Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow bama, nice job. I've never tried the sausage stuffer attachment for my kitchenaid. Looks like you made it work.

Were'd you get that rack for the smoker? I like it.

Thanks

I got the Expandable Smoking Rack from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got a bacon cheese burger roll on the pellet grill right now.

1402445354838.jpg

1402445370838.jpg

1402445385611.jpg

Spent the day cooking for a benefit to support our local Little League. 226 halves of chicken, baked beans, salt potatoes , roll & watermelon. Turned out Great, but I'm spent!!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402788810.479236.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402788908.280935.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402789118.945417.jpg

I put a whole 15 pound turkey on the smoker about twenty minutes ago. Am I right at about 30 minutes a pound for smoking time? This is the first time I've smoked a whole turkey. Sure do enjoy the smoke wafting into the house from time to time.

glenn514:mug:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402846374.072523.jpg

I threw this shoulder on at 8 am this morning... Simple... Slap ya daddy rub, injected with Cajun butter, apple wood for smoke.

Chicken wings and thighs and pork spare ribs started it all in the smoker and finishing over hardwood coals. The wings didn't make it past the smoker and I forgot pics till it hit the grill

1402880533818.jpg

It only took five hours to smoke our 15 pound whole turkey. Took it off when the breast temp was 165°F, put it under my empty brew pot and let it sit. When it was dinner time, it was easy to carve it...and it was the BEST turkey I've ever cooked. Years and years ago, I started doing Thanksgiving turkey on the Weber grill. Then, Texas taught me how to deep-fry a turkey. Both of those methods produce great turkeys. But this smoking method produced an AWESOME turkey for us yesterday. And there are leftovers!

It only took five hours to smoke our 15 pound whole turkey. Took it off when the breast temp was 165°F, put it under my empty brew pot and let it sit. When it was dinner time, it was easy to carve it...and it was the BEST turkey I've ever cooked. Years and years ago, I started doing Thanksgiving turkey on the Weber grill. Then, Texas taught me how to deep-fry a turkey. Both of those methods produce great turkeys. But this smoking method produced an AWESOME turkey for us yesterday. And there are leftovers!

I agree, smoked turkey is amazing. It seems to cook faster than in an oven and somehow seem jucier. Thank you for the idea. I may have to smoke one up again soon.

I can just barely fit a 20# in my Weber Kettle, so that's what I use and I always get done in about 4 hours. I might cook at a higher temperature than you. After a few hours I foil the breast to keep it from overcooking. I tuck the wings against the body, but they usually get overcooked anyway - I should foil them as well.

I've deep fried too, but that is such a big mess and waste of a lot of peanut oil. Plus, I feel like i'm on the edge of serious injury the two times I did it. I'll stick with the Weber :)

@ PassedPawn...I "pinned" the wings down to the breast with some wire. I think the wings came out just fine. I didn't "foil" any part of the turkey while it was cooking, but I did take it off the smoker when the temp hit 165°F. Then, it sat under the empty brew pot for a couple of hours until we were ready to eat.

During the smoking, I added several chunks of hickory soaked in water. That really produced a nice flavor in the meat.

I usually prefer "white" meat when I eat turkey, but last night I had almost all "dark" meat off a leg. Oh, my, was that good eating!!!

The only unusual thing I did was to mix up two packets of mushroom gravy. That on top of the mashed potatoes and turkey was an excellent addition.

Gonna have to smoke another bird sometime soon!

Just found this thread.
Cooked a brisket on the drum yesterday. First attempt at hot and fast brisket, never going back to the low and slow 16 hour cooks again.
Method was brisket on smoker at 325-350 until flat hit about 170, then foiled with a little water until it probed like butter which was about 2 more hours.
Awesome bark and decent smoke ring, so much less stress than my old method of maintaining smoker temp at 225 and hoping the meat would be done at the right time.
I am finding that RDWHAHB is a good strategy for smoking.
Of course pron included.
i-KFw3VPv-XL.jpg

Absolutely love this new hobby.

We smoked a chicken over the weekend. The taste was amazing, but the breast was just a touch too dry for my taste.

That is a beautiful looking bird. I find that they cook better for me when spatchcocked or cut in half entirely. Always seem almost too juicy too. I think I will have to do another 2 birds again this week(end)

Absolutely love this new hobby.

We smoked a chicken over the weekend. The taste was amazing, but the breast was just a touch too dry for my taste.

One thing you can try doing is brining your bird. I do this with turkey, chicken and when I do pulled pork and everything always comes out very juicy.

Great looking bird!

That is a beautiful looking bird. I find that they cook better for me when spatchcocked or cut in half entirely. Always seem almost too juicy too. I think I will have to do another 2 birds again this week(end)

i cut the backbone out my whole chickens too. they cook great when laid flat.

i usually have the opposite problem as well... they come out TOO juicy if I don't let them go long enough. that may sound weird, but its true. soggy bird is gross

Thanks for the tips. I'll try taking out the backbone next time.
I also thought about putting it in brine for 12-24 hours but promptly forgot about it :eek:

Using a brine is supposed to help the meat take on water and taste juicier, but also help it retain that water during roasting correct?

Never brine meat that is labeled "enhanced" or "flavor enhanced" or "self-basting" or "basted" because they have been injected with a salt solution already and are as a result already pre-brined.

When doing chickens I usually just follow this recipe from amazingribs. I do not bother with a brine as mine ends up really juicy.
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/smoked_chicken.html

Also, Make sure you have a good solid pair of kitchen shears when removing the backbone. I have broken a couple pairs of the cheap ones that come with the kitchen knife sets.

Back