Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bwarbiany said:
I'm going more traditional. Worcestershire, with SPOG, and a bit of chipotle, ancho, and cayenne. Smoked on hickory, then reverse-sear to finish.

That sounds awesome. Make sure to post some pictures

I figured y'all wanted pictures of the finished product, which isn't ready yet.

Here's the work in progress.

ForumRunner_20131102_162155.jpg

ForumRunner_20131102_162204.jpg

Not actually meat this time, but I will be firing up the smoker for some rainbow trout I just picked up. Slow smoking with some apple wood and a nice home brew. Thinking about it makes me want to fire up the smoker tonight. :)

I normally dry rub all ribs that I smoke. A generous coating of yellow mustard, and then add the dry rub. Leave them in the fridge overnight, and the flavor they take on is great. I know there are a dozen different ways to prep them, but this is how I do it. Cheers!

Smoking a Boston Butt(6ish lbs) on Sunday for some friends. Rubbed it and vacuum sealed it for 2 days in the fridge a week and a half ago then threw it in the freezer. Took it out to defrost in the fridge yesterday. Also going to throw a whole chicken on and some turkey sausage for the wife(pork allergy) and maybe some lobster tail on the grill with some garlic butter. Any suggestions or recommendations for the chicken? I usually spatchcock it and brine it overnight and then put a little rub on it under and over the skin. Still have some Kolsch on tap and a little of my experimental Citra IIPA paint thinner(13.2% not that bad though). Trying to kill one to make room for the Gingerbread IPA that's sitting in the keg waiting to be tapped. Anyone want to help?

I would just dry rub them. I'm not a fan of mustard on beef.

I do know people that only use mustard on pork, but I am a big fan period when it comes to using it with smoking. Heck, I even use it on all the briskets I smoke for both the adhesion properties and mild flavor it adds after hours and layers of smoke.

Once again, the food looks awesome bwarbiany. You have been spending some time with the smoker this weekend, and it shows. I must say, it is the ideal time of year to have the smoker going. :mug:

I did get a couple trout on the smoker Saturday, which turned out great. Most of the weekend has been devoted to a bathroom remodel, or I would have some ribs on today. Here are some pics of the fish.

trout1.jpg

trout2.jpg

Once again, the food looks awesome bwarbainy. You have been spending some time with the smoker this weekend, and it shows. I must say, it is the ideal time of year to have the smoker going. :mug:

Thanks. I'm still a novice. That's what I love about the internet, though... With some research and attention to detail, even a novice like myself can put out some great food!

Not sure about the time of year thing, though... It was 75 degrees here this weekend ;-)

Once again, the food looks awesome bwarbiany. You have been spending some time with the smoker this weekend, and it shows. I must say, it is the ideal time of year to have the smoker going. :mug:

I did get a couple trout on the smoker Saturday, which turned out great. Most of the weekend has been devoted to a bathroom remodel, or I would have some ribs on today. Here are some pics of the fish.

That looks amazing.

Thanks Melana. They were delicious. I personally love smoked fish and normally use apple for the flavor it imparts. Next time I want to try cherry for a comparison. I do wish I could get a hold of some fresh whitefish here in my neck of the woods.

I grew up with Dad smoking some type of meat (usually brisket or sausage) almost every weekend, and learned from him along the way. 30+ years exposure to it. Until a couple years ago, all smoking I had been involve with was wood fire. Then I picked up a Masterbuilt Electric, and love it. I can have it hot and ready to smoke on it 20 mins, and this is all I use at home now.

I prefer wood fired in the colder months, as I agree tending a warm fire, with a cold beer, and meat in the smoker makes for a fine time.

I was really surprised how well I like my electric though. I can get a nice smoke ring on just about anything, with minimal effort. It is worth looking into.

You've got 15 years on my smoking experience... and it's good to hear the electric praise. would make it a lot easier in the winter...

I've always wanted to use bear claws. Problem is, I try to get every piece of fat I can find out of the pork when I am pulling a shoulder/butt. I hate fatty clumps in the mean when I am chewing. Butts are fatty as hell but the less fat I am eating, the better I feel.

It takes me on average 30 minutes to pull one butt.

I got my friend a pair and we used them on a cook. They are pretty awesome. They are solid and it takes way less time than using forks because they are 5x the size.

For those that do beer can chickens I've discovered a couple of things That make it better, save your beer for you and use either orange soda or orange juice in the can and if you want to get the most from the steam put a wedge if potato in the neck to cork the hole. They will fall off the bone. Also my SWMBO takes the left overs and makes a awesome chicken salad has a smokey flavor.

image-980530597.jpg

Bear claws! I've got to get me a pair of those. How do you like them over forks?

Life saver. I have a pair of metal ones that I like slightly better.

I can use them to pick up and move around the butt on the smoker if I need to. Lifts it easy without falling apart in the smoker too.

Pulling it it easy as heck. I can get a 6-7 pound butt pulled, and the clumps of fat out in no time at all, and I'm not burned to death doing it.

Life saver. I have a pair of metal ones that I like slightly better.

I can use them to pick up and move around the butt on the smoker if I need to. Lifts it easy without falling apart in the smoker too.

Pulling it it easy as heck. I can get a 6-7 pound butt pulled, and the clumps of fat out in no time at all, and I'm not burned to death doing it.

Where'd you get the metal ones?

Back