Why back sweeten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRE66_6TART

Reaction score
I've never made cider before, and I want to make a fairly sweet cider. I've noticed everyone seems to let their ciders ferment completely, then back sweeten. I'm wondering if I can just taste it daily as the gravity drops and bottle and pasteurize when it reaches the desired level. I'm trying to figure out why nobody appears to do it this way. Two reasons I can think of are extra sediment in the bottles since the yeast won't have flocculated yet, and the yeast not being able to clean up their by-products. Neither one of those really seem like deal breakers to me. I don't think the sediment is a big deal. And if I control the fermentation I doubt the off flavors would stand out that much against the apple juice. Am I missing something? Is it worth trying?

You have the gist of it as far as positives and negatives. There is no reason not to do it the way you describe as long as you like the end result! :)

Was questioning this myself last night actually! I've had 5 gallons of cider in secondary for about 5 months now. It's super dry and prob around 7-8% ABV. Kinda forgot about it!! My .02 on back sweetening is primarily to get desired ABV. Bonuses to that are, clarity and the dryness I love from a nice English cider. Cheers!

I have found myself switching to a lower attenuating yeast such a London ale when I desire a sweet cider. It cleans up nicely but leaves residual sweetness and preserves the apple flavor.

I do it for the taste. If mine sits to long (like thats a bad thing) it tastes to boozy. I bottled 2.5 gallons last night and added 3 cans of AJC and it tastes great. Not to sweet and not overpowering.

Does the London ale yeast stop fermenting before the SG goes below 1.000?

Pasteurization will set the pectin, causing it to congeal and form in little globs at the bottom of your bottles, so some like to let the pectin fall out naturally over time, then backsweeten, then bottle.

Also, since Pasteurization kills all micro-organisms, you will have prevented malo-lactic fermentation from ever occurring. Some prize MLF and thus want to coax their cider along in secondary before bottling.

Finally, secondary fermentation provides a nice opportunity to add new flavours: oak, cherry, etc. Bottling right away means you'd better be fairly happy with the flavor profile that you've got (though, of course, maturation and "mellowing" should still occur).

Latest posts

Back