What's the difference between adding hops at flameout vs dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffondg

Reaction score
So I brewed a bitter recipe yesterday of my own design and I realized that I was 1 ounce short of fuggles that I planned on adding at flameout. I'm assuming I can just dry hop after visible signs of fermentation die down to get the same effect, or is there something I'm missing? I guess my question is: what's the difference between the two?

Thanks

They impart different things. The heat at flameout is going to pull out a lot of aromatic compounds and they won't be destroyed by the boil since you start chilling ASAP.

With dry hopping, you get a different kind of hop aroma and flavor than when boiling.

Nothing wrong with your plan, and you'd then experience the taste of a dry hopped beer.

Cool, good to know. Maybe this will be a "happy accident" as Bob Ross used to say...

One other thing I've noticed - dry hopping tends to permanently add a haze to my beers - I don't think I get that effect from late additions or flame-out additions.

I recently dry hopped an extra special bitter (much like you'll be doing) and it has that dry hop haze. It tastes great, but not ruby red & clear like I would expect from the style.

It is actually nice to drink an ESB that is hoppy/bitter. I've had a bunch of Redhook ESB lately, and its relatively sweet & not very bitter IMO. I remember when that beer was the heaviest, hoppiest thing I'd ever tasted back in the early 90's. Either they've changed, my taste has changed or some combination of the two.

Interesting! I brewed some bitter last week. I was in the garage and suddenly noticed my hops measured out in a bowl. I had forgotten to add the last addition! I dry hopped them 1 week into fermentation. I'm not worried about it though. It will turn out fine, just different.

Inspired by that mistake I have just added my late addition hops in todays brew into the fermenters at yeast pitching time (bitter again).

Mistakes often lead to succes and inspiration.

It is actually nice to drink an ESB that is hoppy/bitter. I've had a bunch of Redhook ESB lately, and its relatively sweet & not very bitter IMO. I remember when that beer was the heaviest, hoppiest thing I'd ever tasted back in the early 90's. Either they've changed, my taste has changed or some combination of the two.

Agreed, I think they have done something to it. Not at all like I remember it. Do you remember their Ballard Bitter? I think it was the original hop bomb. They kept screwing with the recipe until it was just another IPA. I think it became Long Hammer eventually, a faint shadow of its former bitter glory.

Back