Who brings their homebrew to the pub with them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSeasonAngler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here?

I always assumed it would be frowned upon. Kind of like bringing your own food into a restaurant.

However, what if you brought it in to share? Give the bartender or other patrons the opportunity to sample?

*Disclaimer* This may not be legal in all locales.

I have not done so as yet, but I have been in the pub when another local home brewer came in with a few bottles to share. I don't know of the legality, but a good time was had by all, and I met some new home brewers and the bartenders were all about it.

i wouldn't unless it was asked WAY in advanced - last time a few friends brought some homebrew to trade (not drink) we got kicked out of the bar, even after explaining we were just swapping homebrews to drink later and not at that establishment.

However, 2 big homebrew shops in town have bars attached with their beers on tap, they welcome the idea... because it'll trigger them to head to the shop and learn about brewing... usually when my brewing buddies go into the bar area to do a planned share every few months, we bring 2-3 bottles of the same thing and we usually invite everyone in the bar over to have samples of each.
And of course we give the bar a "corking fee" just to be nice to the establishment.

Pretty sure it's illegal here, and would put the holder of the liquor license in jeopardy.

I've been to beer/wine-only establishments that let you bring your own hard liquor, and restaurants with no alcohol sales that allow BYOB, but I'm pretty sure at establishments with a full liquor license (at least here in Texas) bringing your own beer is verboten.

We've had people request to provide their own beer at private parties hosted at our establishments (restaurants with full bars), but our TABC officer told us no.

I've been to beer/wine-only establishments that let you bring your own hard liquor,

That is legal here in Oregon, but most places wont allow it... but the ones that do charge a hefty up-fee for any mixers and have to keep the bottle at the restaurant.

I've brought my beer to the local brewpub, the owner then always offers me a glass of his latest brew on tap.

I wouldn't do this anywhere else.

I know the owner of a bar here in town and often bring in some beers for him and the regulars to try. Here in PA it is up to the discretion of the owner. They can charge a "corkage" fee if they want

Somewhat common in SC to bring a growler of homebrew to share with the brewer/staff of a brewpub/micro-brewery. I do it nearly every time. The brewer scorns me if I don't bring any! :mug:

MC

Nice, I would have assumed the opposite! I think there's a lot of blind-eye-turning here, as well.

i havent been yet, but the homebrewing club here in Chicago has regular meetings at a bar, Fischman Liquors & Tavern, they're meeting tonight at 7 actually. the bar allows homebrew to be brought in as they set the club up with a private room (so i gather).

One additional note to add is that I think it really depends on your relationship with the owner/bartender (no matter the liquor laws). If you have a good relationship/friendship with them and let them know beforehand, I think 9 out of 10 times you will be good to go.

One additional note to add is that I think it really depends on your relationship with the owner/bartender (no matter the liquor laws). If you have a good relationship/friendship with them and let them know beforehand, I think 9 out of 10 times you will be good to go.

That's been my experience to date. If I really know the bartender or bar owner well, I've brought homebrew in for them to try or for my friends to try. I never got any push back when I offered it to them first. Besides, I always appreciate the tasting opinions of a bartender or owner of a really good beer bar, as they usually have a fairly refined palate as a consequence of their job.

Here in Utah depending on the establishment you can bring your own beer or wine. It must arrive unopened and the establishment must open it for you (after you have ordered food if its a restaurant) and the bottles have to stay in the restaurant. So if you bring wine but only drink half the bottle then you have to leave it there. The restaurant I worked at years ago charged $9.50 or something like that for a corking fee. We never had patrons bring beer but it was my understanding that they could but it would be $9.50 for each bottle opened. (Which is probably why no one ever did it.)

We do it all the time here at our local craft beer bar. Mind you, we limit what we bring and the owners are cool with it.

I've never even considered it. If I'm going to drink my beer, I'm going to do it in my chair with my TV. :shrug:

I have on occasion brought in a couple bottles of homebrew to my favorite beertenders at the bar down the street from my house. I am sure it is not legal/frowned on, but they are given for drinking when they get off shift and in no way are intended to cost the proprieters of the bar any losses. Sales losses and culpability are, in my opinion, why the practice is frowned upon. I do try to not be obvious about it either.

I know one of the local brewpubs that I frequent has been looking into doing a homebrew gathering a couple of times a year. It would basically be by volunteer only, everyone bring in some samples and everyone tastes. According to the brewmaster there, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to legally do here. For this reason, I've never brought anything in to the actual restaurant that I have brewed.

Our homebrew club meetings are hosted at local breweries around the city. We bring everything for our competitions and stuff to share.

Yes I do bring my homebrew to the pub. I get my homebrew ingredients from the pub and I like to bring a sample to the brewers. Also the bartender enjoys homebrew so I bring him 1 to take home. When I make a new batch I will bring some in and the bartender will get sample glasses and pass them around. Enjoyment for all!

I bring mine out to the hockey rink for my men's league games. Mostly in the locker room but I will go upstairs to the bar with a growler sometimes as well. I buttered the bartender with the occasionally bottle of mead or apfelwine. They have all been pretty responsive as long as we are still buying beers. Not clear in the legality though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back