Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401727805.248908.jpg

A few posts up. Looks awesome!
I'll give a review after it's all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks! So do you have to precook the noodles? I have never made Mac on the grill but I want to try it this weekend. How long does it smoke for?

Side note, got my 14.5" WSM in the mail today. Nothing fancy but excited to finally have a dedicated smoker.

Thanks! So do you have to precook the noodles? I have never made Mac on the grill but I want to try it this weekend. How long does it smoke for?

Side note, got my 14.5" WSM in the mail today. Nothing fancy but excited to finally have a dedicated smoker.

Yep you pre-cook the noodles like normal. It says and I normally do smoke it for an hour at 225.

Was absolutely amazing before I smoked it, however, I put too much smoke to it and the smoke flavor overpowered the subtle Gouda flavor. Was still good, just not as awesome as before. So use very little smoke, I forgot how much smoke cheese absorbs!
The pastrami was very good, only my second time. Very happy overall. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401750055.555113.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401750072.427215.jpg

Was absolutely amazing before I smoked it, however, I put too much smoke to it and the smoke flavor overpowered the subtle Gouda flavor. Was still good, just not as awesome as before. So use very little smoke, I forgot how much smoke cheese absorbs!
The pastrami was very good, only my second time. Very happy overall. View attachment 203335View attachment 203336

I need to do that mac n cheese.

I must oversmoke my pastrami. Mine comes out quite stiff, much drier than yours there. I bet it tasted good.

The pastrami was very good, only my second time. Very happy overall. View attachment 203335View attachment 203336

Last time I made it was with a pellet smoker, so that may have been more subtle with the smoke flavor. I have a hard time not eating too much before I smoke it :D

Last time I made it was with a pellet smoker, so that may have been more subtle with the smoke flavor. I have a hard time not eating too much before I smoke it :D

I added some cherry wood, next time I'll try it with none and see.
I did eat 3-4 spoonfuls before I placed it in the smoker! I will definitely be trying it again.

I need to do that mac n cheese.

I must oversmoke my pastrami. Mine comes out quite stiff, much drier than yours there. I bet it tasted good.

I do a wet pastrami, I get internal temp up to 150, then wrap with airflow liquid and cook till tender. When I checked the temp last it was 190. Kinda hard to overcook that way. Here is the link to the recipe and method, I use #2 I believe.
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html?m=1

Done it twice now, been really good both times.

doing a half catering gig to a bunch of guys that are competing in Pulled pork. Lol, they were too afraid to let me compete with them (their words, not mine :)) So will be doing bbq beans, bbq chips, slaw, p salad, and I think Im going to throw a rack or three of ribs in, just because. weeeeeeeeeee

Picked up my 18.5" WSM as an early graduation present to myself. I tried to find one used on craigslist but had no luck. Pictures of my first smoke are below:

Those birds look good! Thinking of something to smoke and this might be it. Got a recipe you could share?

Cooked up some bacon on the grill for breakfast then tossed some little pork shoulders on to smoke a little bit ago. I will get some beans around and toss them in the Akorn in a bit as well.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401896563.526725.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401896577.485385.jpg

Cooked up some bacon on the grill for breakfast then tossed some little pork shoulders on to smoke a little bit ago. I will get some beans around and toss them in the Akorn in a bit as well.
View attachment 203623
View attachment 203624

How do you like the akorn? I almost bought it, but found the vision one.
Little more expensive, but I thought it was a little better built.

Visiting family made a special request for brisket this weekend. Giddyup. :rockin:

How do you like the akorn? I almost bought it, but found the vision one.
Little more expensive, but I thought it was a little better built.

I am loving it so far. It was a impulse buy from Lowes one day as my intentions were to only get a few pieces of 2 dollar pvc pipe!
For some reason, There isn't any other options for Kamado style grills in my area. I thought Sam's Club had a ceramic model at the beginning of spring but I wasn't paying attention to much to grilling as it was dreadfully cold still.

Going to try some bulgogi beef on that baby this weekend. I ordered a Lodge cast iron wok to try my hand at direct coal cooking in it.

Not officially the weekend, but, I'm firing up to make pulled pork and candied bacon on Monday to take to a bike rally next week.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Preparing the new WSM with a seasoning burn for its first run through this weekend. Mac n' Cheese recipe that FinsFan posted and 2 fatties.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401983426.375369.jpg

I am loving it so far. It was a impulse buy from Lowes one day as my intentions were to only get a few pieces of 2 dollar pvc pipe!

For some reason, There isn't any other options for Kamado style grills in my area. I thought Sam's Club had a ceramic model at the beginning of spring but I wasn't paying attention to much to grilling as it was dreadfully cold still.

Going to try some bulgogi beef on that baby this weekend. I ordered a Lodge cast iron wok to try my hand at direct coal cooking in it.

Awesome, glad to hear it has been good for ya.

We have a Bog Green Egg at our firehouse, and I have a vision at home. They are pretty close, but the vision isn't quite able to run as low as the egg. But I can keep it 225-250 no problems. Good enough for me!

How warm is too warm when smoking cheese?

90+. It'll start to sweat and melt. I have a wsm and smoke cheese on the top rack at 75-80. Heat is plenty far away from the goods.

Damn. I only have the 14.5" WSM and with the heat being closer, the top grill grate settles at 91°. That is in a completely dry smoker. Would ice or water in the bowl help?

Damn. I only have the 14.5" WSM and with the heat being closer, the top grill grate settles at 91°. That is in a completely dry smoker. Would ice or water in the bowl help?

Yep. If you fill the drip pan up all the way with ice, you should be able to maintain low enough to cold smoker lower than the 91 you said it's normally at.

I could always just stick the cold smoke tube below the burners on my gas grill and place the cheese on the opposite side. Has anyone tried that? And how long should I smoke the cheese for? I have Gouda and Sharp Cheddar

Latest posts

Back