Got tired of searching this PC, one drive, & external drive to find everything after wife bought me this new computer.

still no joy getting to the anniversary update, but notice some thing about Win10 really buggin me

I have file explorer settings to double-click to open and open folders in same window. have confirmed this several times, but lately it's been opening folders in TWO new windows on double-click, and if I click on any of the folders in the left window pane, it opens in a new window

really, whatthe****?

edit: NOW, I see the problem. if I have only one file explorer window open, it will open in the same window. if I have MORE THAN ONE file explorer window open, it ASSUMES I want to open everything in a new window

and don't even get me started on the new Windows "Photos" viewer. I switched back to the old "Windows Photo Viewer"

So while I've created Win10 drives for all of our systems, we're not actually running W10. But I keep my ear to the ground, and along with all the other reported issues with the Anniversary Update, there's this one that'd be a killer for us...
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ws-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

I'll definitely wait on plugging all those drives into their respective systems to do this update until they have the "Anniversary Update - The Fixed Version" available...

Cheers!

more bull****...

now, opening a new browser window (from a link in OneNote, which I shared from my mobile device) invokes the UAC. never did that before yesterday

yeah, UAC is all brokedick

effing up my photoshop AND vegas movie

permissions are all shot, can't change those until you've changed OWNERSHIP

when the **** did that start?

yeah, UAC is all brokedick

effing up my photoshop AND vegas movie

permissions are all shot, can't change those until you've changed OWNERSHIP

when the **** did that start?

I had a problem with permissions. I couldn't even open excel files etc. That was a serious clusterfck for me. I had to select the entire drive and take ownership (which took a while for the OS to go through file-by-file). It is possible to assume the true admin acct and have unrestricted control, but that opens all sorts of opportunities for problems.

I wonder what non-techs did with that one.

Back