Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You notice a difference with brine?
I always brine poultry. 1cup white sugar or brown and1 cup course salt(kosher) to 1gal water. Some say 12hrs some say 24. I get by with 12 but also inject a couple of squirts in thick parts like breast and inner thighs really depends on the size of the beast. I have found 24hrs the outer parts can get a little to salty

Oh and it makes a big difference. Also keep in mind that some turkeys are already packaged presoaked in a brine solution. Keep that in mind for amount of salt adding to the brine if that's what you are doing.

Here’s what’s left of a turkey I smoked for work!
IMG_3749.JPG

image.jpg
I got my turkey going right now but the color isn’t quite dark it’s been on for 7 hours at 230

It was bribed with an “Island garlic and herb” premade brine for 13 hours and then I injected Tony’s Garlic and herb injection just before I put her on

I can’t explain the flavor othe than it was the best I ever made...and Thant’s from the whole fam....which I was upset about caus I thought the fried version was the best

Smoked the main event for the first time this year. Only dry brined for about 20 hours but that turned out ok. Biggest mistake was using hickory, it just ended up a bit too Smokey for me. Still was awfully tasty though.

Smoked for about 2-3 hours and hit it under the broiler for a bit to crisp up the skin

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_4236[1].JPG

I forgot to take a pic of the whole bird AGAIN but this is it all sliced up. It was an 18 pound bird, brined for 18 hours. I put it in the smoker at 12:30am and when I went back at 6:30am to make sure I still had smoke, the breast was already 170F so I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in an ice chest until the family got together at 2pm.

I am still trying to figure out how it cooked so fast. My best guess is that the temp gauge on the smoker is off and it wasn't really 250F but that is still a huge difference from the estimated 9-12 hours!

Arghh, a little different smoke for me this weekend. I put a pork butt on or picnic, whatever they sell from Sam's. And my wife goes what about the play? Oh right, the play. No big deal, I'll just put it down to 250 when we leave like I always do. So when we leave the park is at 165 I want to say maybe even 169, and for some reason I put it at 225 figuring that should get it done. Not taking into consideration the cold weather, I come home and the puppies at 172. That means that it cooked for 4 hours and only went up 3° or so. I decided to finish it in the oven and thought I'll wrap it in parchment like Aaron Franklin does brisket. Well it was late and it was clear that wasn't going to get the job done quick enough. So I did the only thing I thought I could do. I tore the pork up with some Forks and put it in a big casserole dish covered it with parchment, and cooked it at 400. I think it almost got there. There was still some fat hanging out. It was plenty good and has the usual two parts sugar one part salt rub on it.
20181202_220036.jpg
20181202_224414.jpg

Pandora's Turkey, brined, first time making a bacon lattice will be doing that again.

Attachments

• 20181202_130026.jpg
    20181202_130026.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 20181202_130406.jpg
    20181202_130406.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 20181202_163252.jpg
    20181202_163252.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
Has anyone here smoked a chuck roast?

I'm wanting to do a 3-4# one soon but all the research I've done, I have no idea how long to plan the cook for. I've seen some people smoke a 3# in 4 hours, but I've also seen a 3# cook for 9 hours. I guess plan on it taking longer and if anything just let it rest longer in foil/cooler before slicing?

I'm wanting to do a 3-4# one soon but all the research I've done, I have no idea how long to plan the cook for. I've seen some people smoke a 3# in 4 hours, but I've also seen a 3# cook for 9 hours. I guess plan on it taking longer and if anything just let it rest longer in foil/cooler before slicing?
I have smoked plenty of them now and they are one of my favorite things. Trim them well. They start fast but do take some time to finish. Salt only. Has never done me wrong. My kids call it "steak". Feel free to ask any more questions.

I freeze and reheat it. You would think that I would remember how long but I don't because I usually cook different kinds of meat and they all get pulled at different times. Some of them cook faster than others. I will try to find notes later but I don't have time now. Depending on size I would guess 8 hours at 275. They can take a while.

Last edited:
I have smoked plenty of them now and they are one of my favorite things. Trim them well. They start fast but do take some time to finish. Salt only. Has never done me wrong. My kids call it "steak". Feel free to ask any more questions.

I freeze and reheat it. You would think that I would remember how long but I don't because I usually cook different kinds of meat and they all get pulled at different times. Some of them cook faster than others. I will try to find notes later but I don't have time now. Depending on size I would guess 8 hours at 275. They can take a while.

I agree on the simple rub. I use salt, black pepper, and a little red pepper. I have done 3 or 4 of these but still not 100% sure on the best temp to cook to..just curious, what do you pull yours at?

190ish or so. They have more potential to dry out than pork, but they are good higher or lower. 190 and above is a good enough rule. Note that I do cook them at 275 straight through. If lower temp I would be worried about drying this particular meat. Pork not so much. I can say that I have never had a bad one or one not turn out. If it doesnt look really good to begin with, it will be hard to fix that. Find a nicely marbled one. Iirc, they have big flinstone and smaller two packs. I think anymore I look for the biggest steak. Man, have you seen those ribs at sams? They have the whole frigging loin on them or whatever the baby back is attached too. Anyone ever smoke one of those beasts?

Last edited:

I actually used it for burnt ends (shown above). 7 ish hours to get up to 190° before I added sauce. It did the usual stall at 160° but I didn't wrap it or change my heat. 225-250° the whole time.

Nice!
If only I could find that in Eastern TN. What's a wesrern guy to do?

Don't you have a good butcher anywhere around?

Around here my high-end butcher only has short ribs cut in the flanken style in his display case, but if I ask him, he'll pull out a rack of short ribs and either sell me the 3-bone rack whole, or cut them basically any way I ask.

Don't you have a good butcher anywhere around?

Around here my high-end butcher only has short ribs cut in the flanken style in his display case, but if I ask him, he'll pull out a rack of short ribs and either sell me the 3-bone rack whole, or cut them basically any way I ask.
I saw one that is supposed to be decent but beef selection in this area is terrible compared to what I'm used to

A while back my mom gave me a 10lb bag of chicken legs. I finally got tired of them taking up my freezer space so I threw them in the smoker. Three hours later, we made a dent in them for dinner. I pulled the meat off the leftovers and rebagged for soups and enchiladas this week.

A while back my mom gave me a 10lb bag of chicken legs. I finally got tired of them taking up my freezer space so I threw them in the smoker. Three hours later, we made a dent in them for dinner. I pulled the meat off the leftovers and rebagged for soups and enchiladas this week.
Love the thinking and pulling the meat. Smokers are the best. They are especially great for dealing with stuff in the freezer from mom :) ! I started to defrost every Thursday and smoke every Saturday until I was cleaned out. Now I try to smoke, then freeze.

I don't remember who recommended the chuck roast in here...thank you to whoever that was because it was so good! I now see no reason to ever do pork butt (never been a big fan but it has its purposes). Chuck roast is just a way more delicious pork butt

Back