Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Told wife we needed two slabs. Even that is more than we will eat in one sitting, but leftovers are fine.

She ended up buying two packs... Six slabs. Oops!

On the bright side, that means we'll be eating well two weekends in a row. The question is whether I should keep the extra pack stored in a very cold fridge, or freeze them? They're in cryo, so my gut says a week and a half in the fridge will be better than a freeze/thaw cycle

ForumRunner_20131008_182543.jpg

bwarbiany said:
Told wife we needed two slabs. Even that is more than we will eat in one sitting, but leftovers are fine.

She ended up buying two packs... Six slabs. Oops!

On the bright side, that means we'll be eating well two weekends in a row. The question is whether I should keep the extra pack stored in a very cold fridge, or freeze them? They're in cryo, so my gut says a week and a half in the fridge will be better than a freeze/thaw cycle

If you smoke them all you could freeze them for a quickie week night supper.

In retrospect, I should have taken pictures. Smoked a leg of lamb today and it was almost perfect. Realized to late that I was out of hickory and only had pecan and cherry chips so went with the pecan. It's good but it would have been epic with hickory I think. Got a wild hair up my arse this morning and decided to make Tatziki, and naan to go with it. Got another idea mid smoke when I realized I had eggplant so I sliced that up on tossed it in the smoker. Took it out and tossed it in the food processor with some tahini, cumin, lemon juice, garlic and chili powder and made a modified smoked babaganush (not sure actual spelling). Paired it with my single hop double IPA and a nice greek house salad. I am gonna be smoking some more lamb in the future for sure!

Defrosting a beef clod in my fridge to smoke this weekend, and didn't realize the vacuum pack got punctured in the freezer, so I now have a crisper drawer of veggies swimming in beef blood. :eek:

RoughandReadyRanch said:
In retrospect, I should have taken pictures. Smoked a leg of lamb today and it was almost perfect. Realized to late that I was out of hickory and only had pecan and cherry chips so went with the pecan. It's good but it would have been epic with hickory I think. Got a wild hair up my arse this morning and decided to make Tatziki, and naan to go with it. Got another idea mid smoke when I realized I had eggplant so I sliced that up on tossed it in the smoker. Took it out and tossed it in the food processor with some tahini, cumin, lemon juice, garlic and chili powder and made a modified smoked babaganush (not sure actual spelling). Paired it with my single hop double IPA and a nice greek house salad. I am gonna be smoking some more lamb in the future for sure!

Sounds delicious. Funny, we made Tzatziki with our lamb as well!

RoughandReadyRanch said:
It started with the idea of tzatziki and just evolved. My wife and kids are way to spoiled.

You can't beat garlic!! My wife is as well. Doesn't want to do any of the work but she'll eat like she did all of it.

I have a tiny little 3 lb butt for Monday. Prefect size for the 2 of us and I don't have to wake up at the a$$ crack of dawn to start.

I need to decide what to smoke tomorrow/Saturday. I only have a pork shoulder done so far but am considering doing 2 butts (if I can find them) or a butt and rack of some ribs. I want to smoke a whole chicken soon too. decisions decisions.

DrunkleJon said:
I need to decide what to smoke tomorrow/Saturday. I only have a pork shoulder done so far but am considering doing 2 butts (if I can find them) or a butt and rack of some ribs. I want to smoke a whole chicken soon too. decisions decisions.

Cooking for a small army? Just 1 rack? I'm jealous and hungry all at once.

Hickory smoked chicken was really tasty when I did it. guess I need to defrost another bird! Oh wait, heard on of the little guys crowing the other morning. Might be time to get the knife sharp.

In-laws coming for dinner tonight, I'll be smoking three slabs of spares.

50 minutes until I fire up the smoker, and the anticipation is growing!

Great minds think alike. I just put 3 slabs of spares (snagged some on sale @ $1.79) on the smoker for family that's coming for dinner.

Right as I was putting them on the racks, the thunderstorm began. This ought to be interesting. :drunk: I need a brew.:mug:

Smoking a whole duck this weekend, gonna start it tonight and do it low and slow over plum wood for about 15 hours, gonna shove an onion inside the duck so it'll render out with the duck fat giving me a base for some gravy that should rock the house, might throw some sliced mushrooms in there with the onion too.

Actually drying some jerky today using some thin sliced sirloin tips (and LOTS of course ground pepper) :)

Smoking a whole duck this weekend, gonna start it tonight and do it low and slow over plum wood for about 15 hours, gonna shove an onion inside the duck so it'll render out with the duck fat giving me a base for some gravy that should rock the house, might throw some sliced mushrooms in there with the onion too.

I'd like to hear some results and see some photos of this one. Sounds delicious.

Spur of the moment smoke. Storebought pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon from "our pig". Potatoes and a zucchini with kosher salt and olive oil wraped in foil. Kingsford charcoal with a few nice chunks of apple wood on top. I should have started this an hour earlier but I don't think I will starve;) Isn't my UD getting really ugly?

thumb2_img_20131012_191303_081-61197.jpg

thumb2_img_20131012_191325_421-61198.jpg

Got a couple chickens on the WSM right now. Brined them in a simple brine with Simon & Garfunkel herbs.

Yep, it's 8:00, they're not done, and SWMBO and I are getting a little peckish. My plan to start the fire during halftime of the Wisconsin/Northwestern game appears to have been a lousy plan.

Bone-in leg of lamb and some beef spare ribs. First time for the latter. Did an Asian-y glaze that worked nicely with them.

Cooking for a small army? Just 1 rack? I'm jealous and hungry all at once.

Well the last pork shoulder I cooked only lasted me (alone) 3 days. I figured I would make enough to feed me and maybe a couple others one good meal then use the leftovers in something. With all the rain I was thinking chili. As for ribs... I can't pass up ribs. I also figure they will cook faster than the butts.

Unfortunately the rain did not let up until mid-Saturday and I didnt get a chance to throw anything on there. I think I will wait until Thursday (when I have off work because I am working tonight/tomorrow) and then feed those I invite over to help me clean up/paint the upstairs.

I'd like to hear some results and see some photos of this one. Sounds delicious.

The wife forgot to get the onion and mushrooms (it was a hectic day) so I just poured the orange mix over and into the duck then spread some of the pepper jelly we had in the fridge on top so it'd melt down into the duck, my temps were a little lower and slower than I wanted, I set it around 1am last night and woke to it @ 137F oven temp and 123F meat temp so I pushed it up to around 210 to get it ready for dinner. Also I misplaced the 2 lumps of pear wood I had stuck aside for this and had to use my old fallback, 2 lumps of apple wood instead.

DrunkleJon said:
Well the last pork shoulder I cooked only lasted me (alone) 3 days. I figured I would make enough to feed me and maybe a couple others one good meal then use the leftovers in something. With all the rain I was thinking chili. As for ribs... I can't pass up ribs. I also figure they will cook faster than the butts. Unfortunately the rain did not let up until mid-Saturday and I didnt get a chance to throw anything on there. I think I will wait until Thursday (when I have off work because I am working tonight/tomorrow) and then feed those I invite over to help me clean up/paint the upstairs.
Sorry to hear the weekend plans got washed out. I know someone else that ran into the same problem. A during the week BBQ sounds awesome though. Jealous and hungry again. Best of luck with the weather on Thursday.

Back