What to do with WLP530

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterClean

Reaction score
So I've decided to make a Leffe Brune clone, since it's so dang hard to get here in the states (and really really good). So I ordered the AHS clone AG kit. It came with WLP530. This is my first beligan anything, so I have ben doing some research on this yeast. I have read several ferm temp threads about WLP530, but they seem to be about dubbels and tripels, and on top of that, give wildly conflicting information (ie only low 70s, start at 70 and let it warm up to 85, 65-72 is right, etc etc) The Brune is more of a Belgian Dark Ale, and I'm not sure if any of this would be correct for the style.

So I need some help trying to figure out a ferm schedule for this yeast. Does anyone have any experience using it for a belgian dark ale, or this particular recipe?

I do have a ferm chamber in my garage, and my house stays a constant 70, while the garage the ferm chamber is in stays a balmy 80-90+ (summertime in Texas). I don't have a heating pad, but I'm sure I can work something out between the ferm chamber and the garage if I need higher temps, like some people use with the tripels.

If I'm not mistaken, Leffe Brune is considered an abbey dubbel. I'm in the middle of fermenting a dubbel with WLP530. I pitched and started it at 64*F. Each day, I've adjusted the setting on my STC-1000 to let it rise (on its own, no heat pad needed) 2*F until I got to 73*F today. I'm going to keep it around 73-74*F until finished.

BTW- ready a blow-off tube. I stepped up a 1.6L starter (cold crashed and decanted), put 5.1 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gallon fermenter bucket. It filled all of that headspace and started pushing krausen up through the airlock at 30 hours into the ferment. Luckily, I caught it just before it pushed out the top of the airlock. WLP530 is a beast.

Thanks, i guess I'll give your schedule a shot. I was just worried, because I see alot of people saying theirs sticks at 1.030 with the wlp530

Thanks, i guess I'll give your schedule a shot. I was just worried, because I see alot of people saying theirs sticks at 1.030 with the wlp530

530 can be one of the more finicky belgian strains (sometimes drops out with any temp dip), but i've never had any issues with it. all of those different schedules will produce something different, its kinda figuring out what works best for you. http://www.whitelabs.com/files/belgianchart_0.pdf

I usually pitch @ 64-68F and let it take off on its own into the 70s after 24 hours

also, 530 is great in BDSAs (westy 12)

I checked gravity a few hours ago. At 5 days, it's down to 1.018 (OG of 1.060) and still pushing CO2.

Latest posts

Back