Lack of flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlbrewdevil

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer several weeks ago. It did not turn out as expected. It is drinkable, but I had 14 oz of hops (2 oz of Galaxy in the boil, then 2 each or Galaxy, Nelson, and Idaho 7 at hopstand and post fermentation dry hop). The beer tastes like a blonde ale. No perceivable off flavors, but nothing like what I was shooting for. My grain bill was 5 lbs each of two-row and German pilsner malt, plus a pound each of flaked oats and flakes wheat. Any thoughts on what went wrong?

I brewed my first beer several weeks ago. It did not turn out as expected. It is drinkable, but I had 14 oz of hops (2 oz of Galaxy in the boil, then 2 each or Galaxy, Nelson, and Idaho 7 at hopstand and post fermentation dry hop). The beer tastes like a blonde ale. No perceivable off flavors, but nothing like what I was shooting for. My grain bill was 5 lbs each of two-row and German pilsner malt, plus a pound each of flaked oats and flakes wheat. Any thoughts on what went wrong?
Hi and welcome. You didn’t mention what style of beer you were making but if it was a NEIPA or some other hop intensive style, be aware that those are considered some of the most challenging to do well and generally require careful control of a number of variables particularly cold side oxygen. Please tell us a little more about the batch you brewed like your gravity readings and yeast selection. There is a lot of information here on how to improve efforts to brew NEIPA if thats what you were trying to do and want to try it again and if you want some tips on how to add a little more flavor and aroma to your existing batch that’s possible too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back