Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foragedbrews

Reaction score
I've tried wrangling wild yeast a few times, with no success. One time nothing, not even mould. Anyway this time I used a couple blackberries and a crabapple. Success!
IMG_20230718_072423.jpg
The wort had a 1.043 OG and ended (at least short term) on 1.010, so a minimum respectable (for an English ale, and a wild yeast) 4.3%. I added enough hops to just create a smidgen of IBU. I wasn't interested in lacto bacteria right now, although Pediococcus might come through later. I'm really wanting to get a yeast.
IMG_20230722_170250.jpg
The wort I used was not great material, but the culture did a fair job in making it palatable. It's a characterful yeast as it created what I perceived as banana and my partner thought pear, so clearly iso-amylacetate. But there was also a fruitiness. I really think this will go well with a wheat beer. There was also a little funkiness which I was hoping for, so I'm happy for that, but what really surprised me was the colour. This is just a single base malt and yet it has created something the colour of orange juice! There was fruit hanging in this wort for a week so I knew this would skew things. As such I chilled it to drop it out clearer, poured it off and gave a new batch of wort.
IMG_20230723_094115.jpg
What was interesting was how the krausen had stages. First there was a little foam, then there was a thick brown krausen with patches of clean white bubbles, then that dropped out and what followed was a layer of very clean foam. Unfortunately I don't have photos, I thought I had done that. Annoying.
IMG_20230724_181039.jpg
What resulted was a less hazy beer, and more typically "beer" coloured. It was pleasant, funky. This one only one glass worth's with no conditioning and warm soon after finishing main fermentation so not a fair representation of its potential. So, I propped up the yeast with enough for two gallons, pitching one gallon's worth and leaving the rest to use again. I have no idea if I over or under pitched because boy, did it start! This was less than twelve hours after pitching.
IMG_20230813_184735.jpg
I took that photo about two hours ago. The krausen is now nearly filling the head space. I may have to do the old dip tube job!

Because this is a wild culture, I don't know what's in it (I intend to isolate the strains one day) and so I don't know it's true final gravity. Sure, there might be Saccharomyces or Brettanomyces doing most of the work up front, but maybe I'll see something happen long term, Brett or Pediococcus or something different altogether ferment out the rest over the next few months. I'm not concerned about this beer being "drinkable" as I will be using it to take gravity samples in monthly checks. I realise this will oxidise it but the goal here is to produce enough that I can take plenty of gravity readings, rather than produce a packagable beer.

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_181039.jpg
    IMG_20230724_181039.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230813_184735.jpg
    IMG_20230813_184735.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
A very thorough and interesting report, thanks!
I've got a kit to capture wild yeast, but haven't yet. My only recent (intentional) venture was fermenting cider. I bought two gallons from different orchards and split it into three batches. Part of each got commercial beer yeast. The rest was combined and allowed to ferment spontaneously, which it did pretty quickly. All version were drinkable, the wild one noticeably tart. I pasteurized them all, partly because I carbonated and back sweetened with juice.

Nice!

I've done the same. Crapshoot on just leaving it outside, but once I used wild fruit it took off like crazy and the yeast was actually very good. I should have kept isolating it I suppose, after that first ferment, but I was just wanting to see if I could. I could.

And now you can!

I've got a kit to capture wild yeast, but haven't yet. My only recent (intentional) venture was fermenting cider. I bought two gallons from different orchards and split it into three batches. Part of each got commercial beer yeast. The rest was combined and allowed to ferment spontaneously, which it did pretty quickly. All version were drinkable, the wild one noticeably tart. I pasteurized them all, partly because I carbonated and back sweetened with juice.
have done wild batches of cider and tried to build up a starter from bottled dredges with barley wort; i failed on the attempt and did not propagate a viable yeast starter. then again was not to adamant of actually achieving the goal more of a side experiment that went to the wayside.

Annoyingly I forgot to get the OG for this! I don't think I diluted it and so I think it might be 1.080, which is how I made a large batch to be split. Whoops. Refractometer on the way... I need to get one any way. Hate waiting for wort samples to cool.
have done wild batches of cider and tried to build up a starter from bottled dredges with barley wort; i failed on the attempt and did not propagate a viable yeast starter. then again was not to adamant of actually achieving the goal more of a side experiment that went to the wayside.
From what I understand it's because a lot of wild yeast just can't metabolise maltose, which is why a basic sugar solution is no good for catching wild cultures as it tells you nothing about its ability to ferment wort. If you're using apple yeast, good chance it's only good for cider!
Thank you! Yes I imagine it would end up with lactic acid bacteria creating more tartness. I do like em sharp, more refreshing! I don't like funkiness in cider, it's usually associated with being flat and I find it very heavy.
Nice!

I've done the same. Crapshoot on just leaving it outside, but once I used wild fruit it took off like crazy and the yeast was actually very good. I should have kept isolating it I suppose, after that first ferment, but I was just wanting to see if I could. I could.

And now you can!
Think you'll go again? These blackberries I used were ridiculously fruitful. I'll be taking a cutting to turn into shoots with rooting compound.

I definitely will do it again. Especially now that I am in cooler weather. I have some fruit trees, nut trees, all kinds of flowers, and I can always drag a carboy of wort to a nearby orchard or berry patch and catch something in the wind.

My dream is to be able to afford a farm where I grow what we need, sell the rest, and have a coolship up in the barrel barn. We can always dream!

I definitely will do it again. Especially now that I am in cooler weather. I have some fruit trees, nut trees, all kinds of flowers, and I can always drag a carboy of wort to a nearby orchard or berry patch and catch something in the wind.

My dream is to be able to afford a farm where I grow what we need, sell the rest, and have a coolship up in the barrel barn. We can always dream!
My long term plan is to have an arable farm specifically for growing grains and hops with an on site maltings, a real farmhouse brewery. Virtually non existent in the UK!

I like your plan, it aligns with mine! Didn't that used to more prevalent over there? It seems like villages would have some public house that was tied to a farm brewery...maybe I'm confusing you guys with the Belgians?

I would like a ton of land that I could do that on, but I think brewing ingredients would be the least of my concerns. I'd probably grow my own hops and adjuncts/fruit/vegetables, but not the base raw ingredients. I just wouldn't have the time. Though I would love to be able to do it all, I just have way too many hobbies to pick up malting as well. Though, I am one to never say never.

I propose we make a deal; whomever of us shall achieve our dream first invites the other over for a free drink!

I like your plan, it aligns with mine! Didn't that used to more prevalent over there? It seems like villages would have some public house that was tied to a farm brewery...maybe I'm confusing you guys with the Belgians?

I would like a ton of land that I could do that on, but I think brewing ingredients would be the least of my concerns. I'd probably grow my own hops and adjuncts/fruit/vegetables, but not the base raw ingredients. I just wouldn't have the time. Though I would love to be able to do it all, I just have way too many hobbies to pick up malting as well. Though, I am one to never say never.

I propose we make a deal; whomever of us shall achieve our dream first invites the other over for a free drink!
I think for the most part, people were brewing for their own households and workers. Alehouses came a lot later and pushed them out with scale of economy and benefits on duties, from what I understand, but I'm no expert.

Sounds like a deal! If nothing else, at least the hops, if not the malt too!

I got my rhizomes in the other day...

And yes, the household brewing is what I was referencing. Seems like it died out when we industrialized everything. Good ol' progress...

Annoyingly I forgot to get the OG for this! I don't think I diluted it and so I think it might be 1.080, which is how I made a large batch to be split. Whoops. Refractometer on the way... I need to get one any way. Hate waiting for wort samples to cool.

From what I understand it's because a lot of wild yeast just can't metabolise maltose, which is why a basic sugar solution is no good for catching wild cultures as it tells you nothing about its ability to ferment wort. If you're using apple yeast, good chance it's only good for cider!

Thank you! Yes I imagine it would end up with lactic acid bacteria creating more tartness. I do like em sharp, more refreshing! I don't like funkiness in cider, it's usually associated with being flat and I find it very heavy.

Think you'll go again? These blackberries I used were ridiculously fruitful. I'll be taking a cutting to turn into shoots with rooting compound.
I recently took on a similar project. Wild yeast captureD from some organic raspberries and a persimmon. Cultured them separately and froze a tube of each for the future. For the current beer, I combined them in the carboy. Like yours, mine is fermenting vigorously just hours later. The goal is a solera, so I won’t bottle anything until late spring at the earliest.

My trouble is: should I pasteurize at bottling? Bit yeasts smell clean and fruity with none of the spoilage smells noted. I waited about three weeks after initial collection to step up to starters, so any dangerous bugs should be on the downhill if present at all. Thoughts?

Back