Which yeast do St. Feuillien use in their beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
I was in a supermarket in the Netherlands last week looking through the selection of Belgian beers and saw two beers from St. Feuillien which were, according to the information on the bottles, bottle conditioned and unfiltered.
I had a look and there was indeed a lot of yeast in each bottle so I got the idea to harvest some.

The beers in question were the Saison and Grand Cru.
I have already successfully harvested the Grand Cru yeast; using the dregs from 3 bottles I had activity after 2 days and now after 4 days a nice thick layer at the bottom of a glass jar.

Anyway my question is if anyone knows what yeast they use for the Grand Cru and Saison?
I have seen clone recipies for their Triple and it should be the Westmalle strain like WLP530.
I guess they use the same for their Grand Cru?

I haven't tried the Saison yet but read on here it is quite sweet for a Saison; is that related to the yeast or their grain bill/mash schedule?
Maybe they are also using WLP530 for that which has a high attenuation but not to the levels of a traditional Saison yeast.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks 🙏

Anyway my question is if anyone knows what yeast they use for the Grand Cru and Saison?
I have seen clone recipies for their Triple and it should be the Westmalle strain like WLP530.
Most breweries like that don't buy in their yeast, they have their own in-house (multi?) strain.

The question you should be asking is more - do they bottle with the house strain or a bottling strain? To which I don't know, may be worth a bit of digging on t'internet.

Most use bottle yeast these days, a clue is if the yeast sticks to the bottom of the bottle, but to be sure you have to create a starter with wort and see if it ferments all the way.

Thanks for the replies.
I looked here and found this, if it can be believed.

https://www.beertourism.com/blogs/belgian-beer/st-feuillien-grand-cru
1692109553482.png

I do tend to believe it as it wasn't compact at all in the bottles and the wort I harvested in tastes .. well Belgian.
Now I just need to dig a bit deeper and find out if they use the same strain for both beers, then I won't bother trying to harvest the saison yeast.

They say its there own proprietary yeast, so i think you gonna have to grow it up from a bottle.

Its not that hard, just start by leaving 1cm in a bottle, and then just add 150ml of apple-juice to it, straight in the bottle, shake it and cover with alu foil, if it takes of just make bigger starter with it using wort.

W
They say its there own proprietary yeast, so i think you gonna have to grow it up from a bottle.

Its not that hard, just start by leaving 1cm in a bottle, and then just add 150ml of apple-juice to it, straight in the bottle, shake it and cover with alu foil, if it takes of just make bigger starter with it using wort.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, I already did something similar last week but took the dregs from 3 bottles of grand cru and after about 36 hours already had some activity. 6 days later I'd say I have enough to step up to a big starter but I won't be brewing for a month or more so I put it in the fridge and will reactivate it when the time comes.

Just getting back to this for anyone who's interested.
Last week I stepped up the yeast I harvested from the bottles.
It was sitting over six months in my fridge but I saw some activity after the first day.
The wort I decanted off tasted very promising eventhough it was only 10% w/v DME.
Reminded me of a Patersbier I once brewed so I do think the yeast is or is closely related to WLP530/WY3787.

Anyway I brewed a simple Triple with it last weekend and it's chugging along nicely.
84% Belgian Plisner malt, 14.5% Table Sugar, 1.5% Abbey malt.
I'll report back when it has reach FG but it probably needs to be aged until the middle of the summer to reach its peak.
The time of year I like drinking Triples most with thick Belgian fries and chili mayo :mug:

Latest posts

Back