What went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtx

Reaction score
Something went wrong with the fermentation process of my most recent batch. So about two days after I pitched the yeast, my airlock blew off from such a vigorous fermentation. I attached a blow off tube and it seemed to ferment well as time went on. I checked the gravity about 7 days after brew day, it was a few points off but it the finished beer section. I assumed give it a while more and then rack to secondary. When I went to check FG agian and it read close to 1 (Above the finished beer margin and way off from my intended FG of 1.012). It also tasted very sweet, obviously it did not ferment well or got infected or something. What went wrong? I just want to know what I did wrong so I don't ruin another batch. Thanks.

A little more info could help us find the root of your problem
If it tastes sweet I'm not sure its an infection, more likely a stuck ferment. Bacteria like to eat sugars too
What was the starting gravity?
Did you aerate prior to pitching?
What type of yeast did you use? Did you make a starter?
What was the exact gravity reading the last time you took it, when you said it was close to 1?
Have many days elapsed between that reading and the reading at 7 days?
Have you calibrated your hydrometer?
What temperature has it been fermenting at?

Edit; thought of another potential cause, in the event you still have not checked back in. Crystal malts add sweetness because they contain a great deal of unfermentable sugars. If you posted your recipe we might be able to see if you just went a little overboard on crystal

Latest posts

Back