What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought I would post on this thread, but today I witnessed a "living will" for a man and wife today - and to show their appreciation, they bought me a pint of beer.

The beer of choice was Miner's Gold Hefeweizen, from Lewis and Clark Brewery in Helena, Montana:

http://lewisandclarkbrewing.com/beer/miners-gold-hefeweizen/

ALL-Cans-Mockup3_500x350_acf_cropped.png

I've had it before - it is "ok" out of the can, but very good off the tap! :mug:

Scratched my shiny gear acquisition syndrome by purchasing the FTSS kit for my Chronical (en route from Cali) and an Infussion mash tun. Necessary? Hell no. Shiny? Hell yes!

Today and yesterday... brewed a Dunkelweisen with my first step mash, kegged a Belgian dark strong & Doppelbock and racked an imperial stout from barrel to carboy for some aging.

Fabbed a stand for my 50 gal boil Kettle, installed the chugger pump and started plumbing the the pump counter flow chiller and kettle nozzles.

I inoculated some fresh slants with cultures I grew from yeast on year-old slants (001, 002, 1007, 1214, and 3711). Now we'll see if anything grows. If so, then I will have been keeping the same cultures alive for three years.

Checked out a new homebrew section of a local hardware store. Grabbed a bag of Briess 2 row for $38 so a little higher than Northern Brewer but no shipping so I saved about $15. Grabbed 4 packs of Nottingham Ale yeast and 4 bags of bottle caps too. Prices on those were the same as NB. They mostly carry extract kits from Brewers Best, had 2 all grain kits. Semi decent selection of specialty malts in 1 pound bags and that won't same me any money, I typically buy then 25 pounds at a time.

Sipped on my new Cascade, Vic Secret and Mosaic IPA while working on a recipe to be brewed in two weeks while watching a review a buddy did on one of my homebrew (He has a beer review channel on Youtube). Multi-tasking!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWa2vXqLWWA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I broke my and my wife's Cheri today and we had our first brew! We brewed a black IPA extract. Things went well. I will try a hop ball next time had a lot of trub when we transferred wort to fermentor. Beer smelled wonderful only had one small boil over but we caught it.

Brewed a 6g AG batch of my OAB House IPA with my daughter.
Cleaned up dry hop tubes from kegging my Columbus DIPA.
Moved my Beer Engine ESB to secondary.

Moved my Rye IPA into the house from the garage since we're having an unseasonable (for the third time this year) cold spell. Yes I know it's Winter but we've been having some weird weather here in WeWA. Brewed it on Saturday and nothing was happening. About 4 hours after moving it started chuggin along.

I *think* I found the leak in the CO2 system of my kegerator...wasn't the new line from the external CO2 tank, or any of the new connections to the distributor or secondary regulator, or even the lines to the kegs...it appears to have been one of the damn pressure release valves on the lid of one of my corneys!

Hopefully won't lose another whole 20 pounder of CO2 this time around!

I ramped up my temp for the d-rest of my wee heavy to 68°. This is day 9 and the krausen was receding.

Woke up tbis am to bigger, thicker and richer krausen than yesterday!! I must have woken up the yeasties via temp change because I didn't agitate the primary at all.

Woo hoo!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489027080.171420.jpg

Went out to pick this fridge up during a bad wind storm (81 MPH wind gusts). What was supposed to be a 40 min drive took twice as long b/c of downed trees, power lines and lights being out. It's crazy how many people forget to treat an intersection with an non-working light as a four way stop! Thankfully the trip home went smoother.

This is what happens when you work from home and haven't watched the news or checked it all day. Plus the winds were not as bad my way as it was were the fridge was located.

Now I need to reorganize the garage to make room for it. My old kegerator was a mini fridge that fit under my work bench. This one doesn't.

After three false starts this week I brewed a Pacific Ale™ tonight using Simcoe as everyone is out of Galaxy.

Tried out my cheap ali express mill for the first time and got it dialled in.

Drank a bunch! Shoulder is aching with these rapid weather changes and brewing is off the list until the pain settles!

Similar situation but my low back got tweaked this past week. I am enlisting some muscle to help with my heavy lifting as I am bottling my Westvleteren 12 clone today.

Time to see who my true friends are...! Lol

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489264440.278182.jpg

Picked up two ball lock kegs, wood and paint today. My old kegerator died so I'm in the process of replacing it with a full size fridge. The wood is for the support shelves, paint to repaint the old fridge and well the kegs since it can hold more than my old kegerator (which was a mini fridge).

Bottled my Weizenbock today after de-labeling and fully sanitizing a ton of commercial bottles I've collected. Got a full 50 bottles of it though!

Ordered 6 pin lock kegs from Keg Connection(on sale!), and it is wash bottles day my least favorite chore! Hence the keg order. Now I need to decide what fridge is going to be used for the kegs...

Washed two cases of bottles yesterday, bought three bags of crown caps in different colors as well as a duct fan, some duct and other parts to ghettofab a cooker hood to the garage roof over my boiling spot.

Built a shelf for the fridge that will be my kegerator or kegerator/fermentation chamber. Then cleaned two corny kegs I just picked up so I can replace the o-rings later tonight.

Oh did I mention this was all outside in my garage and driveway in 20 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chills in the single digits. When will spring be here!?!?!? Haha

I had to replace the air lock with a blow-off tube on my porter that is in the first day of fermentaton. Luckily I noticed the blockage before it blew out and made a mess.

Oh did I mention this was all outside in my garage and driveway in 20 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chills in the single digits. When will spring be here!?!?!? Haha

I hung out in 30 degrees for 2 hrs providing moral support, and some 8% homebrew, with 2 fellow homebrewers yesterday. Thank goodness the garage blocked the wind!

I hung out in 30 degrees for 2 hrs providing moral support, and some 8% homebrew, with 2 fellow homebrewers yesterday. Thank goodness the garage blocked the wind!

You sir are a good friend! In the garage it was manageable but outside it was darn right fridge.

It was so cold that my towel to dry my hands off was hardening within minutes and the foam from the wash (oxi-clean free and water) was freezing to the kegs and bucket (DIY keg & Carnot washer).

Back