What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my blackberry wheat to a keg. Failed to bottle my other blackberry wheat last night. Hoping to do that today.

Monday: Started my starter
Tuesday: Weighed out grain
Wed: Stepped up starter and crush grain
Thur: Homebrew Meeting, Replace broken stc
Fri: Prep water and set up brewery
Sat: Brew
Sun: Drink homebrew?

monday: Started my starter
tuesday: Weighed out grain
wed: Stepped up starter and crush grain
thur: Homebrew meeting, replace broken stc
fri: Prep water and set up brewery
sat: Brew & drink homebrew
sun: Drink homebrew?

ftfy. :)

Today I drilled my cooler and added a spigot. Also coiled my immersion chiller to the size that fits my kettle.

Got everything from brewday cleaned & stored last night. Dampfbier is bubbling lightly & steadily @ 72F,even though it's downright chilly in here this morning. Story says the Germans brewed it @ 70F. Gotta check the saison & see how close it is to FG. Two batches brewing & two conditioning. Being all in,what's a brewer to do?...:mug:

Made up the second step of starter building up bottle dregs from Coniston Bluebird Bitter. The yeast will make the determination of when I'm ready to brew, but I'm planning on a brewday of my first round of clone (of what will surely be many) either next weekend or the following weekend.

Made up the second step of starter building up bottle dregs from Coniston Bluebird Bitter. The yeast will make the determination of when I'm ready to brew, but I'm planning on a brewday of my first round of clone (of what will surely be many) either next weekend or the following weekend.

Good beer, thanks for the recommend. Got a spare to share with my uncle when he gets back from England. Viable yeast? I guess I ought to make up a bitter out of dregs as well.

Good beer, thanks for the recommend. Got a spare to share with my uncle when he gets back from England. Viable yeast? I guess I ought to make up a bitter out of dregs as well.

Definitely viable yeast. Whether or not it's the fermentation strain remains to be seen (I sent an email to the brewery asking, but never heard back, and couldn't find anything conclusive online), but I know most English brewers who bottle condition use the same strain (unlike most continental brewers), but it appears to be given the aroma of the first round of starter.

Just bottled a Brett saison I made using wlp670. Its been sitting in secondary on oak cubes and then was just dry hopped for 7 days with calypso. I haven't brewed since April so I am hoping to fire up the kettle this weekend.

Transferred a batch of strawberry blonde off the strawberries to tertiary, and brewed a batch of rye pale ale. Fell short on the og so threw in some more lme.

Just bottled my steam beer fermented with us-05. I am brewing another steam beer with the exact same recipe but will use the proper lager yeast, wlp810.

Just wanted to use the opportunity to evaluate the difference in the two strains by the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cleaned taps and lines. Tapped an Irish stout and checked gravity on my ESB. Gravity and flavor is good on the ESB. Should be able to get it in the keg tomorrow.

Started cold crashing the extract Imperial Red I got to get a free bubbler from Midwest, after 10 days of dry hopping. Sniffed my fermenting apfelwein. Tasted my Belgian Quad (which has like two more years to age before it will be worth a damn, but I can tell it's going to be worth a DAYYYYUM when it's done). Looked at my German Ale just because (nothing really exciting here...fermentation is most likely finished and I'm just waiting another week before cold conditioning).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Cleaned two kegs that had kicked. & cleaned the lines in my kegerator that had been used for each.
Put my dry chocolate stout in to cold crash.

Received and put away my restock of some brewing supplies. A couple pounds of hops, 75 pounds of malts, and 500 bottle caps. That should do me for a little while.

Bottled my Columbus ipa and emptied some bottles...

Columbus IPA? I'm interested in this. I've just recently discovered the magic of Columbus hops myself. I've dry hopped with them, used them in late additions, and I have one brew going now where I used a small quantity at 90 min for bittering in tandem with a more traditional hop.

So far, I know I love the taste of Columbus in late additions and dry hopping. It is very floral in my opinion and has a very pronounced presence.

Please, tell me more about this Columbus IPA.

Columbus IPA? I'm interested in this. I've just recently discovered the magic of Columbus hops myself. I've dry hopped with them, used them in late additions, and I have one brew going now where I used a small quantity at 90 min for bittering in tandem with a more traditional hop.

So far, I know I love the taste of Columbus in late additions and dry hopping. It is very floral in my opinion and has a very pronounced presence.

Please, tell me more about this Columbus IPA.

Obviously it wasn't carbed yet but the taste was pretty good and the aroma was fantastic. I thnk it is going to be extremely drinkable. First time brewing it

Kicked a keg of root beer which opened up a space in the fridge - then I struggled with the temptation to keg my Golden Promise lawnmower beer after 12 days in the fermenter. Good sense won out and I'll let it sit in the fermenter for another week.

Update: I have a keg of a lager that had a major case of acetaldehyde. I heard that heat can make that dissipate so I put the keg in the hot garage for a month or so, occasionally venting and repressurizing it.

Whaddya know - the acetaldehyde seems to be gone so that keg gets the empty space in the fridge.

Huh. Interesting that the hot garage worked to get rid of it. I'll have to remember that. I just took a 1st FG on my saison that started life @ OG 1.044. It's down to FG .996 this morning! I know 3711 goes down low,but geeze! That's 6.93% ABV by Cooper's formula.:ban:

Picked up a new mash/lauter tun Coleman Extreme 5 from Wally World for 30 bucks. I measured 3/4 cup dead space which is a huge improvement over the 1/2 gal in my 20 yr old cooler. Plus the walls, bottom, and lid have a cpl inches of insulation vs the 1/2 inch in the old one. I'm looking for much improved temp control with it.

Pitched my 1.5 liter starter in my Cali Common and saw bubbles at the 5th hour! Damn that's exciting...

Checked my "Infected" Vienna Simcoe SMaSH part D (WF3 yeast, I think) a few days ago and found it wasn't infected after all, so I tossed in a few grams of Calypso for a dry-hop (guess it's not a SMaSH anymore). Tossed in another 4-5 grams just now and started swamp cooling it to try to clear out some of the hop mess. Bottling that and my Red Tea Wheat in a couple days.

I've made up my plan for my latest barleywine brewed with Danstar Saison yeast. I'm leaving for a short vacation this Weds, and I'll put in 1 oz of Columbus for a dry hopping before I leave. When I get back this next Sat, I'll bottle.

I didn't DO anything for beer today, but I was given a sixer of New Glarus beers!!! Also some Northwoods products (a friend came back from Wisconsin!)... I have a Spotted Cow!!! Woop woop! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402329675.242827.jpg

Prepping materials and handouts for an All Grain Brewing Course for Community Education as a follow up to the Intro to Brewing with Extract Kits course I taught in March.

Kicked a keg of citrusy strawberry blonde, cleaned 3 kegs, kegged a strawberry blonde, and kegging/bottling a batch of apfelwein. And cleaned/sanitized my jockey box beer line.

Bottled 5.5 gallons of 红云之东 (S-04 wheat with Yunnan red tea, finished at 1.004!) and 1 gallon of my corrupted Vienna-Simcoe SMaSH (the gallon fermented on mysterious "WF3" yeast from one of the popular Chinese homebrew shops), which sat in the bucket for an extra 40 days at increasing temps (up to about 29C) while I thought it was infected until I checked a week ago, found no infection, and decided to double dry-hop with Calypso.

Other than that, I cleaned my bottling equipment (which means hot water - I really need to find some Oxy-clean in China), drank about 3/4 liter of uncarbonated (but chilled) beer, and updated my signature here.

Back