What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the clarification

I thought he was trying to say 'beer' and accidentally held down the shift key and hit the '8' key four times instead. I was feeling a great deal of suspense until he posted that clarification. And what a twist! He wasn't trying to say 'beer' at all!

Maybe he should post the name of the bar so we can make sure to steer clear. Any tavern that serves glasses of defecate matter, much less overhopped, unbalanced defecate matter, is worth avoiding.

Ive been working periodically for about a week on this. I turned an old rusted ass junk file cabinet into a mill cabinet. Who needs to store files anyways. :D

The front "door" piece of wood is held on by magnets that are sunk in and glued to the wood. I'm pretty pleased with this over just setting the mill on a bucket. Also, the mill is bolted down to the cabinet in twelve spots. Its not going anywhere.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403051512.826317.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403051552.860348.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403051581.505754.jpg

Ive been working periodically for about a week on this. I turned an old rusted ass junk file cabinet into a mill cabinet. Who needs to store files anyways. :D

The front "door" piece of wood is held on by magnets that are sunk in and glued to the wood. I'm pretty pleased with this over just setting the mill on a bucket. Also, the mill is bolted down to the cabinet in twelve spots. Its not going anywhere.

Looks good!

I've lovingly smashed, coddled, swished and shaken my Wyeast 2035 to pitch in my pilsner boil from last night...I finished at 12:10 AM so technically it was what I did for beer today. I wanted this pitch ready for today but why oh why wont you puff out little packs? This is my second batch of lager yeast from Wyeast that has not activated within 24 hours. Not sure what to make of it except bummer yeast and maybe back to dry. I keep telling myself I'm going to start my own. Good day.

Bottled an English IPA recipe (obtained from a brewer whose recipe I loved), and a saison half batch. Both tasted awesome...

Purchased two sets of grain/hops/yeast for my best friend's next two brews as his birthday present. And while I was at LHBS, clearly had to get supplies for my next one, too.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Bottled my Mild. Hoping it turns out alright but I wouldn't know a good one from a bad since I haven't had the style before.

Pulled the trigger and bought one on amazon...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
In fairness, you probably could have started a new thread to ask and got the answers you needed, hopefully.

love!

Kegged up 10 gallons of zombie dust

Funny, I emailed some random stranger online to see if he would let me come over and drink some of his 10 gallons if ZD clone!

Today for beer I did nada. I drank it and checked my saison to be sure it wasn't exploding in the ferm chamber.

Harvested about two liters of rice wine last night.

Okay, I *bottled* two liters of rice wine last night. I *harvested* about two and a third. Can't for the life of me figure out what happened to the last third of a liter :tank:

Thats weird... Is there another Clankenbrew because those arent my quotes but thats my screen name.

I did post the.. Pulled the trigger one.. New barley crusher... ETA today.

Got my book about a home brewer turned pro available on amazon this morning. It's a dystopian sci-fi story about how the NWO changed the world over night & how My character tries to change things. I also got the first FG on the dampfbier yesterday. It's at FG 1.010 now. But needs a bit more clearing.

Trying to shake a nightmare I had where I racked my IPA to the keg, only to realize I hadn't added my hops :confused:

Got my book about a home brewer turned pro available on amazon this morning. It's a dystopian sci-fi story about how the NWO changed the world over night & how My character tries to change things. I also got the first FG on the dampfbier yesterday. It's at FG 1.010 now. But needs a bit more clearing.

What is the name of this book?

And do not listen to the 1-2-3 that many kits still profess for fermentation times. You can usually get away without a secondary unless racking ontop of fruit or something or bulk conditioning for a long time. Ferment by gravity, when it is the same for two hydrometer readings over 3 days its ready to be packaged.

And remember to relax, don't worry, it will still be beer.

I appreciate the tips! I've been reading HBT for several months now, and the amount of knowledge and information that everyone shares on here is immeasurable. I'm looking forward to finally getting my feet wet and getting started.

Racked my Hop Stoopid clone into kegs for conditioning; put my club brewed APA on tap; cleaned secondary BB's; set up my dehumidifiers for my Ale ferm chamber & beer fridge

Bottled my oatmeal cookie porter and my darth vader black ipa.

I ground 48# of grain today. My recipe calls for a mash of 15.5 gallons and my cooler mash tun is only 17.5 gallon. Think it will hold it?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403222724.223078.jpg

Any suggestions? Can I reduce my mash and maybe sparge more? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403222824.475673.jpg

I ground 48# of grain today. My recipe calls for a mash of 15.5 gallons and my cooler mash tun is only 17.5 gallon. Think it will hold it?View attachment 206654

Any suggestions? Can I reduce my mash and maybe sparge more? View attachment 206656

You will just have to have a very thick mash, nothing over 1 qt/lb and it will fit. And you will have to batch sparge 3-4 times to get it all haha

Well yesterday, bottled my hard root beer. I'm surprised to see that as of today the plastic bottles aren't even hard. I assumed they would be solid in 18 hours. Interesting to see that they're not.

Took delivery on this bad boy today... after a recent carboy explosion and loss of 5 gallons of wonderfulness, I'm psyched

2014-06-20 15.26.24.jpg

Started my first all grain batch today.. Oh boy. Balls out I dump 8 gallons of water in the tun and start mashing in while the hlt drains into the cooler. 48# of grain goes in and just about 15 gallons total water.
I get it full to the top and start taking temp reading while stirring. If i wasn't looking at the wrong side of tge glass thermometer i would have hit my 148.
It drops to 136 and i starting draining some to make room for hotter water...stuck sparge and all... Twice and Im finally at 145ish and thats the best its gonna get.
So 25 minutes into my mash im finally close to temp. Ever try lifting a 70qt cooler thats full?

Had to dump a full batch of a failed sMasH. Best part is I now have bottles for my California common!

So... Ran a batch last night... Was tough by myself.
Missed my mash temp with a full cooler reading wrong scale on thermometer. Drained a bit into my sparge water and boiled some extra to bring temp up. 145 should have been 148. As good as i could get it. Lost a bunch more than expected... Ended up with 12.5 of the theretical 15.4 after boil. SG should have been 1.096 missed that at 1.062.... Bad efficiency. Pitched yeast this morning... Was up till 12:30 last night. Next time!!!

Turned HBT notifications back on. Also ordered ingredients for NB's all-grain Kama Citra. I'll be brewing that with some friends who are not homebrewers... yet. I need to bottle a batch today that's been sitting in the fermenter WAY too long.

Made my first mash tun from a ten gal cooler... Bottled 5 gal of California Common lager and washed the yeast cake.

Back