Malolactic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterG

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some wine making experience, but this is my first time making cider. I have a batch that is finished primary fermentation (SG ~0.998). I’ve been letting it sit to clear, and noticed that I’m still getting a tiny bit of bubbles - very slow and occasional but noticeable on the surface. I am thinking this is malolactic fermentation. Should I let that complete – i.e. is it desirable in cider? Do I have to let it complete before bottling? Could it be stopped chemically or with heat pasteurization?

Thanks,
Pete

Generally craft cider such as French and Spanish cider does go through MLF, it is easier in cider because apples have more malic acid than grapes. It does sound like MLF, you should wait a month or 2 before bottling.

Generally craft cider such as French and Spanish cider does go through MLF, it is easier in cider because apples have more malic acid than grapes. It does sound like MLF, you should wait a month or 2 before bottling.
As someone who is planning on making a real cider (for the first time outside of a /r/prisonhooch experiment) next month...

Will the gravity continue to decrease while that malolactic fermentation is ongoing? If not, how does one know when it's finished?

You can get MLF during alcoholic fermentation or (more usually) after. You want temperatures in the high teens C or higher, it usually takes 2-3 weeks and you need to let the cider rest for a further month for the flavours to settle down.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I cannot tell if it is truly MLF or just degassing. I tried bottling some of the batch and will see what happens!

On that note, how long does bottle carbonation usually take, and should there be any visual evidence that it is happening? I used those sugar drops in the bottle.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back