What kinda Beer did a make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkubuzz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, im pretty new at this forum, but not new to brewing (im also not near close to a advanced in brewing, but ive done some pretty good beers already)

The thing is, at first I always did all-grain kits (first 5 batches maybe) and then I started to make my own recepies... but I dont know what "style" of beer they where...

If i give you my recepie, would you be able to tell me if it is this or that beer style?

On the other hand, I think the underlying question is:

What kind of character gives me each grain I use, each hop I use and the yeast I use....

Well this is for a longer thread maybe, o re maybe there is a document somehwere where I can see the characteristics of each grain, hop and yeast.

Heres the last recepie I made for a 5 gallon batch!(I actaully mede it in kg. Os thats why the weird numbers):

8% Malted Wheat 1,1020 lbs
12% Carared 18°L 1,6530 lbs
8% Smoked Malt 1,1020 lbs
12% Melanoiden Malt 1,6530 lbs
62% Pilsen Malt 8,8160 lbs

For 70 mins at 67°C (156,2°F)

60 minute Boil:
At-Boil Saaz 0,700 oz
At 45 mins Perle 0,700 oz
At 45 mins Candi Sugar 3,5 oz
At 59 mins Hallertau 0,700 oz

OG: 1.068

And Im fermenting it with SAFALE S-04 and expect to go 1.015 final gravity

I got the BCJP guide to beer styles, but how could I know what grains do each beer use to know what beer im making :confused:

Frankenbier. That is a butt-ton of melanoiden malt (most recipes I see call for 2-4 oz.). It'll definitely be a malt forward beer (not a lot of balancing hops) with a ton of mouthfeel mashing at 156 and using an English yeast. Maybe a toasted old ale (with exception of the smoked malt).

Back