prepare to drool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odorf

Guru of Nothing
Reaction score
Step 1

Pealed the “skin” from the inside of the ribs.

Turned the grill on and set it to the smoke setting.

Mixed up mustard, apple juice, honey and Worcestershire sauce.

Slathered the mixture onto the ribs, put McCormick pork rub on them.

Put the ribs on the grill at 0930 where they will be until 1230 (3 hours).
ribs2.jpeg

Step 2

Pull the ribs.

Set the grill on 225°

Tent ribs in aluminum foil, cover them in brown sugar and honey (I used all of the honey in step one so it’s Blackburn syrup) and put a little apple juice in the bottom. They’re now back on the grill for two hours.
ribs3.jpeg

Step 3

Removed them from the foil. They were so tender that I had to cut each rack in half to move them. Even so one bone fell out :).
(Three halves pictured)

ribs4.jpeg

Slathered them in Kraft Honey BBQ Sauce and put them back on the grill. I’ll pull them once the sauce seems to have set.

ribs5.jpeg

ribs6.jpeg

ribs1.jpeg

DSCN5533.JPG

Wow I was right there with you until the Kraft BBQ sauce. Dammit man why didn't you use Sweet Baby Ray's?? Are you in some god forsaken place where you cant get it? Great photos and thanks for sharing your technique, looks like I'll be picking up a few slabs this weekend!

One more thing, can I safely assume the budweiser was for washing out the grill afterwards? Must have been a sticky mess in there.

Edit: For a minute there I thought the potato salad was scrambled eggs. Then the beans made me wonder if this was an English breakfast. Then I'm like, "whoah, ribs for breakfast?! Brits are bad@$$!"

Hey what kind of wood chips should I use to smoke ribs? I have hickory, mesquite, pecan, and apple. I've never made ribs before, just want to be sure I get the right flavor.

Should have used head country. Pretty sure Kraft and Anheuser-Busch go hand in hand though.

Hey what kind of wood chips should I use to smoke ribs? I have hickory, mesquite, pecan, and apple. I've never made ribs before, just want to be sure I get the right flavor.
I use Pecan for just about everything. It's a good mild smoke.

I'd do a mix of hickory and pecan. Actually, I'd use mesquite, but some people find it too bitter. I grew up in South Texas and mesquite grows like a weed. The only thing to do is cut it down and use it for barbecue. I grew up on it, so it doesn't bother me.

I would go hickory and apple. No problem with hickory and pecan either, I just think apple goes wonderfully with pork. For a brisket I'd use a little mesquite (a little goes a long way, it's easy to overdo) and pecan.

Wow I was right there with you until the Kraft BBQ sauce. Dammit man why didn't you use Sweet Baby Ray's??

That would pair quite nicely with the Budweiser, as likewise SBR is an immensely popular yet utterly terrible sauce. All sugar (7 types in total, half sugar by weight), no flavor. The ingredients list, with sugars in bold:

1. High Fructose Corn Syrup
  2. Distilled Vinegar
  3. Tomato Paste
  4. Modified Food Starch
  5. Salt
  6. Pineapple Juice Concentrate
  7. Natural Smoke Flavor
  8. Spices
  9. Caramel Color
  10. Sodium Benzoate
  11. Molasses
  12. Corn Syrup
  13. Garlic
  14. Sugar
  15. Tamarind
  16. Natural Flavor
May as well just mix Karo syrup with some liquid smoke. Give this guy some Stubb's any day--1/8th sugar by weight and tons of flavor, especially the Spicy variety.

That would pair quite nicely with the Budweiser, as likewise SBR is an immensely popular yet utterly terrible sauce. All sugar (7 types in total, half sugar by weight), no flavor. The ingredients list, with sugars in bold:

1. High Fructose Corn Syrup
  2. Distilled Vinegar
  3. Tomato Paste
  4. Modified Food Starch
  5. Salt
  6. Pineapple Juice Concentrate
  7. Natural Smoke Flavor
  8. Spices
  9. Caramel Color
  10. Sodium Benzoate
  11. Molasses
  12. Corn Syrup
  13. Garlic
  14. Sugar
  15. Tamarind
  16. Natural Flavor
May as well just mix Karo syrup with some liquid smoke. Give this guy some Stubb's any day--1/8th sugar by weight and tons of flavor, especially the Spicy variety.
Point taken, although i think calling an ingredient like tomato paste a sugar vs. merely a sugar-containing ingredient is a little misleading, as well as the pineapple juice, molasses, and tamarind which may contain sugar but are included here for flavor. If the intention were merely to load it up with sugar, as you point out, HFCS would be the only ingredient.

Oh, and IMHO Stubb's is an overly salty, vinegary mess. Grody.

Any of them would be flavorful. But I would like to know the OPs opinion.
I reread the OP post and it is quite detailed and enough as a recipe to follow. The "tenting" part I was not sure of though.

Last edited:
Point taken, although i think calling an ingredient like tomato paste a sugar vs. merely a sugar-containing ingredient is a little misleading, as well as the pineapple juice, molasses, and tamarind which may contain sugar but are included here for flavor. If the intention were merely to load it up with sugar, as you point out, HFCS would be the only ingredient.

Agree that many of those ingredients are used for both purposes (and are found in most sauces). But putting HFCS before any other base liquid (water, vinegar, etc) does make the intentions pretty clear. :)

Oh, and IMHO Stubb's is an overly salty, vinegary mess. Grody.

This is an interesting perspective, considering SBR contains both more salt (290g/5th ingredient vs. 240g/7th) and more vinegar (2nd ingredient vs. 4th).

Though I will confess to preferring the fattier meats (spare ribs vs. baby backs, sliced brisket vs. chopped, ribeyes vs. pretty much anything), so it's possible the vinegar doesn't make as distinct an impression on me since the fat cuts the acidity.

Last edited:
OP was not exaggerating. Very impressive display of rib cooking.
Tent ribs in aluminum foil, cover them in brown sugar and honey (I used all of the honey in step one so it’s Blackburn syrup) and put a little apple juice in the bottom. They’re now back on the grill for two hours.
"Tenting" as in closing the foil gently to seal the ribs in? Thanks.

Back