Asymptomatic Covid and Beer Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if I just snagged a strain of asymptomatic covid.

I have had covid, and I had some issues with beer tasting harsh. I mentioned it here. I like putting crystal malt in my beers, so they generally have a little sweetness to them. When I had covid, it was like the crystal malt sweetness disappeared. I wondered if my beer was ruined.

It took a while to go away. I also had mild symptoms like a runny nose and so on. Today I have no symptoms other than the issue with the taste of beer.

Yesterday, I poured myself a wheat beer, and it was so harsh I wondered if I had overdosed it with carbonic acid by increasing the CO2. Today, I got the same harshness with a lager I brewed. I did jack up the wheat beer's gas, but the lager is at 10, where it has been for a long time.

I am getting ready to keg my first imperial stout, and I was concerned that it might be too sweet. Today it seems much drier.

Anyone else here get taste swings with no other symptoms?

Wondering if I just snagged a strain of asymptomatic covid.

I have had covid, and I had some issues with beer tasting harsh. I mentioned it here. I like putting crystal malt in my beers, so they generally have a little sweetness to them. When I had covid, it was like the crystal malt sweetness disappeared. I wondered if my beer was ruined.

It took a while to go away. I also had mild symptoms like a runny nose and so on. Today I have no symptoms other than the issue with the taste of beer.

Yesterday, I poured myself a wheat beer, and it was so harsh I wondered if I had overdosed it with carbonic acid by increasing the CO2. Today, I got the same harshness with a lager I brewed. I did jack up the wheat beer's gas, but the lager is at 10, where it has been for a long time.

I am getting ready to keg my first imperial stout, and I was concerned that it might be too sweet. Today it seems much drier.

Anyone else here get taste swings with no other symptoms?
Remember back at the beginning of that NEIPA thread where I warned you NOT to drink that stuff . . . . And then you did . . . . Just saying . . . .

Loss or distortion of taste/smell is not uncommon. I'm not a doctor, but I suppose having that as the only symptom is possible.

Go to the store and buy some beer you're familiar with, something you know shouldn't be harsh. See if you get the same effect.

The push mower has worked out great. A gasoline engine would have been a needless expense, and I am confident the effort of pushing will tone the wife up in no time.

As for covid, a day or two back, she said she couldn't smell something we were eating. Today, she cleaned the master bath with bleach and nearly gassed herself. She should smell the fumes until she had trouble breathing. So apparently, she caught the bug from me.

No other symptoms, which is good, because there are some partially-buried boulders in the front yard, and they're not going to move themselves.

I'd want proof his Spousal Unit still exists in our shared Reality, and isn't a permanent resident of some septic tank (it's apparently "a thing" Down South :oops: )

I just saw some turnip-IQ journalists telling people about the vital new boosters, which are surely just as harmless and effective as the old ones, and the importance of the isolation period. I truly had no idea there was an isolation period.

Hundreds of millions or even billions of people are asymptomatic or have such light symptoms they have no idea they're ill. There is no way to measure their numbers or detect them. They are roaming the globe right now without masks, spewing viruses everywhere, and they will never stop. There is no way to prevent it unless everyone tests every day, with much better tests than we have now.

Not really sure how much good it will do to isolate the ones with obvious symptoms while public spaces are full of virus cannons who aren't aware they're infected.

Think I'll go to Rural King and cough on some old people.

Man, how nice it is to be able to enjoy a beer again. Just poured a glass of my latest ale, after downing a tasty wheat beer.

I should be careful to remember that other people have had real problems with coronavirus, so spending several days unable to enjoy beer is trivial, but still...it's always a relief when I pour a glass and realize my taste buds are back.

Back