Dry hop creep and bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwop

Reaction score
I'm currently planning to add dry hops to my west coast ipa. I do have temperature control, but I do not keg and do bottle carbing instead.

I am a bit worried about hop creep and have read that a lot of brewers recommend dry hopping at lower temperatures to avoid it. But in my case if put it in bottles where it has to warm up to carbonate, won't there still be enzymes from dry hop present that can cause hop creep in bottles? Would instead it be better to dry hop warm couple days longer an let it happen, and hope that yeast in fermenter or in bottles cleans up potential diacetyl it can produce?

I am not that worried about beer attenuating a bit more, but I do want to avoid off flavors or over carbonation of bottles.

I went through a few problems with hop creep (mosaic is terrible for this), but I found that all is well if I just put a bit less priming sugar in when I bottle. If the style calls for, let's say, 2.4 volumes of CO2, I will prime for 2.0 volumes and all is well....

YMMV

Lon

Latest posts

Back