Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396836235.587215.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not the above turkey and not this weekend but I just pulled these two split chickens off the smoker. Got some mac and cheese baking and mashed taters in the making.

1397082043716.jpg

1397082060183.jpg

Just tossed a chicken, 2 quarters, 2 lamb breasts, pork neck bones, and two chops in the weber smoker. All seasoned with my 'house' dry rub....pictures to follow soon

It did ok, I had to fight it about 1-2 hrs in. Struggled to stay below 300. I apparently have an air leak somewhere. Will try some mods and do another attempt. Turned out pretty good though. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397349184.037152.jpg

Who's smoking meat this weekend? Well, me for one. Sunday is BB Rib day at my house. We love 'em. Get 'em all over our faces and just have the best time along with not homebrew, but rather, artisanally brewed beer. Love the weekends.

Just pulled a few catfish fillets off the smoker. After about 3 hrs at 185 F and a little apple wood smoke, they are begging to be eaten. :)

1397428097360.jpg

Thanks...they were good. Actually, I only used a brine and then smoked bare. This is my preferred method with all fish. The apple smoke really comes through this way.

With some elbow grease and determination I got my smoker running.... Smoking chicken breasts and sausage for later pizza toppings

Does anyone out there have the 14.5 inch WSM? Living in Germany, all Weber products are double the price (when factoring in conversion rate) and the 14.5" model is the only one I can get sent here through my USPS APO box.

I know that it is rather small, but when I smoke, it is normally for me and my wife so it's not usually a lot of meat.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home

I made some chicken, beans and atomic buffalo turds last weekend for lunch. The butcher took my order Monday for some pork belly. Hopefully he gives me a call before the weekend to come get it. I want to make some bacon!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397649201.894342.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397649221.998062.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397649237.076209.jpg

Made this turkey last night, wishing it was the weekend again!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397649281.428676.jpg

I have a question (probably pretty stupid... meaning me that is) and need some advice. I live in a condo where grilling/smoking with anything other than electric is not allowed. I grill anyway with a small table top grill. I mean, whats a man with out a grill and beer, huh? I have one that uses those small camping propane tanks. The little green ones. Anyway, I would like to start smoking, but am curious of two things. Do smokers put out a lot of smoke? I've been told yes and no by different people. And can anyone recommend a smaller sized smoker? Something that can be kept in a storage closet... next to my illegal grill and illegal brewing burner. Shhhh... don't tell anyone :cool:

I have a question (probably pretty stupid... meaning me that is) and need some advice. I live in a condo where grilling/smoking with anything other than electric is not allowed. I grill anyway with a small table top grill. I mean, whats a man with out a grill and beer, huh? I have one that uses those small camping propane tanks. The little green ones. Anyway, I would like to start smoking, but am curious of two things. Do smokers put out a lot of smoke? I've been told yes and no by different people. And can anyone recommend a smaller sized smoker? Something that can be kept in a storage closet... next to my illegal grill and illegal brewing burner. Shhhh... don't tell anyone :cool:

In my experience, I get the most smoke when starting the coals and when the wood is smoldering, but even then, it's not much.

As far as a small smoker, I just ordered the 14.5" WSM. If you're interested, I'll let you know how it is after I use it for the first time.

Just search electric smokers. They work well and don't make a ton of smoke.

Just started the heat in the smoker have to put 15lbs of brisket in for a dinner tomorrow night. MMMMMMMM!

Mine is a master built it was $200 at lowes had it for 5 years and still works like new. I love that thing!

Mine is a master built it was $200 at lowes had it for 5 years and still works like new. I love that thing!

I agree. Love my masterbuilt electric smoker. It has outside led lights so you can work in the dark. Also comes with a built in digital meat probe so you don't have to open it up to check temps all the time. Makes the job even easier.

When they are going, if you are doing it right, you will smell it but not see much smoke. It is called thin blue smoke for a reason.

In my experience, I get the most smoke when starting the coals and when the wood is smoldering, but even then, it's not much.

As far as a small smoker, I just ordered the 14.5" WSM. If you're interested, I'll let you know how it is after I use it for the first time

If using coal, in my experience kingsford smokes plenty for me, the royal oak natural lump doesnt smoke as bad, but yeah, the smoke is worst when lighting it. I am sure the propane/electrics wont have that start up smoke and just the as it smokes type which is minimal.

Oh, and I have been voluntold to smoke up a turkey on sunday.

I'll be doing a double smoked ham on the WSM for Easter.

Seasoned up a chuck roast with Penzy's BBQ of the Americas, some Chef Meritos, and a concoction I came up with. I went 225 - 250*F for a few hours on the top grate of the 14.5" WSM. After a few hours I had a brainstorm. Instead of placing it in a disposable foil pan and covering with alum foil, I removed the water pan and the top cooking grate, placed the roast in a 12" Cast Iron Dutch Oven along with a some Roeselare Red as a braising fluid and placed that back on the WSM. A couple hours later I declared victory, pulled it and made a nice sammich topped with some Sweet Baby Ray's served along side some pickled okra, olives, and cucumbers as well as some cilantro lime corn. Yummers. The 14.5" performed flawlessly... as expected. Cheers!

Seasoned up a chuck roast with Penzy's BBQ of the Americas, some Chef Meritos, and a concoction I came up with. I went 225 - 250*F for a few hours on the top grate of the 14.5" WSM. After a few hours I had a brainstorm. Instead of placing it in a disposable foil pan and covering with alum foil, I removed the water pan and the top cooking grate, placed the roast in a 12" Cast Iron Dutch Oven along with a some Roeselare Red as a braising fluid and placed that back on the WSM. A couple hours later I declared victory, pulled it and made a nice sammich topped with some Sweet Baby Ray's served along side some pickled okra, olives, and cucumbers as well as some cilantro lime corn. Yummers. The 14.5" performed flawlessly... as expected. Cheers!

What size was that roast?

Back