Will they freeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likebull

Reaction score
So, I'm having a party this Saturday and there will be about 60 people attending.
I plan on having a massive bottle selection.
do you guys think I could just put all the bottles in a folding table outside instead of a cooler?

it's supposed to be around 29º that night and I wanna be sure they won't freeze.

thanks!

Depends what the temps are during the day and how long you'll have low temps overnight. I usually have beer in my car/van for work and leave it there overnight. If it's 50-60 during the day and hits 29 at night then I'd think you're OK.

they should be outside for 5 hours. it'll be about 40º when the go outside. 29º by the end of the night

okay cool! thank you. it will be at night time so the sun will not be an issue.

According to this:

https://www.reference.com/food/temperature-beer-freeze-2bd3090982d0e215

most beers freeze at 27 degrees. Light beers will freeze at 31 degrees.

If they're capped they won't freeze at 29 degrees. Whether anything would freeze at 29 degrees depends on whether it's capped, what temp it starts at, and how long it sits at those temps. I personally would have no qualms keeping beers at 29 degrees.

As a point of comparison, ask yourself what temp beer gets to when it's put on ice.

They'll be fine. But also keep them out of direct sunlight or they may begin to skunk before they ever freeze.

Just a question here as i'm not entirely familiar on the exact process that goes on here but, how is sunlight going to skunk a beer that is in a keg? I thought skunking was caused by visible exposure to light but a keg has no visible exposure, there can be no light transmission.

Just a question here as i'm not entirely familiar on the exact process that goes on here but, how is sunlight going to skunk a beer that is in a keg? I thought skunking was caused by visible exposure to light but a keg has no visible exposure, there can be no light transmission.

To answer your question, it wont.

The OP, however, made no mention of kegs. He asked about a "massive bottle selection".

Just a couple days ago the forecast for overnight low was 36. I got 27. If your weather prevaricator is as good as mine your bottles will all break and make on huge mess. I never trust the weather.

I believe you on that one! Hopefully everybody is thirsty and consume them faster then they will freeze.
It's gonna be hard work! Haha.

Just a couple days ago the forecast for overnight low was 36. I got 27. If your weather prevaricator is as good as mine your bottles will all break and make on huge mess. I never trust the weather.

Simple. I'd get up after a few hours and check the temps. Then adjust the additional time from there. Sleep is overrated, especially in the light of beer.

My -4F freezer will freeze a 12 oz bottle of beer within an hour.

Back