Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is a master built it was $200 at lowes had it for 5 years and still works like new. I love that thing!

I recently upgraded my bullet-style electric smoker to the MES 30 as well. I LOVE it!

Prime Rib time.

10155139_10152822729997178_5989614353904961332_n.jpg

10268521_10152822730152178_5829106099174765577_n.jpg

I dry rubbed a whole ham & let it sit in the fridge while I got the pit cleaned & going. First time pit BBQ this season! Got it in at 1:15PM for 4-5 hours for dinner. Will get a pic later. Had to use a small Midwest bag of leftover dextrose in the dry rub. No brown or demerara sugars left. We'll see if that works to get a glaze soaking into the ham over time. Now if I just wouldn't have burned my right thumb & fore-finger...

Does anyone out there have the 14.5 inch WSM? Living in Germany, all Weber products are double the price (when factoring in conversion rate) and the 14.5" model is the only one I can get sent here through my USPS APO box.

I know that it is rather small, but when I smoke, it is normally for me and my wife so it's not usually a lot of meat.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home

I use a brick and put the wood/charcoal on one side. A pan with beer and seasoning on the other. The meat goes over the pan, and the air vents in the lid go over the meat. I also have a handy thermometer by kings ford that sits on the grate.

Today smoked some Tyson Country ribs. 5 hours. Added woo/charcoal as needed to keep 220. Mopped every hour when I checked. Smoked a small brisket for 9 hours. It was pretty easy to maintain temp. There are a lot if YouTube videos about it for larger webers. Also could try the snake method.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398040165.667443.jpg

Picked up a ham for Resurrection Sunday dinner with family and friends. Ran it on the smoker for 4 hours. The best part was the stout-based glaze I made. I basted the ham every time I added chips and lump to the smoker (every 30-40 min.). The recipe for it is:

Stout Glaze: Combine 1 bottle stout beer, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons mustard powder. Cook over medium heat in a sauce pan until sauce is reduced by half.​

20140419_173955.jpg

It was such a hit, SWMBO "asked" if I would have any left over for drizzling on our individual servings, so I had to make a second batch for the table. :)

The bone-in ham turned out great.

20140419_211114.jpg

My SIL said it was the best ham she has ever had.

Next up: split pea soup. :rockin:

Forgot to show the final product... Unfortunately (or fortunately?) my guests attacked it before I could get pictures of it after slicing...

I can help you out with some pics. Pulled the pastrami, brisket, and pork off the smoker this morning. Just sliced up the brisket for lunch for my youngest boy. It's delish. Maybe a little dry, but that's what sauce is for.

_mg_8321-62813.jpg

_mg_8323-62814.jpg

_mg_8322-62816.jpg

I can help you out with some pics. Pulled the pastrami, brisket, and pork off the smoker this morning. Just sliced up the brisket for lunch for my youngest boy. It's delish. Maybe a little dry, but that's what sauce is for.

_mg_8321-62813.jpg

_mg_8323-62814.jpg

_mg_8322-62816.jpg

Would you care to share any details about the pastrami? Looks awesome..

Oooh please do share your process for the prime rib!!

Smoked (more like roasted) at 350F to 138F internal. Pulled and let rest for 30 minutes. Then sliced. Used two, small pieces of oak in my WSM.

Made a rub with salt, pepper and garlic powder. The crust and flavor came out perfect for prime rib (salty and peppery). Very easy to make.

Would you care to share any details about the pastrami? Looks awesome..

Here you go!

I sliced it up last night. I use a mandolin to slice it after it's been refrigerated (cold meat slices easier).

To make pastrami, you first need to make (or buy) corn beef, then cover it with a thick rub of pepper and coriander, then smoke over oak. I smoke it pretty dry so then it slices it's perfectly.

For the rub, I use the simple ingredient list from here. I cover the pastrami with yellow mustard before I apply the rub... that way I get a nice thick coating of spices that sticks well.

Here's some pics from a pastrami I made a month or two ago.

Broth for corning the beef (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe.html)
_mg_8115-62371.jpg

Full brisket flat ( ~ 12#)
_mg_8118-62372.jpg

Beef in double ziplock back, with broth, for about 10 days in beer fridge.
_mg_8120-62373.jpg

Corned beef finished.
_mg_8136-62519.jpg

Cut in half. Half went into crock pot for St. Pat's day. The other half turns into pastrami, below. Note it's red inside. That's from the "pink salt", the sodium nitrate that I added to the broth.
_mg_8137-62520.jpg

Covered with fresh ground pepper and coriander. I use whole peppercorns and coriander seed and grind them quickly in my coffee grinder.
_mg_8139-62521.jpg

Smoking on the weber. After about 10 or 12 hours on the smoker it will be dry and blackish. The brown color of the rub on the outside won't last.
_mg_8140-62522.jpg

Slicing it thin (1/16 - 1/8") on the mandolin, after refrigerating it overnight. Slice across the grain of the meat.
_mg_8157-62526.jpg

On a rye, with a bit of sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and brown mustard. My kids also like eating it with russian dressing (made one for my daughter last night that way).
_mg_8162-62527.jpg

Actually took these around to farmers who let my group Waterfowl hunt on their land.

That's awesome!!!

When I smoke pork butt, I usually give away a few lbs. to the local firehouse. I vac-seal the rest for nachos and sandwiches.

Smoked (more like roasted) at 350F to 138F internal. Pulled and let rest for 30 minutes. Then sliced. Used two, small pieces of oak in my WSM.

Made a rub with salt, pepper and garlic powder. The crust and flavor came out perfect for prime rib (salty and peppery). Very easy to make.

Awesome. Thanks. My new WSM should be here this week and I'm trying to decide what to put on first. Wanted to try something I haven't done yet

Smoked some beef jerky this weekend and some canada goose pastrami. No pics of the pastrami though :(

jerky.jpg

Here you go!

I sliced it up last night. I use a mandolin to slice it after it's been refrigerated (cold meat slices easier).

To make pastrami, you first need to make (or buy) corn beef, then cover it with a thick rub of pepper and coriander, then smoke over oak. I smoke it pretty dry so then it slices it's perfectly.

For the rub, I use the simple ingredient list from here. I cover the pastrami with yellow mustard before I apply the rub... that way I get a nice thick coating of spices that sticks well.

Here's some pics from a pastrami I made a month or two ago.

Broth for corning the beef (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe.html)
_mg_8115-62371.jpg

Full brisket flat ( ~ 12#)
_mg_8118-62372.jpg

Beef in double ziplock back, with broth, for about 10 days in beer fridge.
_mg_8120-62373.jpg

Corned beef finished.
_mg_8136-62519.jpg

Cut in half. Half went into crock pot for St. Pat's day. The other half turns into pastrami, below. Note it's red inside. That's from the "pink salt", the sodium nitrate that I added to the broth.
_mg_8137-62520.jpg

Covered with fresh ground pepper and coriander. I use whole peppercorns and coriander seed and grind them quickly in my coffee grinder.
_mg_8139-62521.jpg

Smoking on the weber. After about 10 or 12 hours on the smoker it will be dry and blackish. The brown color of the rub on the outside won't last.
_mg_8140-62522.jpg

Slicing it thin (1/16 - 1/8") on the mandolin, after refrigerating it overnight. Slice across the grain of the meat.
_mg_8157-62526.jpg

On a rye, with a bit of sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and brown mustard. My kids also like eating it with russian dressing (made one for my daughter last night that way).
_mg_8162-62527.jpg

I want that sandwich.

Anyone with experience "smoking" on a gas grill?

My wife and I will be going to Canada to visit her family and they want me to make some pulled pork but they only have a gas grill.

Any tips or advice?

Sorry, my poor gas grill barely gets used anymore! I can't be of much help there.

I did make some more chicken thighs and drums for yesterday's lunch though. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398600890.996120.jpg

Anyone with experience "smoking" on a gas grill?

My wife and I will be going to Canada to visit her family and they want me to make some pulled pork but they only have a gas grill.

Any tips or advice?

I'm sure it could be done, but honestly if gas grill is your only option couldn't you just bake it?

I'm sure it could be done, but honestly if gas grill is your only option couldn't you just bake it?

I have a pretty cheap gas grill and tried using one of those wood chip trays that you set on the burner. It was hard to keep temp on the gas grill and I didn't really like the wood chip tray - the chips burn fast and it was really hard to refill because it was under the grate.

Depending on what you are making, liquid smoke and a crockpot or oven can be a good substitute.

Totally possible to smoke on a gas grill. I did a great pork butt on my gas grill before getting a proper smoker...

Either put wood chips in a heavy-duty foil pouch, or get one of those cast-iron smoker trays.

Set the tray on one side and only use that burner, try to rig up a water pan if you can under the meat, and you're good to go.

Totally possible to smoke on a gas grill. I did a great pork butt on my gas grill before getting a proper smoker...

Either put wood chips in a heavy-duty foil pouch, or get one of those cast-iron smoker trays.

Set the tray on one side and only use that burner, try to rig up a water pan if you can under the meat, and you're good to go.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot before we head over so hopefully I can get somewhat of a method down.

I broke a pork butt down for various uses. I wanted to do something different with the money muscle portion so I picked up some Fischer Wieser Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. I brined the pork a few hours then cooked the roast indirect at 350*F with some Stubb's and a chunk of Peach wood... just in time for the rain. But the show must go on. I started glazing at 175*F until 190*F internal. Early on I placed the baked sweet potatoes below the meat and the rolls are SWMBO's homemade dinner rolls made from my spent grains. Yummo! This was an awesome meal.

The WSM is workin on a slab of bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back