Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I do butts I also put some up in the freezer (1# and 2# packages).

I have a BB ($2.89/#) and a St. Louis Cut Spare ($1.99/#) thawing right now for tomorrow.

After they're foiled I'll pop in X (not weighed yet) amount of jalapeno's and "Sweet Heat" peppers to smoke, dehydrate and grind.

10/18: EDIT/UPDATE: Ribs went on at 0845...prepping (thawing) peppers now...

Last edited:
These were the ribs I got for $1.99 a pound. Smoked for 5 hours over Apple wood and brushed with apple butter BBQ sauce so they were super sweet. Should have pulled them off a little sooner, but tasty either way!
IMG_20181021_180722.jpeg

These were the ribs I got for $1.99 a pound. Smoked for 5 hours over Apple wood and brushed with apple butter BBQ sauce so they were super sweet. Should have pulled them off a little sooner, but tasty either way!View attachment 594005
Them thar ribs look pretty good....I'm having pizza. Can't have smoked polish sausage again.

What's Apple butter bbq sauce?

When I think of Apple Butter I think of Cinnamon Apple Sauce that my grand mother used to make. It's like she melted cinnamon red hots into some apple sauce. I may be wrong.

Them thar ribs look pretty good....I'm having pizza. Can't have smoked polish sausage again.

What's Apple butter bbq sauce?

When I think of Apple Butter I think of Cinnamon Apple Sauce that my grand mother used to make. It's like she melted cinnamon red hots into some apple sauce. I may be wrong.

I don't know much about it except it's superrrr sweet and that's all I can tell from it. It doesn't have an ingredient list unfortunately. I believe it's just apples and spices(cinnamon,nutmeg) added to a barbecue sauce. We went to a local orchard a few weeks ago for my fiance to stock up on apple butter and hard cider, and right next to that display was the apple butter bbq sauce. I bought a jar of it of course. I think if I use it again I'll definitely go light on the amount I use.

These were the ribs I got for $1.99 a pound. Smoked for 5 hours over Apple wood and brushed with apple butter BBQ sauce so they were super sweet. Should have pulled them off a little sooner, but tasty either way!View attachment 594005

I drizzled honey and sprinkled brown sugar on the foil, put meat side down and drizzled some Apple Juice Simple Syrup on the bone side. They went to 207F so I could pull the bones out clean. Then I made "2 meat" (not bones) sandwiches on burger buns.

Regular SS is 1C sugar to 1 C water boiled and reduced some. My AJSS is 1 C AJ and 3 C sugar reduced. Great on pancakes too.

I agree, even though I not a real sauce guy, your ribs looked yummy.

I don't know much about it except it's superrrr sweet and that's all I can tell from it. It doesn't have an ingredient list unfortunately. I believe it's just apples and spices(cinnamon,nutmeg) added to a barbecue sauce. We went to a local orchard a few weeks ago for my fiance to stock up on apple butter and hard cider, and right next to that display was the apple butter bbq sauce. I bought a jar of it of course. I think if I use it again I'll definitely go light on the amount I use.
I used Apple Juice spray on my ribs back on labor day, every 15 minutes for 4 hours... That sounds like it would go well with what I made.

I've been tempted to make my own bbq sauce. This might be a reason to start.

I drizzled honey and sprinkled brown sugar on the foil, put meat side down and drizzled some Apple Juice Simple Syrup on the bone side. They went to 207F so I could pull the bones out clean. Then I made "2 meat" (not bones) sandwiches on burger buns.

Regular SS is 1C sugar to 1 C water boiled and reduced some. My AJSS is 1 C AJ and 3 C sugar reduced. Great on pancakes too.

I agree, even though I not a real sauce guy, your ribs looked yummy.
Thanks!

I used Apple Juice spray on my ribs back on labor day, every 15 minutes for 4 hours... That sounds like it would go well with what I made.

I've been tempted to make my own bbq sauce. This might be a reason to start.
Make your own! MAKE YOUR OWN!!!
You home brew, malt your own grain or roast/smoke malt, smoke meat, cure meat and who knows what else. Dont fear the sauce, boss!

If I'm feeling lazy, which is most of the time, I use a premade sauce as a base and modify. But time permitting, I'll make my own. To be honest though, my sauces are a little inconsistent, but I also haven't kept any notes for reproducibility.

I have made homemade bbq sauce it was good. But wow, some of these recipes are amazing. Not sure I had enough ingredients. Some of these recipes call for a pinch of everything in my cabinet plus ten things I dont have. Anyone have a good go to recipe for bbq sauce?

I like sauces not to spicey for the kids but other than that only judge good or bad. Probably spawns from unfamiliarity with the different types. I like vinegary carolina sauce, but that is out with kids. Im game for anything though, thanks. I have used the neelys rubs and i liked them. 2 to 1 salt to sugar in the ones I have used. That sauce above from walmart is super good, but yeah its pricey.
Edit-That neely recipe might be what I tried, need to check screenshots.

This is probably not the right place for this question, but between a GMG and a Trager, which one would you go with? I have a Webber summit gas grill that rocks the burgers and ribeyes, but want to smoke brisket and ribs.

Suggestions outside of GMG and Trager are welcome. Looking in the $5-600 range.

I started making my own sauces because I don't routinely keep sauces in stock and I live just far enough away from a store to conveniently go get it. As such, most sauces are based around whatever I have available.

Herb spice rub
In a bowl, mix 1/3 cup paprika, 2 teaspoons each garlic powder and onion powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon each dry mustard, ground coriander, ground or rubbed sage, dried marjoram, dried thyme, and pepper. Makes about 1/2 cup.

Traditional Barbecue Sauce
1. In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pan, combine 2 cups ketchup; 1/2 cup each molasses, granulated sugar, and firmly packed brown sugar; 1/4 cup each lemon juice and cider vinegar; 2 tablespoons each Worcestershire and ground dried ancho chiles (or regular chili powder); 2 teaspoons ground ginger, and the reserved 2 tablespoons herb spice rub. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and reduced to about 3 cups and flavors are well blended, 20 to 25 minutes.

2. Add 1 cup meat juices (supplement with beef broth if you have less than 1 cup, or use all beef broth) and salt to taste. Serve warm or cool. Makes about 4 cups.

I use the above BBQ sauce & have made adjustments to it over the years.

This is probably not the right place for this question, but between a GMG and a Trager, which one would you go with? I have a Webber summit gas grill that rocks the burgers and ribeyes, but want to smoke brisket and ribs.

Suggestions outside of GMG and Trager are welcome. Looking in the $5-600 range.

Personally, GMG. I think Traeger is somewhat trading on its name rather than product improvement, whereas GMG is more in that Avis "we're #2; we try harder" position. When I looked at it a while back, GMG appeared to have better bang for the buck, better features, and didn't seem to be giving anything up.

Had I not bought my Kamado Joe, I was going to go with the GMG Jim Bowie.

Personally, GMG. I think Traeger is somewhat trading on its name rather than product improvement, whereas GMG is more in that Avis "we're #2; we try harder" position. When I looked at it a while back, GMG appeared to have better bang for the buck, better features, and didn't seem to be giving anything up.

Had I not bought my Kamado Joe, I was going to go with the GMG Jim Bowie.

Thanks for the reply. Thats pretty much the conclusion I’ve drawn well. Traeger seems to have a slightly higher failure rate with their controllers. Chatted to a few people that have one or the other. I have yet to hear a GMG owner say they wished they had gotten a Traeger. Plus the new wifi feature the GMGs have is pretty slick and only available on the highest end Tragers.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks guys for the awesome sauce and rub recipes.

My gut instinct tells me to get the one where the smoke comes from the bottom, if possible. I went to a party and my friend had one where the smoke came from the side, a pellet one. I reaearched it, just for kicks and iirc, there is something to bottom smoke, like an egg.

Last edited:
Leg of Lamb going on as soon as the temp stablizes. Sitting @315 right now, coals glowing nicely. Dropping one more almond log and I'll have 5-6hrs of stable 250°

Ribs. Baby backs, pulled the skin rubbed with sugar and salt and smoked four hour and twenty or so. A little less cause they were thinner than last time but they were still thick. Looked through freezer at store and got biggest, thickest rack. After I pulled them out, I brushed them with bbq sauce and wrapped them until dinner. One bite and nice pull from bone. Wonder if I should cook them down untilI I see even more bone. They were good.
Screenshot_2018-10-28-21-04-41.png
Screenshot_2018-10-28-21-05-05.png

Ribs. Baby backs, pulled the skin rubbed with sugar and salt and smoked four hour and twenty or so. A little less cause they were thinner than last time but they were still thick. Looked through freezer at store and got biggest, thickest rack. After I pulled them out, I brushed them with bbq sauce and wrapped them until dinner. One bite and nice pull from bone. Wonder if I should cook them down untilI I see even more bone. They were good.View attachment 595223View attachment 595224

Those look perfect to me. Much more and they would be "fall off the bone" which I am not a big fan of.

I was wanting to smoke but it's down in the 40s and snow is expected for Thurs and Friday.

Current freezer inventory is 2 BBs, 2 Spares and 2 St. Lou Cut slabs.

Here's a pic of those St. Louis Cut spares I did last month to 207F and a 30 min rest (wrapped in towels).

As previously stated, I pulled the bones and cut the ribs for burger buns.

(Untouched photo)

100_4362.JPG

I was wanting to smoke but it's down in the 40s and snow is expected for Thurs and Friday.

Current freezer inventory is 2 BBs, 2 Spares and 2 St. Lou Cut slabs.

Here's a pic of those St. Louis Cut spares I did last month to 207F and a 30 min rest (wrapped in towels).

As previously stated, I pulled the bones and cut the ribs for burger buns.

(Untouched photo)

View attachment 596693
Bet they tastwd great. I don't do ribs often but more of a meat off the bone person.

Bet they tastwd great. I don't do ribs often but more of a meat off the bone person.

I hear you, but butt and rib meat don't taste the same. I wanted to give a rib sandwich a try. They were pretty good too.

I cook up a couple extra butts at the end of summer to put away in the freezer for those days that are too cold to go play outside.

I hear you, but butt and rib meat don't taste the same. I wanted to give a rib sandwich a try. They were pretty good too.

I cook up a couple extra butts at the end of summer to put away in the freezer for those days that are too cold to go play outside.

I bet they were delicious. It may be the formed misc meat rib sandwich they tried to serve in school that drives my not so much, I know its not the same but I also grew up eating deer ribs, not much there and if you are not for gamy flavor than not for average eaters.

I bet they were delicious. It may be the formed misc meat rib sandwich they tried to serve in school that drives my not so much, I know its not the same but I also grew up eating deer ribs, not much there and if you are not for gamy flavor than not for average eaters.

I've never had a (McRib). I got the recipe from a one of the smoking forums I belong to. It sounded interesting so I gave it a try.

As I was near the end of eating this one I wondered if I could do 2 ribs the same way then interlock them bone side to bone side with the meat in a bone slot, like clicking Lego's together. LOL!

As for the other comments, I like chewing rib meat off the bones too.

I've only had venison a few times, mostly in sausage/jerky form, no ribs, so I can't really comment on it.

On the agenda for today—/75 lbs of brisket. My goal today is to kill the remaining bit of deception stout in the keezer and to kick the fire every hour. No honey do’s, no thinking about work, not answering the phone, just smoke some meat and savor some good brews. View attachment 597269View attachment 597270
Life doesn't get much better than that. Cheers!

I had two racks of spare ribs in the freezer I wanted to use and was looking for something a little different. Decided I wanted a fall inspired bbq meal so I searched around and came across this recipe:

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/09/21/the-perfect-fall-grilling-recipe-apple-pumpkin-ribs/

If you want something different give them a try -- they were delicious! I made a few minor tweaks and smoked with apple and peach. Server them with cabbage, apple, and celery slaw and also roasted acorn squash.20181117_new.jpg 37088.jpeg 37095.jpeg

Back