Which Kveik Yeast for a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
From the reading I've done, it seems that people like voss or hornindal. I like a low flocculating yeast for my beers. I like all of my beers to be cloudy. I want to pick the Kveik that is most fruity and most cloudy.
Thanks guys

I don't have a Kveik strain to recommend. (Sorry, I don't like any of them honestly.)

You mentioned wanting a low flocculating yeast to make your NEIPA cloudy. But the haze in NEIPAs comes mainly from proteins, polyphenols, and hop compounds. John Paul Maye studied commercial East Coast and Hazy IPAs, and found no average difference in suspended yeast counts between them, i.e. suspended yeast is not a major cause of the haze. In fact, the most popular NEIPA yeast strain is probably Wyeast 1318, which is a fast flocculator.

I don't have a Kveik strain to recommend. (Sorry, I don't like any of them honestly.)

You mentioned wanting a low flocculating yeast to make your NEIPA cloudy. But the haze in NEIPAs comes mainly from proteins, polyphenols, and hop compounds. John Paul Maye studied commercial East Coast and Hazy IPAs, and found no average difference in suspended yeast counts between them, i.e. suspended yeast is not a major cause of the haze. In fact, the most popular NEIPA yeast strain is probably Wyeast 1318, which is a fast flocculator.
I can see how a person could take it that way but, I wasn't saying that I wanted a low flocculating yeast to MAKE it cloudy. I was just saying that I like all of my beers to be cloudy. I like a lot of suspended yeast in every one of my beers. I'm quite aware that yeast is not what gives the haze to a NEIPA, though.

Okay so a bit more.... I've used Voss 4-5 times and I was fascinated by the fact I could knock out a beer in a week... grain to glass... but balancing the attenuation and ABV is a pain. If you have temp control, I'd ferment it 82F or lower... I believe it tones down the tang. I'd also use hops that would blend with the tang to de-emphasize it.

I’ve used both Voss and Hornindal for my NEIPAs and personally prefer Hornindal for the flavor characteristics Hornindal throws off. I ferment at 95°F and have never had an issue with over attenuation. Granted I’m brewing sessionable NEIPAs.

Voss is my go to IPA yeast for all the right reasons. 1- I can have it on tap in less then 2 weeks,2- it always finishes at 1.010,and I like'em dry, 3- the beers seem to settle flavor wise in 4 weeks and stay that way until kicked,around 2 months. What's there not to like?
So I don't get any orange or tang and I think the reason is I chill the wort to cold break temps, pitch the standard amount for ales, pitch at 76* insulate it and let it take itself to 82-86* , when the temp starts to fall I turn on the controller to whatever temp it hit.
I do overbuild starters and the Hornindal's overbuild formed a SCOBY (not a pelical) so i made one beer with it and it was 12 days GtoG. Took it to Spike for a club brew day and most were surprised it was only 12 days old.

Voss is the only kveik strain I have used in this style. I used it on a handful of Hazy IPAs and Hazy Pale Ales. I think it is a great yeast for the style. I have generally gotten similar attenuation with Voss as I would with a yeast like a Chico/US-05 strain, but I have found that beers with Voss come across as more sweet to me. I think it might just be from the added "sweet orange" character.

I have not used Hornindal myself, but the descriptions sound like the flavors might blend in better with a mix of hops. Hornindal is said to have a bit more pineapple and tropical fruit, vs the orange and citrus of Voss.

Like was mentioned, many of the best NEIPA strains are very flocculant. I recall reading some speculation that low flocculant strains tend to pull out the hazy causing particles as the yeast settles out, where higher flocculating yeast will already be out of the way before the dry hop. There was also some studies by Omega about Haze Positive yeast (there was a more in-depth discussion on a podcast, but here is a quick blurb: Stable Haze). My hoppy beers with Voss tend to have a stable haze, but I recall making a starter with Voss once that had dropped crystal clear after 24 hours.

So I don't get any orange or tang and I think the reason is I chill the wort to cold break temps, pitch the standard amount for ales, pitch at 76* insulate it and let it take itself to 82-86* , when the temp starts to fall I turn on the controller to whatever temp it hit.
Interesting. This kinda goes with what I thought... the lower the temp, the less tang you get. May have to give this a try.

I have not used Hornindal myself, but the descriptions sound like the flavors might blend in better with a mix of hops. Hornindal is said to have a bit more pineapple and tropical fruit, vs the orange and citrus of Voss.
I haven't used Hornindal either, but I like that flavor profile more than the orange. I'll have to give it a try, but the description makes it sound better for juicy WCIPA "Compliments fruit-forward hops and is especially recommended for pairing with "C" hops". But would it make a good hazy?

Is there any particular reason you're invested in using Kviek? No temp control? Personally, I'd steer clear of any Kviek for NEIPAs. Every Kviek strain I've used has a weird twang to it. I've fermented Kviek both cool and hot. Same weird flavor.

Personally, I use Coastal Haze from White Labs. You can ferment from 68-72F, so there's a little wiggle room there.

Side note - the haze for a NEIPA comes from the interaction of the yeast, grain bill, and hops, not yeast in suspension.

I agree with the last 2 posts. If no temp control and that's your only option I guess I'd side with voss but I've used both and wont use either for a neipa again.

Edit: coastal haze is my go to as well for neipa.

I use Imperial Loki for my NEIPAs, fermented between 85-95°. It throws some lovely pineapple/citrusy esters when it's happy. I've also used the Lallemand Kveik, though I don't get so much fruity esters from it (others MMV).

If you are looking for more 'haze' in your NEIPA's, look more to your dry hopping schedule than the yeast. After several batches that were dry hopped at high krausen (and eventually wound up a lot clearer than I wanted) I started dropping the dry hop a day or two after krausen dropped; and only left it in for a max of three days. I've got a NEIPA on tap right now that was kegged two weeks ago, and is still super hazy. It's pictured below, and I might add that it's in a keg with a floating dip tube (meaning the beer is coming from the top of the keg, which should be clearer, but it isn't). My bootleg theory about this, is that if dry hopping is done when there is still a lot of yeast in suspension the hop oils will drop out with the yeast when the beer gets cold in the keg (or bottle). If dry hopping is done after krausen is down, the hop oils have less to bind to and will stay in suspension, thus causing that haze. I must also add that I dry hop commando (not in a mesh bag, just dump the hops right in the fermenter, which is why the floating dip tube as the standard dip tube kept getting clogged with hop goo).

*edit Also, this one had NO whirlfloc or irish moss in the boil, dunno if that has anything to do with the haziness, but since I didn't want this one to drop clear, might have.

*2nd edit this was kegged THREE weeks ago. Damn.

20230823_175134[1].jpg

Last edited:
Voss is my go to IPA yeast for all the right reasons. 1- I can have it on tap in less then 2 weeks,2- it always finishes at 1.010,and I like'em dry, 3- the beers seem to settle flavor wise in 4 weeks and stay that way until kicked,around 2 months. What's there not to like?
I do overbuild starters and the Hornindal's overbuild formed a SCOBY (not a pelical) so i made one beer with it and it was 12 days GtoG. Took it to Spike for a club brew day and most were surprised it was only 12 days old.
That, was a pretty damn good explanation for a newbie to Kveik!
Voss is the one that I chose but, I'm waiting on it to get here.

Last edited:
Maybe it's not actually a kveik, but Imperial's new Mangosteeni works at high temps and produces no wacky flavors in my single NEIPA experience with it. Maybe adds some of the claimed fruit notes. Kveik-like?

I use nothing but Voss for my NEIPA's. To me it's the perfect yeast and super easy for those without proper fermentation temp control.

I fill my 6 gallon Torpedo keg with wort (keg has a floating dip tube)
Pitch yeast & add my iSpindel
Seal it up
Place the keg in a 5 gallon bucket of water filled around 1/4 the way
Add a cheap fish tank heater that goes up to 94F, set to 94F
Fermentation finishes around 24-30 hours later
Dry hop & remove iSpindel, add co2, place in the kegerator
Begin drinking 3-4 days later

Damn, that's my go to for hazies.
Doesn't mean that you can't make a fine hazy with it though. Get all of your flavors from the hops and malt. I've used it in a hazy and it was very well received.

I've also used it as a chaser yeast in a philly sour ipa and for all my beers that ask for WLP001 in the recipe.

Okay so a bit more.... I've used Voss 4-5 times and I was fascinated by the fact I could knock out a beer in a week... grain to glass... but balancing the attenuation and ABV is a pain. If you have temp control, I'd ferment it 82F or lower... I believe it tones down the tang. I'd also use hops that would blend with the tang to de-emphasize it.
This is pretty much my take. Yes, you can mash at 70°C to minimise conversion, but it's still hard to balance the high attenuation with the residual sweetness you need in a NEIPA.

A lot will depend on what your target ABV is here. For ~6-6.5% NEIPAs I usually shoot for 1.015-1.018. For 8%+ beers I shoot for low 20s. Doing the latter on Kveik has (traditionally, for me at least) been a bit more controllable, whereas preventing over-attenuation in the former has been a pain for me.

My "favourite" Kveik for a NEPA is Ebbgarden, which pushes sweet orange and tropical fruit. But honestly these days most of my NEIPAs are fermented with Kolsch yeast, Verdant or WLP007 for "bigger" beers.

This is pretty much my take. Yes, you can mash at 70°C to minimise conversion, but it's still hard to balance the high attenuation with the residual sweetness you need in a NEIPA.

A lot will depend on what your target ABV is here. For ~6-6.5% NEIPAs I usually shoot for 1.015-1.018. For 8%+ beers I shoot for low 20s. Doing the latter on Kveik has (traditionally, for me at least) been a bit more controllable, whereas preventing over-attenuation in the former has been a pain for me.

My "favourite" Kveik for a NEPA is Ebbgarden, which pushes sweet orange and tropical fruit. But honestly these days most of my NEIPAs are fermented with Kolsch yeast, Verdant or WLP007 for "bigger" beers.
I love ebbegarden, but I use it for West Coast IPAs, I read, and agree with, that it can increase the perception of hop bitterness in beers.

I love ebbegarden, but I use it for West Coast IPAs, I read, and agree with, that it can increase the perception of hop bitterness in beers.
Good to hear. I have 2 packs of dry Ebbegarden (K.9 Ebbegarden | Kveik Yeastery). I had one beer of a friends that was fermented with Ebbegarden and it had a nice tropical fruit/pineapple vibe that I thought would work really well in a hoppy beer (the base was a Saison recipe).

I would agree- I don't use a bittering charge at all when I've used Ebbegarden.

Back