What kind of tie knot do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of knot do you use on your necktie?

• Windsor

• Half-Windsor

• Small Knot

• Four-in-a-hand

• Prince Albert

• Bow Tie

• CLIP ON!

• No tie! I'm no slave to the man.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I cannot remember the last time I wore a tie, except as part of a costume. I do remember, in 1993, being asked by DHL if I had a problem wearing a suit to work. This was for a sys admin job. I think my reply was something like, "Snort".

I always use the four in hand, it usually produces a nice dimple if I manage to get it straight. I work in an elementary school, and I'm the only guy who wears a tie besides the principal.

I am horrible with knots, so I think the closest I do to the tie tying thing is the half Windsor. I think. I didn't see an option for 'retarded tie'.

Pratt / Shelby the perfectly balanced knot. With a dimple, if you don't have a dimple you are nothing. Four in Hand if not an office/formal event.. And I reiterate if don't have a dimple you are nothing... sorry if i offended anyone but still without a dimple you are nothing.. :)

It depends for me. Since I'm 6'5" and most of my height is in my torso, it's hard to find ties that are long enough ("tall" ties are extremely limited in selection). If I can find a long enough tie, I do like the look and class of the Windsor knot, especially with a collar bar underneath.

However, given that lots of my ties aren't long enough, I do tie the Shelby and half-Windsor too. Most of the time, I end up needing a tie pin, since the tail is often too short to meet the tab.

[rant]When the hell are dress shirt manufacturers going to start making something other than white, navy, and black variations in tall sizes? 17.5X37 tall shouldn't be that hard to find![/rant]

Back