What the Carboy?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
So I racked two beers today to kegs and went to clean them later I. The day. I was out back using my drill and cleaning attachment and brush. I'm the middle of getting some Krausen off the top of carboys (my newest), a baseball sized chunk of glass broke out. Just fell down the side.... It's the kind of carboy with the ribs in the glass if that makes any sense. I picked it up by the neck to take it to the trash can and about halfway there, the entire bottom just sheared off. I've never had this happen nor heard of it.

Just a reminder that even when you are being careful with glass, accidents can still happen

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The carboy cleaner attachment that goes in the drill has felt like material that whisks the sides and in no way has near the force to break glass

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403050821.159539.jpg
Something similar to this

I usually let it soak with PBW but I just wanted to get everything cleaned while I had all my stuff out. Lesson learned

remember: not all carboys are created equal. even though I don't feel this way, I'm gonna get the jump on all the glass haters: "why are you using glass? use plastic. it's a billion times better. I ferment exclusively in buckets because they are the absolute best for everything. if you use glass, you're stupid."

Nice one, Billy.

Nothing against glass, but I'm glad my carboy is one of the OLD ones. Seems to be there are plenty of people who are finding the newer one breaking for no good reason.

I've been using buckets for a while, but I am liking the newer Big Mouth Bubblers. I have a plastic secondary. Still waiting to see how the glass ones will hold up.

The carboy cleaner attachment that goes in the drill has felt like material that whisks the sides and in no way has near the force to break glass

And inside the felt material are weights on the ends so the ends fly out when spun.

Apparently they DO have the force to break glass.

Just a thought: Older, stronger glass = deeper more serious lacerations when you finally get unlucky!

Maybe. That's why I only carry it around in the milk crate or by the brewhauler straps.

For most of my needs plastic works just fine. Once in a while I need to age something for more than 2-3 weeks.

And inside the felt material are weights on the ends so the ends fly out when spun.

Apparently they DO have the force to break glass.

Mine was similar, but not the same as the picture I referenced. Mine does not have weights in it. The soft material a lot does not have the force to break glass.

And even if it did, something was already wrong with the whole carboy because the whole bottom sheared off after the fact while taking it to the trash can.

I think they are being made at a lower than optimal standard, hence other people similar experiences lately

Glass carboys can be weakened by thermal shocks. Make sure your wort is cooled before putting in the carboy. With plastic carboys it is a good idea still since I have seen pictures of Better Bottle Shrinkeydinks. I agree though, be careful regardless of what you use. There have been many pictures posted of nasty injuries gained while brewing.

remember: not all carboys are created equal. even though I don't feel this way, I'm gonna get the jump on all the glass haters: "why are you using glass? use plastic. it's a billion times better. I ferment exclusively in buckets because they are the absolute best for everything. if you use glass, you're stupid."

Maybe those of us who still prefer glass are just smart and secure enough to confidently handle something as deadly as a big glass bottle!

I prefer glass, and I am confident that I am more intelligent than those that make such generalizations.

I've been using glass carboys for years, I've also been using the same carboy cleaner with the glass carboys without any issues, that said, maybe I'm just lucky, but to be perfectly honest, the only time that I've seen or heard of carboys cracking was when the cheap Chinese carboys were being used. I make certain that mine are all Italian or Mexican made, and even with that, 2 Chinese carboys slipped through the cracks.
Be careful to get the Italian carboys, I don't believe the Mexican carboys are being made anymore. If there isn't any indication on the bottom of the carboy, you can almost bet that they are the cheap Chinese kind.

I soak for 24 hours and then use my carboy brush as vigorously as I can. Never had a safety issue, but I respect that glass can be dangerous. Cross my fingers... I've not had an incident yet!

I'm just curious if those of you who choose use plastic fermenters solely on the fear of broken glass, and do not keg, still use glass bottles or utilize PET bottles.

I've been using my mark 2 keg and carboy washer to clean my better bottles. I just set it on there and let it run for a while then rinse. Works like a charm. I sold my glass fermenter because I have 2 kids under 5 and couldn't forgive myself if anything happened to them due to a broken glass carboy. They get a little too curious sometimes.

I've got 2 of these centrifugal cleaners and neither has any weights in them. The one I use the most is the one I made and can either attach large Dobie pads or Scotchbrite material (buy in a roll) followed by a PBW then Starsan wash.
I was given a few carboys that the previous owner couldn't get some staining out of the glass. Using horticultural vinegar (20%) as a wash daily, the glass was sparkling in 3 days.

I agree with the 'no drill your carboy' crowd. I've been using the same carboys for 12-13 years. Haven't broke one yet. If they get gunked up? Fill them with WARM water and a little dawn and scrub them down with a carboy brush after a 24 hour soak. If you can't clean it using that method, you're doing something wrong.

No reason to stick anything attached to a powerdrill inside of your carboy.

I'm just curious if those of you who choose use plastic fermenters solely on the fear of broken glass, and do not keg, still use glass bottles or utilize PET bottles.

Good question. I use glass carboys and am very careful carrying them around in sturdy milk crates. I recently used bomber glass bottles and had 2 explode on me after 3+ months in the bottle. I am switching back to my quart sized PETs. Those bottles scare me a lot more than the carboys, where I have a bit more control.

So I racked two beers today to kegs and went to clean them later I. The day. I was out back using my drill and cleaning attachment and brush. I'm the middle of getting some Krausen off the top of carboys (my newest), a baseball sized chunk of glass broke out. Just fell down the side.... It's the kind of carboy with the ribs in the glass if that makes any sense. I picked it up by the neck to take it to the trash can and about halfway there, the entire bottom just sheared off. I've never had this happen nor heard of it.

Just a reminder that even when you are being careful with glass, accidents can still happen

Here's one that broke while brushing, and another one that broke while using a metal drill-attached aerator (NOT recommended!). These, and many other stories, are from here. Be careful with glass carboys.

broken_zps871b5b14.jpg

135315d1373921251-broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium-100_2518.jpg

My memory may not be so good, but both of those carboys appear to be made from considerably thinner glass than the old school water cooler bottles that I remember.

The Chinese carboys strike again. There must be something wrong with the formulation of the glass that they use. Water-cooler delivery companies used glass carboys for decades, and the delivery men and customers somehow survived. It would be interesting to see what a lab analysis of the Chinese glass revealed.

There is a huge difference between a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and a 12 ounce beer bottle.

I have dropped beer bottles from counter height and had them bounce! That was on a vinyl floor though.

If you make sure you have final gravity, sanitize well, and prime correctly, there is little chance of bottle bombs.

I'll bottle in glass but I only use plastic fermentors these days. If we scaled the wall thickness of a 12oz bottle up to a 6.5G carboy, the glass of the carboy would be upwards of 6 inches thick.

The Chinese carboys strike again. There must be something wrong with the formulation of the glass that they use. Water-cooler delivery companies used glass carboys for decades, and the delivery men and customers somehow survived. It would be interesting to see what a lab analysis of the Chinese glass revealed.

In those times laborers were considered mostly expendable while no-one kept track of casualties and OSHA wasn't conceived yet.

But given the way they were used, handled, and transported, I have no doubt the carboys of that time were much stronger and much more durable than the junk coming out of China these days. Most of that junk is disposable without much of a consequence, but glass carboys take their toll.

There is a responsibility issue here, and I am sure we haven't seen the end of that yet. They'll be on TV soon, in SD ads, such as "Were you injured...?"

AMENDED: Oh wait, that will be quite a few years from now as those who advertise like to rack up the potential claims loot. They're not into prevention, since there's nothing to be gained for them.

Back