Window AC & STC 1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blursmotion

Reaction score
I found this old but working window ac in our storage room. So I'm thinking of occupying some space in our garage and build a fermentation chamber (around 3x3meters) using this unit. Now my question is, can I put a STC-1000 temp controller on this unit? It has 2.5 horsepower though. Thanks.

image.jpg

There should be a spec plate somewhere on the unit with current draw (amps) information. The STC1000 is rated at 10amps maximum.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information. I will check on that.

Btw, the link says 2.5hp x 746watts / 220volts (we have 220 volts here) =8.47

It doesn't matter about the amps (ok, of course it does), but if you try and switch an inductive load like that a/c compressor with those solid state relays on the stc-1000, you'll burn them up. You really must have a relay in between.

Look at this relay, or something similar: K10P-11AT5-120

It doesn't matter about the amps (ok, of course it does), but if you try and switch an inductive load like that a/c compressor with those solid state relays on the stc-1000, you'll burn them up. You really must have a relay in between.

Look at this relay, or something similar: K10P-11AT5-120

Many (I won't say all since there are multiple variations) of the STC-1000's have mechanical relays. My STC-1000 clicks when switching, and SSR's don't click.

Brew on :mug:

Use the nameplate rating on the unit for current draw. 746w/hp is on paper. The startup current would be what kills your undersized relay. It is a simple thing to add a relay in the mix. They are cheap and long lasting. Good luck.

You could use the STC-1000 to bypass the thermostat and it looks as though it might fit where the existing thermostat is.
The benefit of this is that you will probably be switching a relay.
I did the same with my freezer.

14802341986_71d44a7c5b.jpg

Back