Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning on doing a couple spatchcocked chickens tomorrow. Going to smoke them at 325.

If I've got birds in the 3.5# range, any *rough* idea how long I should factor for cooking? I'm thinking it's not likely to go beyond 2 hours?

Yeah, should be less than 2 hours.

I normally get something around 3-4 pounds, but I actually just go ahead and cut it in half anyways, remove the backbone and breast bone.

Smoke it around 275* and then finish on high heat to crisp up the skin a bit. Takes 2 hours total probably, and I normally just leave it on and take my time with it anyways. Best way to smoke chicken, IMO. Beercan doesn't really do a damn thing but steam inside.

I've got 50 wings rubbed down, and ready to go into the BGE sometime tomorrow. Planning on brewing up some stuff, and enjoy firing up the smoker while doing so. Have some neighbors coming over to hang out too, hence the request for wings.

Plan to smoke 'em with cherry and hickory blend at 250* for around an hour or two, then pull them and put in the fryer for a little crisp.. Should be tasty.

Just put a couple racks of BBs on the smoker...Boy how I love the smell of hickory and the flavor it imparts on pork. 5 hours and counting. :mug:

ForumRunner_20131123_095051.jpg

Going to throw a rack of spare ribs and 6 beef short ribs on in about an hour. First low and slow with the new pellet grill so should be interesting to see how it does

Going to throw a rack of spare ribs and 6 beef short ribs on in about an hour. First low and slow with the new pellet grill so should be interesting to see how it does

ForumRunner_20131123_130355.jpg

Beef short ribs marinated in allegro brisket marinade in back. St louis cut spares in the middled rubbed with a thrown together pork rub and beef short ribs with SPOG in front. Also threw a couple of potatoes on the top rack

^what kinda pellet rig did you get? pellet grills rock!

I got a cookshack/fast eddy PG500. Done chicken thighs and pork stakes at 400 degrees in two cooks , and a couple of ribeyes chargrilled at 600 all with hickory and all great. Stuff today is using a mix of hickory and cherry. Still got to get the grill figured out but so far it beats my old gasser for grilling and thinking it is going to do even better for smoking

Been playing with my sauces, so I threw on a chicken and made an Alabama white sauce to go on it. Bird turned out good, but everyone raved about the sauce.

Smoked a turkey for my students. Many of them cannot get home for Thanksgiving, and it bugs me that they might not have a real TG meal. I provide the turkey, they provide the sides.

students2.jpg

Students.jpg

We'll be doing it again this Thursday! 20 pounder for the family and a few orphans.

Is there a reason you smoked it breast down? After 20 years of smoking stuff I am going to actually smoke my first turkey next week. Not the biggest fan of turkey and would rather be throwing a big brisket onto the smoker instead.

I've got 3 slabs of baby backs' to toss on tomorrow sometime.. Haven't had the time to do much with them between a smoke today, 2 batches of beer, and a batch of cider!

Good lookin' stuff out there. I'll post pics of the wings, they were amazing. Smoke 'em and them fry 'em for a couple seconds.. Yowza.

I smoked a Brisket and a rack of ribs for the Alabama/LSU foozball game last week. ...still munching on Brisket. :)

2013-11-16103216_zpsfcfe55bc.jpg

Here's some wings on the BGE ready to soak up the goodness.

There they are all done smoking, and fresh out of the fryer. Man they were awesome. No sauce needed at all.

Now I've got a rack of ribs on there.

Is there a reason you smoked it breast down? After 20 years of smoking stuff I am going to actually smoke my first turkey next week. Not the biggest fan of turkey and would rather be throwing a big brisket onto the smoker instead.

Yes. Keeps the juices running into the breast meat. I flip the bird with one hour left.

Awesome!

I just picked up another turkey. That's three turkeys we'll be making. I have about 30-35 people coming to my house for Thanksgiving.

I will be brining two of the turkeys and smoking them. One is 14 pounds and the second is 18.

The third turkey (12 lb.) will be roasted in the oven.

Cut a 7lb pork roast in half. smoked at around 200-220 for 13 hours.
Making a bunch of recipes for a Thanksgiving feast with it. Stuffing the turkey with a pulled pork stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, and using the grease mixed into the mashed potatoes.

pork.jpg

Getting everything together tonight for the smoked turkey breast.

Got a 8# breast to smoke, and a 14# whole turkey to fry. The 14# is brined already, and I'm gonna get the breast done wednesday afternoon, brine it over night, and smoke it around 9AM to eat at 1PM.

SquareHeadBrew said:
Cut a 7lb pork roast in half. smoked at around 200-220 for 13 hours. Making a bunch of recipes for a Thanksgiving feast with it. Stuffing the turkey with a pulled pork stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, and using the grease mixed into the mashed potatoes.
that looks sounds really good!! I wished I could do something like that, but I'm stuck with the traditional family thanksgiving, your basic roasted turkey and stuffing, and all the fixings. I did deep fry a turkey a couple years on the side for extra turkey! It's good, but not worth what cooking oil cost nowadays.

The fry oil keeps for a long time. I siphon it back into the container. I usually fry at least 2 at a time ( back to back) and then like a good southerner, anything else I can get my hands on.

Both of my turkeys have been taken out of the brine, rinsed and dried. They're now in the fridge. In other news, my Maverick ET-73 died. It was a good 4-5 years (in rain and snow). Good thing I just found the extra I ordered 4-5 years ago. I'm ready to smoke!

View attachment 162744

The in-laws are cooking the turkey, so I'm doing brisket! 14 1/2 lb packer before trimming, injected with beef broth and rubbed with SPOG. It's in the fridge, and I should start smoking early this afternoon...

Remmy said:
Both of my turkeys have been taken out of the brine, rinsed and dried. They're now in the fridge. In other news, my Maverick ET-73 died. It was a good 4-5 years (in rain and snow). Good thing I just found the extra I ordered 4-5 years ago. I'm ready to smoke!

I assume you grabbed them when they had that crazy sale a few years ago. I picked up one, wish I would have grabbed another.

bwarbiany said:
Can I wait until the whole thing cooks to separate the point and then foil the flat, throwing it in a cooler our warning drawer, and make the burnt ends with fully-cooked point? Or should I separate at 170-180 degrees?

I think you can do it either way.

Back